1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

diff,. oil

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dlcs, Nov 22, 2010.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

How often do you guys change your diff. oil? My 07 chevy 2500 has 52,000 miles, just wondering how often it should be done. I know the owners manual says its not neccesary unless its leaking or i hear noise coming from the rear end but..... What oil do you guys prefer, specs are 75w-90 syn. and must meet "9986115" GM code.
  2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

just did mine front and back 21bucks a qrt 6 qrt call chevy make sure your getting the right oil
  3. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

I would do both. To me, the money spent now to prevent a big headache is priceless. The 75-90 is good for both. Check on the price of the amsoil stuff. If you sign up for the prefered customer deal for 20 bucks you get dealer pricing on all items. Your first order is usually a wash, but subsequent orders its a good savings.
  4. tac48

tac48 Member

Your right the manual says it is not necessary, but I would drain and refill it, especially if you are working the truck. It takes synthetic and the gm synthetic brakes down to fast in my opinion. I would also use a good 75w-140 synthetic lube. It is pricey, but cheap insurance in the long run. I really like the HD lube made by BG Products, but any good name brand will do. I like to do mine every 50 to 75k depending on how hard I work the truck and what the fluid looks like. Not a bad idea to just do both diffs, t-case, and trans fluid while you are at it. Just my .02 worth !!
  5. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

It cant hurt to change it, always better safe then sorry. MAKE SURE if it asks for synthetic that you put synthetic in it.
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Took the words right out of my mouth.....
  7. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I'm definately going to change it out. I've used Lucas and Mobil 1 in my other trucks in the past, never had any problems with either. Just kinda wanted to see what everyone else uses. Tranny fluid was change with the rebuild last summer.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I do the axles every 30k or 2yrs. Amsoil severe gear
  9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Front diff 80w90 Lucas every 2 years
    Rear diff 75w90 synthetic Mobil 1 every 2 years
    Trans drain and fill Mobil 1 synthetic yearly
    Trans filter every other year and also drain the converter as well
    Transfer case every 2 years Gm blue stuff

That is how I do mine and its got 177K on the clock and still going strong (knock on wood lol)
  10. bill7101

bill7101 Member

if the owners manual says 75W-90 use 75W-90 not 75w-140, its not good for the clutches inside and can cause more issues in the future
  11. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I change all fluid in my trucks in the fall. Every year. It's very cheap compared to the cost of replacing anything in a drive train.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You don't need the Smirf juice in your tcase just atf. I'd be interested to know how you are draining the converter
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You do in a 246 which is what Tom's truck is equipped with. ATF in a 246 causes issues.
  14. tac48

tac48 Member

Normally I would agree with you, but not in this case. I have put 75w-140 synthetic lube made by BG Products in hundreds of Chevy trucks (including my own) over the past dozen years and have yet to see it cause a problem with anything, but I guess there is a first time for everything !
  15. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Once you hear noise it's to late...

Make sure you get the right oil for the diff you have Limited slip,Locking Etc.....
  16. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

thats what I was thinking I would def. go with amsoil there is a reason it is used for many types of racing and you will not be disappointed with there products. What ever you go with just remember you get what you pay for
  17. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Your flirting with a burnt up pinion bearing in the front end using 80w90. I highly recommend synthetic in the front!
  18. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Just going by what the owner's manual says.
  19. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The only piece of advice I have for you is that you should not introduce Amsoil into the equation unless you're hoping for complete mechanical failure.

I don't know this for a fact but I think water has more lubricity than Amsoil. I would definitely recommend a different brand of oil.
  20. Holland

Holland Senior Member

I'm not disputing the fact that its what the book calls for. 2000 to 2003 had problems with the pinion bearing in the front getting a lack of lubrication. The orifice that supplies the oil to the pinion is insufficient in size to allow for proper lubrication in cold weather. Switching to synthetic in the front usually solves the problem and prevents future problems. Simply put, it flows better when cold. Starting in 2004 gm made the orfice larger to solve the problem. Ive seen quite a few have a seized up pinion bearing. It'll spin in the housing and usually wreck it. Sometimes you get lucky and can locktite the new race in to get it to stay put. Otherwise its time for a new housing. Just some friendly advice, not going to start an argument over it!:D