1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

difference between fisher paint and metal paint from homedepot

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by snowman91, Nov 4, 2008.

1. What's the difference between the yellow metal paint I can buy from home depot and fisher paint? (And I'm talking about the paint you buy in the can that you roll on not spray form)

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Buy the home depot stuff.....in order to make the fisher paint work effectively you have to do a TON of prep work and the surface needs to be pretty much perfect. I did the back of my blade last year with the fisher stuff and the front with a custom rustoleum mix a local paint place does to match the fisher color. Even with the high impact of the front, it held up MUCH better than the back. So unless you have access to a sandblaster and have the time to spend making the surface nice a clean, just buy the home depot stuff....close enough color match and will probably work better than the fisher paint.

-mike-

3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

i'm in the process of repainting both my plows with rustoleum from home depot. They sell a primer that seems to be pretty good, I just put that on today.

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I'm using Rustoleum Safety Yellow. It's a little bright, but whatever.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

This is true but you can buy a primer sealer for acylic enamel paints and it's the best stuff known to man. We just painted 3 harness's and a snow bucket today and the expensive paint and primer is worth every penny. No need to sand blast just use a wire wheel and clean with laquer thinner 3 times and start priming. JMO

6. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Go to ACE hardware and get the yellow marking paint(solvent based) in a spray can. 7.99 .great match and dries in 5 min...worked great on mine...oh and lasts

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I always spray a Clear Coat on after painting. Makes the blade slicker and snow doesn't stick.

8. mcwlandscaping

Didn't know that...learn something new everyday! Can you give me anymore information about this primer?

-mike-

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's $90 /gallon here but it goes a long way. You have to spray it but it paints over any kind of paint and it covers well ion one coat. I could paint probably 12 blades with a gallon of primer. You can buy it in any size you want though. Go to an auto paint store and just ask them for a really good primer sealer. The best part is this stuff dries in like 5 min, allowing you to apply your top coats right after. We always used rust paints up untill 3 years ago and after using good paint I will never go back. We use an Aycrilic Enamel for our top coat with an hardener and reducer.

10. mcwlandscaping

Thank you!! that is very much appreciated!

-mike-

11. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I am going with a factory recondition and powder coating. Anyone need some POR 15? Limited supply. I only have $800 of the stuff! BlackCote, Glistren Clear Cote, Self etching primer, gray POR 15 Primer Paint, Sulotion, metal clean, Marine clean. I got it all.