1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesil Exhaust ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Motoman69X@aol.com, May 10, 2001.

1. Motoman69X@aol.com

Motoman69X@aol.com Member

What is the best way to setup my Diesil Exhaust system on my 1983 Chevy k-20 with the 6.2 Diesil ? I want to straight pipe it back into 2 glass backs, With this work fine or will I will I losse power, or will I gain power ? I have it straight piped into 2 mufferles right now, Any help would be great.

Thanks Brandon

2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

I had dual probably, 2.25" pipes out of the manifolds into two stock looking muflers with the tailpipes turned out behind the rear wheels (stock setup). A friend of mine had the same setup on his, but with glass packs instead. Performance was about the same. The only way to get a little more is to go with a bigger pipe, IMO. And use a lower restriction muffler. Anyone tried a flowmaster with a diesel? I'd be curious, I love them on my gas truck now. Hope this helps.

MT

3. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

I never had a diesel with a flowmaster but i have ridden in a few with straight pipes to a flowmaster. If you like glass packs you will definately like the flows on it. To put it simply one guy with a newer fullsize chevy bogged his truck down and while he was gunning it to get it out people inside the house about a 1/10mile away thought a helicopter was landing outside. :eek: It sounds aggressive!

4. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Perfect! Do you know if it was a 6.2 or a 6.5 that the guy had?

5. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

I'm pretty sure it was a 6.5....

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

The term "straight piped" is used to describe an exhaust system without muffler(s). So technically you cant straight pipe a truck and use 2 glass packs, thats just a standard exhaust system. I personally like the sound of "turbo" mufflers over glass packs.

If its a N/A 6.2, they can get pretty loud and droaning at cruise rpm's. A turboed diesel isnt quite as harsh when straight piped and really helps power.

http://www.thedieselpage.com

7. Motoman69X@aol.com

Motoman69X@aol.com Member

All Done

Got it all done ysterday, I went straight back into 2 27inch glass backs and out the back with 3 1/2 inch cans, needless to say its loud ! Makes my freinds 350 sound nudered , Thanks Guys

Keep On Truckin !

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

My uncle had dual glass packs on his 6.2 1 ton-it rapped to much,and became annoying after plowing for hours,didnt seem to add any power either-did keep you from falling asleep plowing though.

9. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

motoman69:
    Thats the way to do it...the longer the glass pack usually the quieter at idle and better for higher speeds because they aren't as loud as say a 12inch glass pack...bet it sounds nice...hope you enjoy! My summer project is to convert my 1 in two out 2 chamber flowmaster to true dual exhaust with two three chambers and 4 1/2inch echo tips....I've had loud long enough I am going more for mellow and tone quality now. All of this is on a carb'ed 350 with no cats