1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Differance GMC - Chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by pollini, Nov 24, 2003.

1. pollini

pollini Junior Member
    from MA

Hi guys,

I'm a new to the site.:D and it's pretty cool. Lots of great informaiton.

Since I am out shopping for a new truck...well new to me.

I was looking for a GMC 2001 2500 HD reg cab. What I have foud so far is a 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD reg cab. I know that they are from the same builder...but are there any "real " differances between the two?

People I have spoken to prefer the GMC over the Chevy? Any idea why...they come off the same production line?

Thanks.

2. HDROCK

HDROCK Junior Member

I have a Chevy 2001 2500HD that has been a good truck. I ordered my truck in October of 2000 right before they started releasing the HD's. I have learned a few times at the dealer that my truck is actually a GMC. The demand when the HD's came out was so great that Chevy could not keep up and they actually had GMC plants building some of the Chevy Trucks. This has been a great truck. You will know if it is a GMC in disguise if one of the RPO codes is GMC and it has a Chevy Badge. At my dealer some of the trucks came in during that period with GMC steering Wheels and Chevy Bowties on the front. It really does not matter they are both great trucks.

GMC-- Great Made Chevrolet

:waving:

Welcome to the Site Iam new as well :)

3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

POLL.........Same trucks...just different sheetmetal
    and option pkgs.
    On GMC auto trans. is standard, Chevy optional
    (at least in 01). Thus on the surface GMC costs
    more than Chevy............

Any one would be the same and great for plowing!

Be sure before you buy any brand GM truck for plowing
    usage to look in glove box for RPO code list !

Make sure to look for VYU code.....This is the factory
    snow plow prep pkg.
    It will have all the plow ready goodies ie: HD susp.,
    heavier front torsion bars, bigger alternator,
    trans and PS coolers, extra steel skid plates, extra
    wiring extensions on headlights and such, pre drilled
    hole in firewall, wiring in ceiling for strobe light etc,,!~

EASY way to know is look on dash next to pass. airbag
    cutoff switch...There will be a "aux. light" button.
    This is to operate the wires in ceiling to hook up to
    roof beacon lights.
    If its there you have factory plow prep. pkg.!
    ........geo

4. phoenix827

phoenix827 Member

Last I had heard, (a few years back) GMC was a "slightly" heavier version of a chevy . As in Chevy S10 vs GMC S15. SUPPOSEDLY the S15 has a slightly higher GVW then the S10. IDK for sure, just passing along what I have heard! Makes sense to me tho, This is from back when everything DIDN"T look the same! There had to be a little difference between cars/trucks.

5. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I don't know who you've been talking to but they are thes same trucks. I have been at the factory and saw both rolling down the line... the only differences are the sheet metal and the way they package the options.

6. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

Some of the confusion might come from the slightly different model designations, such as a K20 Chevy vs. a K25 GMC. The models are actually identical in weight rating.

The similarity of models and body styles goes at least as far back as '73. My '75 is a K25 GMC Sierra Classic, but is listed as having Silverado trim. The only differences from the Chevy pickup Silverado trim is the GMC badges on my tailgate, dash, steering wheel, etc.

Bruce