1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

diesel with dual exhaust

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowbuster1, Feb 19, 2014.

1. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

Looking at new exhaust on my dually powerstroke and thinking of dual 4" but would like to see some pics. Thanks guys
  2. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

Hmmmm not too sure on a dually but you might have to remove the Spare tire but in my dads 05 he has a 4 inch from the turbo back to a five inch tip from banks. Sounds great nice clean stock look with just larger piping. Not a huge 10 inch tip haha. I'll grab a pic tomorrow morning
  3. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

Not going with no 10" tip. Would run a 5" tip. I have 4" with a 5" tip on my 05 as well and love the way it comes out behind the wheel. Just nervous I won't like how the angle will look.
  4. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

I was referring to the kids around where I live who buy a 99 diesel what ever and put the biggest tip the can on it and it looks hilarious. The damn thing is almost dragging in the ground lol
  5. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

I know they do the same here or they put in stacks that look like they are off of a cruise ship. I shack my head and laugh every time I see them
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A 4" single will flow whatever you can toss at it just fine.
    Do you really want to listen to it?
    Do your customers really want to listen to it?
  7. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

If it aint big tips, its skyscrapin stacks.... or tow mirrors hanging out as far as they will go (knowin damn well the idiot behind the wheel has never pulled a trailer), crane hooks hanging from the hitch receiver..... All driven by a kid out spendin mommy and daddy's money trying to impress some other boys lol. The things kids do to their trucks now is just dumb lol.
  8. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

You'll probably have better luck on a dedicated powerstroke forum. Im sure guys here may have your set up but you'll get a better response there. I've only seen a couple around here, most just hve a 4-5 inch straight pipe or stacks.
  9. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

You can always try powerstrokenation.com I get a lot of info from there.
  10. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

My dad's 05 isn't really that loud till you really get on it. Anything past like 3500 rpm gets pretty loud. But of course you wanna hear it it sounds bad ass! But in the cab noise really isn't too bad. And customers probably don't want to listen to a plow slam down at 3:30am either lol but it's really not that loud
  11. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Whether you go single or dual, throw a glass pack on it.
  12. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

The only way to go !!!!!:mechanic:
  13. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What diesel are you running past 3500 rpms? :dizzy:
  14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Duramax, 6.4 Powerstroke, 5.9 & 6.7 Cummins.

Mine will turn 5k, 3500rpm isn't to hard to hit.

Here's almost 6k from a Duramax on a friend's AWD dyno.
  15. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

A modded diesel turning some RPMS with a load being put on it is an awesome sound. If you haven't, try and make it to a fair where they're pulling 3.0 open driveline trucks (ProStreet) and ProFarm tractors.
  17. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Ok, what normal diesel are you gonna crank up over 3500 rpms? And how long do think that modded 6.6 is gonna keep everything inside with constant revs over 5k? Hell my 7.3 makes more than enough noise at 2000 rpms. Now the 6.6 is a lot quieter which is why it is my road trip rig but I still would never rev it that hard.
  18. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Tools or Toys? When you are really in business supporting ones self and others, you'll realize that one can't be both.

I think a lot of people go through that faze, the quicker you get out of it, the farther a head you'll be.

Many years ago, my daily driver ran 10.50's and carried the front tires about 100' - I heard it from many older people but just shrugged it off - I should have listened sooner.
  19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Think stock 6.0 is 4300 rpm.

My 6.7 is deleted with factory tail. Is quiet in the cab. Can hear the turbo more then anything.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Most any or the common rail diesels will spin 3500 without to much concern, the older Cummins trucks will do it as well with some mods.

The trucks that turn 4500-6k regularly are built for it, they very rarely are anything but sunday drivers/play trucks. They have the fueling and valve train work done to hold up to the higher rpms for prolonged period.

I wasn't trying to say that a 1000hp duramax that runs 10's in the quarter and can be setup to sled pull as well is going to be hooked to a trailer M-F all year around putting food on the table for you and your family. Sure, they'll drive it on the street, to/from events, it still might get used to haul/tow now and then but it's not their primary vehicle. Most of those guys all have other mildly modded diesel trucks for work and the ones that are highly modified are primarily play toys that still can do a little bit of work as well.