1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Difference between poly and steel which is better

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MSsnowplowing, Sep 22, 2013.

1. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Okay thinking of upgrading my plow -(western pro plus) to the new MVP3.

Now looking at them I can get it in steel or poly.

Steel weighs 940 pounds, poly 890 besides the difference in weight for the front end any pros or cons going the poly route?

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You need to buy the 9.5 V plow

All depends what truck you going put it on some trucks needs poly some can handle the steel plow

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  3. MSsnowplowing

I'm putting it on my f350,

the 9.5 poly weighs 972 pounds the steel 1022 pounds.

Knowing my contracts the 8.5 fits perfect for my needs and still allows to get into tight spots if needed and the weight is fine for the front end steel or poly.

I wouldn't mind going poly for the lower weight for less wear and tear on the front end.

But having always used a steel plow not sure if poly can hold up over time like a steel one.

4. Antlerart06

I have a 9.5 steel on a F350 Dually In V mode or scoop it does cut my tires out a 8.5 wont
    My friend has a poly and he has already replace the poly once I'm still on same steel skin both plows are 09 MVP
    When I bought mine the steel was cheaper then the poly ones.
    Is it still that way?

5. MSsnowplowing

Don't know about price, going to look at them tomorrow.

and hopefully they will have steel and poly so I can compare them

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have both and would take a poly over steel every time.

The biggest difference I find is the snow sticks to the steel in some situations. This adds a lot of front end weight and reduces your plowing speed.

Besides some nicks on the side we have never damaged the poly.

If your posted weights are correct, this is the first time I've seen steel weighing more then poly.

7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

Yes steel is heavier than poly in the MVP+ and MVP3. But the only difference is the skin itself. The frame is all the same, and the skins are interchangeable. Snow's not supposed to stick to poly as much and you don't have to worry about rust spots on the face of the blade after a few years.
    And yes, poly is higher in price. We sell pretty much 50/50.

8. MSsnowplowing

I always got a can of non-stick spray and sprayed my blade before a storm, never had much sticking problems with snow.

Looks like I'm going with the steel, I got a decent price because I'm one of their better customers where I shop and I don't have to switch every thing over because I am already running the pro plus.

So now all I have to do is sell my Pro plus.

thanks for info guys.

9. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

your pro plus isn't a fleet flex, is it? so you'd have a good part of the wiring and the control that would be different than what you have on the truck now.

10. Antlerart06

I wax mine in the fall and never had sticking issue

You installing your self or you have dealer do it?

11. MSsnowplowing

your pro plus isn't a fleet flex, is it? so you'd have a good part of the wiring and the control that would be different than what you have on the truck now.

No it isn't, different wiring so I can't keep my pro as backup. But I sold it, $2,800.
    -------
    I wax mine in the fall and never had sticking issue
    You installing your self or you have dealer do it?

Dealer installed, been using the same guys for 7 years now, they do great work and the best part is they are open during any storm regardless of the time so if something happens at 2am you can drive there and they fix it.
    And good idea on the wax, going to try that, thanks.
    -------
    Oh and the new MVP 3, wow, I can't wait for the snow to try her out.

12. Antlerart06

Your plow looks good that's for sure.

I hate to pay someone to do something that I can do

My dealer is 60 miles away ,so a person learn few things over the years

I found out turtle wax works the best.

I need get mine done ,I started on the V plow today removed the old edge. I build my own cutting edges
    and that's what I'm doing now in my free time 5/8'' x 8'' on the ends I weld 5/8'' x 8'' x 6'' to double it up for wear bars.
    They wear the same maybe little longer then the factory edges but mine are half the price.