1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel Worth The Extra $5k???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TEX, Oct 14, 2005.

1. TEX

TEX Senior Member

IS THE DIESEL WORTH THE EXTRA $5,000+? I DID A SEARCH AND CAME UP WITH SOME OLD POST ABOUT GAS V DIESEL, AND THATS NOT WHAT IM GETTING AT. SO I THOUGHT I WOULD START WITH THE "BEEN THERE DONE THAT" CROWD-THE PROS. IF MONEY GREW ON TREES SURE GET THE DIESEL, BUT FOR A SMALL 1 OR 2 TRUCK PLOW COMPANY IS IT WORTH THE EXTRA $$? MPG SURE A LITTLE BETTER BUT IT WOULD TAKE A LONG TIME AT AN EXTRA 3-5MPG TO MAKE UP FOR THE $5,000+ COST, JUST WANTED TO HEAR SOME THOUGHTS FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY. THANKS GUYS AND LET IT SNOW!!!payup

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

If your smart and buy a Chevy, the mileage will be about 8 mpg more with a diesel. The diesel engine should last much longer, and diesels make a lot of torque to do work. Put it this way, a diesel is a machine designed to do work, a gas engine is an engine designed to move a car, and from there adapted to do work. The new diesels are quieter, faster more reliable, you name it. I say go diesel.

3. TEX

TEX Senior Member

Thanks Dan

For My Daily Driver Diesel All The Way I Had An 2001 Dodge 2500 Ext Cab 4x4 Diesel And Loved It. Mpg, Power, Long Lasting, And Again Power. But From A Business Stand Point Its Hard To Pull The Trigger On Another $5k+. Dont Get Me Wrong Id Love To Have One.just Tring To Be Smart About My Investment. Thanks Again

4. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

diesel

Diesel is the way to go, we have kubota,isuzu and international diesels, they all rock! The isuzu is great on fuel, the kubota is super quiet and the old 7.3 is indestructable, pay up front and save all the way down the road!

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I have to agree with Lawn King. My one and only truck right now is a '04 Dodge diesel. I love it. Awesome mileage, more than enough power and its still worth alot of money. If you can spend the extra without over extending yourself then I would get it. Make sure to use a good diesel additive atleast every few tankfuls and change your fuel filter often and it should be trouble free. Good luck!

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are looking at used and say the difference is a $10,000 truck or a $15,000 truck with diesel and you are paying cash then you might think about it but I would still buy the diesel.

Now if you are planning on financing your purchase and you drive atleast 15000 miles per year then I don't think the diesel will cost you any more.

The extra you pay for the diesel will be saved on your fuel consumption. You will get the money back from the diesel when you sell it but the money spent on fuel will be gone.

Look at the resale value in your local paper for a gas truck compared to a diesel. I bet the difference is the almost the same as when they were new.

Most of the people that argue this have never owned a diesel. Most diesel owners will tell you that this is the only way to go.

7. Exciteable

Exciteable Member

Let's look at it from a $$$ standpoint.
    Initial cost of a deisel-$5000 extra
    Current cost of Deisel fuel-$3.25 Gal (in my area)
    Current cost of gasoline-$2.74 Gal (in my area)

"extra" MPG obtained form a diesel-from 4-8 MPG

Now, tell me this is worth it, strictly from a $$$ factor.
    maybee it was three years ago, when diesel fuel was at a comparitive price with gasoline, but not now.

Also, let's not forget about the routine maintenance costs.
    Helluva bigger oil capacity=Several more quarts of oil at imes of oil changes (and at same intervals as gasoline engines)
    Fuel filter/s
    and then there are several issues not related to $$$, such as:
    Cold start issues...
    etc etc etc.

But, if you're looking for the extra torque, longivity, etc...a diesel is the way to go. Personally, i've always plowed with a gasser, and NEVER ONCE have i had to say, "Gee, if I only had more torque, I could..."

8. hesko1

hesko1 Member

diesel vs. gas

Yesterday I just started parting out my 84' chevy that has plowed snow for twenty years there is about 300,000 miles on this truck the body has been replaced twice. This is a 6.2 Diesel the only thing replaced on this motor was the injection pump at 150,000 miles. The motor runs great it is just hard to start. It is being retired because of a bent frame I cant stand any more. My dads name is still on the title as a cosigner, This was my first new truck when I was 20. I also run my 86' chevy 1 ton 6.2 Diesel 4x4 as my main truck.
    99' Dodge Quadcab 4x4 cummins diesel 2500 as a backup.

Everything Should Be Diesel !

P.S. I'll be posting picks of the old, but new, chevy that I am building right now. It is a Blazer frame, with one ton drive train, front and back blades,with a pickup cab. Oh and it is a diesel also!

9. diesel worth the extra coin???

Yes, end of story.... I would have a diesel motor on my push lawn mower if they made them... ha ha..:nod:

10. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Soon as they make a diesel powered string trimmers and leaf blowers I can die a happy man.

11. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

<---------------------------------Shoulda bought an oil burner but didn't.

Regardless of the arguments made here. Yes, it cost more, yes it's more to maintain. But the smile on your face when you plant your right foot will be all the justifcation you need. Plus, better mileage, longer, worry free lifespan. By that I mean at 100k you begin to worry about a gasser and just begin to break in a diesel. Gas/diesel prices are varied depending on where you live.

I have seen the other side and it is good. What will that 5k cost you over the next 5 years??? An extra 83.00 a month and a "little" more in maintenance costs to drive something that is bulletproof?

Work truck = Oil burner.

12. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Nothing BUT a diesel.:nod:

13. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Diesel is the way to go.

Fuel prices around me are about the same for diesel or gas, add in the extra(double in my case) mpg and Power/Torque at a lower rpm and you have the perfect plow rig.
    I've had two one tons, one gas 8mpg,one diesel 16mpg both Gm's.Not to hard to figure out.lol
    I've always found diesels easier to maintain.Fluids and filters mainly; no spark plugs, ignition wires to get wet none of that stuff like a gasoline engine.
    I've always kept good fuel and good batteries in my trucks and never have had a problem.

14. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I own mostly diesel (6.0 Fords) but my last truck was a 02 5.4L F-250, my current is a 05 F-350 w/6.0. I guess to make a long story short. The diesel is a great motor if you need it all the time, ie heavy loads, trailering often, high hi-way mieage, etc... To get a diesel just for plowing is a waste of your hard earned $. If you got the payup cash and want to get one just to say you have one, go for it. But as an owner of both don't get it un less you need it all the time, just givin ya my 2 cents worth. :jester:

15. TEX

TEX Senior Member

Good Points

A Lot Of Good Points Guys Thanks For The Input

16. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Dont forget resale value......

Forgot to mention resale value,Diesel trucks are more desirable and hold a higher resale value.
    I know in the past when I have been looking for a good used truck I'll find ten gas to one diesel to look at.
    If you are using it for business and not just to run to the store then there is the added bonus that you'll be writing it off, so if you can afford a diesel and dont mind the smell(Often a complaint from Yuppies around here)It is a smart move.

17. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

First off I have the gas Hemi, great engine, the power is there. The problem is the more I work it, the more it drinks. In winter when I carry the salter/salt/plow I get 6 MPG.

A Buddy just got the diesel but did not get the overdrive option(to save $1500), even without the overdrive he still gets 14 MPG pulling a 28' car hualer.

If you don't like the smell get yourself a Bio-Diesel kit and smell like french fries for around $0.76 p/gal.

18. F2507.3

F2507.3 Junior Member

Black Diesel

Here is some food for thought$$ I have a 88 F250 7.3 I love that truck, runs like a top 193,000 miles. About 2 years ago I started the gas / diesel comparison. Looked around on the web and without much trouble found "Black Diesel". You can reduce your fuel cost by 1/3 which puts you cheaper than gas, and you don't have this option with a gasser! The solution is simple, and based on guys that have done this, have had no problems, and swear it is helping extend their diesel life.

A diesel will burn anything! Peanut oil, cooking oil etc. My solution is a friend that has a garage. I pickup all the used transmission fluid, and changed oil. Mix this 1/3 to diesel at the pump, and have been doing so for about 2 years. Truck runs like a top; I put about 35,000 miles on a year. My diesel cost is $1.92 / Gal.
    based on our market price of about $2.89 Food for thought!

19. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I would have to imagine that your "Black Diesel" comes with a price.

What about diminshed power? How much more do you spend on fuel filters? What good will come to your injector pump & injectors? You may be able to get away with it for a while on the older less tempremental engines. I for one wouldn't even consider it in my 05 Ford 6.0 litre and can't imagine that anybody else driving any other brand would either.:salute:

You know that old addage you get what you pay for? How about there is no such thing as a free (or in this case cheap) Lunch??????

Good Luck!!!!!!!!:waving:

20. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

It all depends on what your going to use the truck for.

How many miles/year you drive is a BIG factor.

I will have approx. 11-12K miles on my truck come March 1st 2006.....It will be 2 years old! 5-6K/year is NOT enough to justify a Diesel.

Plus I mow lawns with the truck. Start up, drive .5 miles to first lawn, shut it off.....mow for 1/2-1hr, start up drive another .5 miles, repeat throughout the day. This kind of driving will KILL a diesel.

I haven't found myself looking for more power yet.

Sure I'd love to have a Duramax, but I just couldn't justify the $6K+ required for it and the Allison.

Now if your putting 20Kmiles/year and driving long distances, towing more than 10K lbs, then YES, abso-freakin-lutely you NEED a diesel.

But blanket stating that everyone should buy a diesel is simply not the best advice for everyone.