1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel won't run, help please!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JustJeff, Jan 6, 2014.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

'13 Ram 2500 diesel. I used the remote start this morning and it ran for awhile until the 15 minutes timed out and it turned off. Went to restart it later with the key and it will turn over, but the minute it starts it will shut off again. I'm guessing the fuel is gelled up. I've never put any additives in it (like I probably should have!), and it doesn't have a block heater. I'm supposed to go out tonight at midnight and do a clean-up, but won't be able to unless I can get my truck running. So, even if I ad an additive now, it won't run long enough to get up into the fuel injectors and clear those out as well, so what do I do? It's too heavy to push into my heated garage to warm it up, and I don't think a heat lamp or torpedo heater will generate enough heat to get it started. Any ideas guys? Please, I need help and don't want to miss out on this money that's to be made tonight!

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Just make sure it is not too close to melt the plastic. May take a bit but it will get the job done. It's this or call Buff to push it in the garage for you.

3. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Get it in the shop one way or another and then put the torpedo heater on it, couple hours and it will be good to go

4. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Gelled. Need new fuel filters and additive or wait until the weekend when it warms up. Could try 911 but I didn't have any luck with that freeing up my truck

5. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

If it were me, I probably tent the truck w/ a big tarp and blow the heat in from under and behind the truck.

6. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Get it in shop.... Need to push with a loader or another truck...

First time we have had temps this low.. I put sea-fome in all our diesel equipment

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Your gelled, heat, new filters, and fuel additives.

8. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Try diesel 911 but I think heat is your best bet.

9. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

10. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

Did you get it fired up?

11. JustJeff

Nope, got no way to get it into my shop until the morning. A good night of lost revenue. I'll tell you one thing, I'll never get caught with my pants down like this again.

12. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Pull you pants up bud. It to damn cold out their to have your pants down.

All kidding aside. I hope you get your truck fixed soon. Good luck!

13. JustJeff

Thanks....

14. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Next time use kerosene in your tank and/or add power service white bottle.

15. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Whenever it get cold I always throw in power service. It's good security.

16. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I don't have a block heater on my 03, but I've been topping the tank off between 1/2 and 3/4. I've added 2 bottles of Power Service to 1 1/2 tanks so far (each rated to handle 40 gal, the small white bottle). Fortunately this event came as mostly rain when started, but ended up plowing about 9 hours yesterday until about 11:00 AM. Since then, I've either taken the truck out for runs just to keep things moving on the truck and to charge the system w/ no heavy draws from equipment, also I've run it at Idle for about 30-40 mins. every 5-7 hours and right before going to bed.

This morning is -9*F, had to hit the glow plugs 3 times but it's idling fine right now...so far so good. Tomorrow is going to 20* and uphill thereafter...hopefully dodged this bullet.

17. jbsplow

jbsplow Senior Member
    from -

My next door nebhoir had the same problem this am. Let his truck run for 15 min and headed to work. Made it about 5 mins down the road... Then the phone rang at 4 am.. "Hey my truck wont run in this cold it gelled up" so i had to tow him back and his 2012 ford f250 sits in the driveway as we speak

18. JAYINH

JAYINH Member

I just went thru a similar experience 1/2/14 , started to tackle the 10 plus inches of snow at 3AM and truck dies after 1 hr...I plug it in and run white bottle power service at every fillup ( maybe not enough added?) any way the filter was gelled up pretty good! I even added 2 bottles of 911 and it would not free the filter up. new filters and good to go.

19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

hey Jeff check out your Chicago weather thread with discussing this for a few days now

20. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

here's what I did yesterday with a bullet heater blowing heat under the tarp. Took a few hours but it fired up. Get some diesel 911 in there too. Might have to pull the fuel filter and put a tad in there as well.

photo1.jpg