1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Difference in using Blower vs. Plow shovel?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by oldschoo, Nov 16, 2007.

1. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Wondering what the diference would be between using a shovel and using a $600-700 dual stage blower would be time wise. I'm saying if u are using one of those large plowing shovels vs the blower which one would be faster on most avg drive ways and walkways?
    I already have over 20 lawn care accounts that most want service and hope to pick up 10-15 extra jobs each snow event. I definetely plan on picking up a blower or "snow thrower" whatever is the correct term. Will it save much time per drive though? Or is it faster to use a shovel? Another thing is how is the vibration as opposed to a large walk behind mower, about the same, less, more?

2. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

The blower might not be great for a little bit of snow but when you have 6-12 inches of snow you will love that blower

3. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

So are u saying that the blower would be much easier and faster than shoveling once it gets over say 6 or 8 inches?

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Use a shovel. Much easier to figure out how to operate and cheaper. Easier to carry too.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

oldschoo,

I applaud your effort.
    You have been trying to start snow shoveling business but
    you seam to be out of touch with reality.

This is done mostly by 12 to 13yr olds for candy money.
    You were going to travel around with your girlfriend chasing the snow storms and staying in hotel rooms.

You plain on getting money by showing up on peoples steeps and asking if they want there drive shoveled.
    Then you were going to put a snowblower in your trunk and drive around having your girlfriend knocking on doors soliciting business.

Well how is it going?

By now you could have made enough money working at a fast food restaurant to buy a cheep plow truck.

I just can not figure you out.
    There is no money in shoveling or blowing snow, just chump change.

I think you are waisting your time with the snowblower and shovel show.
    JMO:waving:

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

i think..

he is a little kid.....NO OFFENSE... thats cool. too....sorry i just checked your prifile, your an adult.. you need to be insured to do this you know, do you have general liablilty for your lawn service, and are you legitamate licensed business?

7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

whatever i was paid to do a driveway goes up about 25% to get out of my truck and start shoveling. i hope i never have to use a shovel again:nod: get 2 blowers so you and ur woman can fight the snow together. wat a bonding experience.:cool:

8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I thought it went to $0 not up 25% if you have to get out of your truck.
    As IN, I'm not doing that if I have to get out and shovel.:waving:

I can it now,
    As the banjo music fades in.....
    Dueling snow blowers....:D

9. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

My 05 throws black smoke if you granny it then punch it. Not a continuous amount, but a good cloud.
    -------------------------------------
    yay, smog is such a wonderful thing! go ego's!

10. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

yes thats what I am saying

11. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

It's going great! I have a sucessful lawn care biz in which i make 2-3 times what I did waiting tables and last year I did good on the days I put flyers out and knocked on doors. It's funny how u remember my trials and tribulations better than I do. I can't stand pessimists. If I had your attitude I would just go on the street corner and beg for change!
    My money has went into the LC biz. THere's more consistent money in that than snow removal. I'm glad I did since that is a 7-8 month/year biz vs snow removal which is only 3-4 months or less here.

12. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

No u don't have to have a license here in IN to do this kind of thing or insurance.

13. hydro_37

from iowa

Dang boy....you are crazy not to have insurance. What if you throw a rock through a window and kill someone??? There goes your business. If you plan to do snow removal without insurance then you better stick with a shovel. Not sure you should even be shoveling. :dizzy: :dizzy:

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Here we go again. I know how SnoFarmer will handle this.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

LOL, But I told Mr.D I would try to be a good boy for a few days;)

Naw, What does he need INS for?
    What could go wrong using a sno-blower?
    His lawn care business probably is uninsured too?
    You are right there is no law requiring you to buy INS oldschoo.
    It's just common sense.
    Is your GF an employee or a business partner?
    She will sue you when she looses her fingers trying to clear the auger.

Do you have a business lic?

How do you transport your mowers?
    What kind of mowers are you using?
    Can a blower or a small atv blade be mounted on them?

Your sucessful lawn care bussiness should be able to afford a truck and plow.
    You can find a used plow rig for 4 or 5k that should give you a few years of good use.

My recommendations would be to skip the sno-blowers and step up to the ranks of being professional. The neighbors 12 year old uses a sno-blower and charges $15 bucks a drive he is your competition.

Sit down and go over the numbers I really do not think you have put much thought in to this.

In your first post you are concerned about "vibrations" Why?

As for my memory, it is fairly good and I remember your attitude too.
    So am surprised That I'm taking time to respond to you.:waving:.
    There is a nice spot kitty corner from me you can beg on after your first law suite.
    Just bring your own Sharpe and some card-board so you can make your own sign.payup

Anyway good luck with your endeavors.
    He said with a sarcastic tone.:D

16. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

I'm suprised too. As I didn't even bother to read this reply. I'm not asking about insurance or lisences! I want to know the facts about productivity with blower vs shovel. It's amazing how people like 2 discourage on these sites. If I break a window I'll just pay for it. It costs much less in the long run than enriching the insurance companies. The odds of hittting someone with a rock blowing or shoveling on a paved surface are almost zero and the odds of hitting them in the face is even less. So tell me, which insurance agency do u work for?

17. hydro_37

from iowa

Geeee. now this is a tough question.....Not too hard to figure out either. A blower that has an engine that will keep going as long as there is gas in it OR a person with a shovel that will tire.....HMMMMM :dizzy:

18. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

i like to use my back pack blower for the light snow...works awsome

19. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

what kind of backpack i bought a bg 600 in the spring and thought about useing it this winter?

20. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i wonder how it turned out for oldschoo.... too bad he hasnt been on since january