1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Difference in 01 , and 06 2500hd

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 67Mopar, Jan 13, 2014.

1. 67Mopar

67Mopar Junior Member

both are 6.0 engines
    Having problems hooking up a plow on a 06 gmc, on the 01 i have a 2 plug set up no iso, 3 relays, on the 06 there are only 2 relays, and I cant get the headlights to shut off. The plow functioned for a brief time, but now it just shuts off the fishstick, like it has a bad ground or crossed up wire.

all the connections are secure dielectric greas and clean, the 9 pin plug is new , also when the blade is lifted the lighs go out as if it draws all the power the truck has and exhausts it. Could use some suggestions on where and what to look at next

Thanks for any input.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

have you cked the grn wires on the truckside? its sounds like the 06 isn't telling the plow harness that its connected and to turn the lights on

3. 67Mopar

67Mopar Junior Member

is there much of a difference in the 01, and 06 gmc 2500 with a 6.0 that I might be missing ? I mean the wires just plug in, and we even tried to isolate the headligight just to get plow to go.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What if the main gnd on the 06 is corroded and you can't see it or overlooked it? Wiring is pretty much the same. Just install is different

5. 67Mopar

67Mopar Junior Member

its raining here so reall cant get into it, but thats the next step we are gonna run a new main ground battery to frame, and hit any place along the path that looks suspect, but its all really clean. If we had the money we would have gotten all the right parts, and this truck is a casual plow truck, its not a money maker. but we had success with the 01, but on that I used a 98 harness, with the existing 3 relays already in line, so I figure it cant hurt to pick the minds of experts. Thanks

6. 67Mopar

67Mopar Junior Member

Ok so far checked all the wires seem good, replaced motor with known good motor, Plug in fishstick, it shuts off, take that fishstick to known good plow, angles then shuts off, take known good joystick to problem truck, and when I raise , it stays on and I have to unplug controller, same with left and right. wtf is going on here, known good truck uses joystick box , cleaning fishstick suspect it might be bad but why wont it work with joystick box that works on known good truck???