1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

differences from tranny on my 2 jeeps

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by cherokeeman, Jan 25, 2009.

1. cherokeeman

cherokeeman Member

my wife ownes a 1998 grand cherokee with a 4 liter inline six her tranny sometimes slips and shifts with a banging sound while shifting i took it to tranny shop the guy pluged into the tranny comp told me there was nothing wrong all dodge trannys have the same problems i own a1996 cherokee with a 4 liter inline six my jeep is so much stronger in all asspects my tranny is so much stronger than hers i was told my tranny was made by toyota co is that true ive been plowing with my jeep for 7 years never had any problems /

2. MJD82

MJD82 Member

Well the grand probably has a mopar electronic 4-5 speed tranny especially if it has the full-time quadra-trac the XJ most likely has the asain-warner 4 commonly known as the AW4, the AW4 is an excellent trans will last 200,000 miles or more with scheduled matinence. Mine has 160,000 with no problems. Hope this will help

3. rzl-dzl

rzl-dzl Junior Member
    from BC

ya the aw4, which is on the XJ, is put on toyota supra turbos and handle 400hp no problem...its the transmission you want to have

4. jeepwannab

jeepwannab Member
    from ny

can the aw4 be easily adapted for a jeep wrangler?, i didnt know these could handle that kind of power

5. MJD82

MJD82 Member

the aw4 is electronically controlled so you would have to wire a transmission control unit into the main harness possibly add sensors depending on the model maybe even a ecm and main harness swap. if you want an overdrive trans that can withstand some abuse and power look into a gm 700-r4 or 200-4r i believe the buick olds pontiac versions will bolt to the 4.0 with a custom converter all you would have to run is the throttle valve cable. But then you would need an adapter to the t-case and maybe custom driveshafts. Don't know if this will help but its food for thought.