1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

difference between MMI and MMII?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by NHplwguy77, Jan 7, 2009.

1. NHplwguy77

NHplwguy77 Member

i have found a few used plows and am not sure what the difference is? i have a 2004 1500 chevy and am looking at a year 2000 MMI 7.5 whats the difference and would it work on my truck being a 2 plug system or do i need a 3 plug system MMII? :dizzy:

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

The MMI doesn't have quite as advanced a coupling system as the MMII (similar, but a little easier with the MMII), the MMI's frame design is a little different, and some of the MMI's may not have the Insta-act hydraulic unit- may have the older electric/hydraulic setup (one that looks like a "block" with the raise cylinder sticking out of the top of it). As long as you have the correct wiring, I don't see why the older 2 plug MMI wouldn't work.

3. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

How much you paying for a 2000 mm1? How rusty is it? No you dont need a mm2. But if you are about to buy a mm1 for the price of a mm2. You may want to reconsider it

4. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

You don't need a MMII but you do need a 3 plug system be it MMI or MMII.

I bought a cable from a guy that converts a 2 plug MMI into a 3 plug MMI. I never used it b/c I bought a 3 plug MMI.

If you do buy a 2 plug MMI and you would like this cable, I payed $50 for is + shipping(that was cheaper then any of the local Fisher dealers). You can have it for $50 shipped.

Good luck,
    beatle78

5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

If you truck is a two plug, you need a two plug plow.

6. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

Aside from electrical, MM2 uses a different A-Frame and moldboard.

The MM2...

1. A MM2 A-frame will fit both MM1 and MM2 headgear

2. A MM2 A-frame will only fit MM2 plow

3. A MM1 plow will not fit MM2 A-frame

So, if you need a new plow, you're going to need a new A-frame. Also, check the spacing of the "ears" on you're old headgear, there were 2 different sizes.

Tim

7. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

I thought after 2003 all GM 1500 trucks were 3 plug?

8. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

Ok, so you will get a kick out of this. I have been borrowing a friends truck here and there. He had a MM2 plugs with the MM1 frame. I tried to hook up my old boss' MM1 to move it and could not. The frame was a different size. It wouldn't even attach to the truck, much less the plugs.
    If you already have 1 MM1 wiring on your truck just stick with that, especially if you have push plate's on it too. New wiring and push plates can get really expensive. If you don't have all that on your truck, go with a MM2, with the 3 plug sys. They have a more advanced powder coating on it, and it will be a little easier to hook up and take off. Often you can apply the whole "new isn't better" theory, but in this case I personally think that the MM2 is a better buy. Don't forget either, that a NEW painted MM2 can be pretty close to what it would cost to piece together. A dealer up here in just under 4grand for a new one with a two year warranty.

9. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

No but a MM2 A frame will fit into a MM1 Head gear

Jay

10. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

see what I typed for 1.

11. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

Lang'sxysport corner?