1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WOODY367, Mar 9, 2006.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I am in the process of looking into buying a replacement truck. I have been looking at 2002 F250's both gas and diesel. It won't be my every day truck. I do residential plowing and plan on towing a 17" boat once in a while. Most of the people I talk to say DON"T get the diesel as the price of fuel is higher then gas and with the low sulfur fuel coming this fall it will get much higher. What is your opinion on this? I have a truck in mind and it has the 7.3 in it. I was really hoping to find a 97 F350 but they all have very high mileage and are price like $12000.00 without a plow. Thanks for any help.

2. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

Get the diesel, you wont regret it! You are not buying the truck for an everyday driver, so mileage shouldn't be the deciding factor. However, since I have switched to a diesel for plowing, I will never go back to gas again! The lowend torque that they put out pushing snow is unstoppable. You can push more snow, and push piles farther back. And, let me add that while you are pushing you will get much better mileage then you will ever get with a gasser.
    Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it!

3. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

Thats a tough call. I own both a Diesel and a V10 both ford crew cabs. The diesel will out pull anything but to tell you the truth I like plowing in my v-10 better. After sitting in a truck for 15 hours I get sick of the extra noise that a diesel makes. My V-10 is nice and quiet and has lots of power to push snow. You will pay about $4000 more for a diesel. I think its worth it if you are using it to pull alot and you are going to keep it forever, if not check out the gassers.

4. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Can't say for the dodge as they are a bit noisier than my cummins from experience.

Most diesel stations here in Canada now advertise their diesel as low sulpher and the price of diesel is rougly the same as Gas. Often cheaper, sometimes more expensive but not by more than 7-8 cents.

Personally, I would buy another diesel in a heartbeat. The added range is nice. (you get quite a bit more to a tank, but not neccesarily dollar).

It can pull anything, pass on the highway yet you won't have to worry about any speeding tickets doing more than 20 over :p

The engine is noisier than a gas, but I don't really notice it that much unless idling with the radio off.

The only major downfall is added cost. But... you will retain better resale (which isn't as good when buying used) However, if you resell it in a year, you won't lose as much as a gasser.

5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

If you are going to buy a Ford I would definetely go with the diesel truck! I have heard of and personally experienced Ford's new gasser engines!

My 1999 V-10 (Long Gone Now) blew two of the spark plugs clean out of the head due to the fact Ford does not tap threads all the way in to the head! My Ford dealer said they had at that time fixed 100 + 5.4 V8 and 6.8 V10 Engines for the exact same problem! They also told me that the problem occured more during plowing due to the excessive heat and lack of airflow etc...

Just something to think about!

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

If you want the diesel, then go for it. That is a great year for the 7.3 in the superduty body.

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I will never own another gas truck after having my Dodge! Pushes snow that amazes other plowers, pulls everything I have ever asked it to, and gets way better milage than a gas truck. Summer time I get the same mileage empty as I do hauling 3/4 ton!

Diesel is a much better alternative for a truck that spends a long time sitting too- gas varnishes fast un treated and leaves residues in the system. Diesel takes some time to grow and replaceing the fuel is all that's needed if it happens. Treating it perminantly prevents growing where gas will varnish eventually reguardless of the treatments.

Diesel's can be ignored for years then started with little fuss, so letting her alone for a couple of months at a time is nothing where a gasser may buck a bit.

Buy a newer diesel, as in 00 and up and they're as quiet as a gasser, my 96 with NO MUFFLER (Cat only) is only as loud as my old Chevy 350 with a glass pack! With the factory exhaust it was only loud next to the engine, in the cab was fine.

8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

It's all personal preference....I owned 2 Dodge 360's (1996 + 2001) and wanted a diesel. I bought my 04 F-250 and love it! The torque, power, and mileage are great. All I have to do in parking lots is hit the gas a little and let off, the truck just flies through the snow! You will not regret a diesel purchase.

9. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Is there a difference between the 96-97 7.3 diesel and say 00-03 7.3diesel? I am looking in to both. If I get a 96-97 I will buy a reg. cab 8' bed. If its a 00 or newer it will bed a ext. cab 6' bed. Knowing me I will probably use it more the my Yukon unless going out. But the plans are more for plowing and work. Time will tell. I have a few people telling me that you really don't get much better gas mileage the a gasser, is this true? If I went gas it would be a V8 not a V10. Thanks for the help I knew you guys were the ones to ask.:)

10. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

My 2001 Dodge Cummins gets about 17 plowing. My Chevy gas gets 7 so to me the milage difference was more then enough to convince me to go diesel!

11. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Unless your going to be towing lots or heavy or putting lots of miles on it a diesel dosnt sound like it makes sense to you.

But diesels are cool and if you want one go for it :)

12. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I don't own a diesel, but I want one for all of the reasons listed above, but...

1) Plow size seems to be limited with the diesel. The Boss web site wouldn't put a V blade on a Dodge with the diesel, but will put a 9' V on the Dodge with the Hemi.

2) When plowing you can only put as much power to the ground as you have traction. So the 610 lb ft. of torque doesn't do a whole lot more than 345 lb. ft. of torque in snowy conditions.

From strictly a plowing perspective it seems like the diesel is more power than can be used and less productive due to needing a smaller blade.

13. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

If you are really focusing on pushing snow with this truck. Then I would look at the Superduty bodies. 2k and up. The 94-97 F350 would be a good alternative too, as it had a solid front axle, but the 94-97 F250 with the TTB front end is not worth the hassle. Believe me, I own one. F250 2k and up is fine as it has a solid front end like the 350

14. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

In my experience the 7.3 is far more reliable than the newer 6.0. I'm still hearing that you should stay away from them. Typical Ford, when they have something that works good they change it. I have driven a couple v-10s and hated them. Absolutely gutless, dont even compare to a v-8. Its such a tiny motor the two extra cylinders dont help enough. Yes, I know, it will push snow and it will pull a trailer, but if I had a gun to my head (what it would take to make me buy a Ford) and had to buy a Ford, I would get the 5.4 over the v-10. very ballsy motor, lot of pep and enough torque to do the job. Just dont understand what these guys are talking about when they say the v-10s have power. The two I've driven were low mileage nice trucks, not old dogs, one had a banks exhaust and power pack on it, and I was just totally underwhelmed at the motors performance. I actually took the Banks one out and beat it around town for a while, didnt even want to spin the tires. I would be willing to bet that any older f250 or 350 with a 351 would spank a v-10. just my 18 cents. In case you were wondering, I dont like the v-10. I would even go with the 6.0 diesel with its poor reputation of the v-10, because at least it has some nads.

15. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

You don't necessarily need a smaller blade with a diesel, it's just that they're such heavy engines so the plow manufacturer tries to save their own ass by recommending only smaller, lighter blades for them. My 2500HD w/Duramax has only an 8' Fisher on it, but guys like Ratlover have had 9' blades on them with no problems. I still love diesels with a passion, so for me it's a no-brainer, but if you don't necessarily need it that much, I wouldn't waste the extra money.

16. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

if youre going to buy the 7.3 psd ..watch out for these things, oil pan, oil cooler.....i dint and had to replace both, $2800, that sucks, if they are really rusty talk to the dealership and ask them to take money off or replace it....cause u will!

17. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

1) This is the front axle rating, I have an 810 on my truck with the Cummins. No problems here :)

2) Exactly, so keep 1500#s of ballast in your truck and push piles a gasser would be burning rubber on stuck in its tracks. Torque will move snow period.
    Line up a gasser and a diesel apples to apples, Blizzard 810 plows and 10"s of wet concrete snow. The diesel will finish quicker without breaking a sweat. Its all about low end grunt, gas trucks (v-10's have some torque) make power with rpms, not what you want when pushing heavy snow. When you rev er up you end up with wheel hop, happened all the time with my hemi and an 8' western. Cummins and an 810 not once this season. And we had some bad ass wet concrete snow storms.
    Todd

18. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

diesel

Go diesel, for your low milage usage, it will last for many years. Isuzu,international and kubota diesels here, luv them all! :cool:

19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I think your new found pushing prowess comes not from type of engine you have but with the weight of the truck. #1500lbs of ballast (good tires) and a heavy plow do more for traction than the type of fuel you burn.
    Trust me your oil burner will not finish quicker, you may not use as much fuel but that is about it, if you know how to plow that is.

Burring rubber and being stuck in your tracks, speaks more to poor tires, lack of weight and poor driving skills than it does with engine choice.

I have never experenced wheel hop with my 3/4 tons you must have had a 1/2 ton?

20. westwind

westwind Member

I move snow just as fast in my 6.0l gas chev as i do in our 7.3l TD Ford.
    No difference in moving the snow. Big difference in pulling the JD skid-steer.
    Diesel for pulling, Gas for pushing. JMO