1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel vs Gas

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Jan 3, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

What do you guy think about diesel motors in plow trucks. I have always used a gas motor in all my truck up to the 99 fords. The old trans and ford diesels were junk they just couldn't take plowing snow. So far i have had no problem with my 6 diesel fords all 99 or 00. The i have never had a problem with any of my gas trucks with auto trans, all 95-97 fords. Only with my f650 all the engines offered are diesel so i don't expect any problems. And i believe the trans is computer controlled, because it is push button controll. Anywway what do you guy think?<p>Geoff

2. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

We've always used gas, so we could plow in low range. The new Ford is an exception, because it's so tough. Try doing commercial plowing with a '96 Dodge Diesel and we can't keep transmissions in them. (Based on the looks of the dealership, no one else can either.)

3. bill

bill Junior Member

I plow with a 7.3 diesel.<br>I think it is great.<br>It has power to really rip through<br>the snow. fill up both tanks and plow<br>away.<p>

4. lawnman

lawnman Junior Member

It has been my experience that diesels with autotransmissions do not hold up. In Fords, Dodges, and GM Trucks for snowplowing usage. But diesels with standard transmissions seem to hold up great. Take it for what it is worth, it has been my experience and I have plowed for 18 years...

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

there is a company called JET Transmissions that makes a replacement tranny for the cummings powered dodge trucks that will stand up to the torque of that engine. It is a 4L480E from GM that is adapted for the didge driveline.<br>Well I did the math and at a .20$ difference in price for fuel(with is common in my state)with the diesel being less and a 25% gain in mileage it will take 150000 to break even.<br>Assuming that diesel option is around 4k.<br>We use 4 hi unless it is really hairy, then we use the 4 low, but then go right back to 4 hi. To many revs in low range.<br>I do like the fill up once and plow all day and night.<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

6. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

We use mostly diesels - 4 out of 5 fords in our current fleet. <p>Here are some key points for why I choose diesel over gas:<p>1. Power over the long haul - hands down more power from diesels. After plowing for several seasons, the trucks don't seem as 'tired' as the gas jobs. We also need the day to day power for pulling stuff like chippers off road in 4wd.<p>2. Reliability - with newer trucks - '97-00 - the reliability factor is high with either type. We put a lot of miles in CT on all of our trucks. We use our dump bodies every day March-December. The trucks are rarely empty. I have had trouble with gas trucks in the past (of all sizes) and have accomplished more work with fewer problems since switching to diesel. We can carry more, pull more and sleep more (I don't worry at night anymore). When my gas jobs had problems, they were also towed by diesel wreckers. That sent a sort of signal to me.<p>3. Fuel Tank - We keep diesel in a stock tank at our yard. No extra breaks for the staff after they leave in the morning - they can have coffee and food here at the shop while fueling...you get the idea. Soon we will hook up our other tank for off road fuel - backhoe, skidsteer, chipper, mowers etc. and save even more money.<p>4. Economy - The diesels cost more up front, but I have found that after depreciation - the resale value is still strong. At least here, I could sell a used F-350 diesel 4x4 in a minute. The diesels plow and plow and plow....without burning a ton of fuel. Even while landscaping, the diesels get better fuel economy. My father in law was getting about 5-6 mpg towing with either a 460 Gas Ford or a 454 in a Chevy 3500hd. When we check - we seem to be in the teens.<p>I don't dislike gas, and its tough to argue against it purely on fuel cost, because no matter what, when you are running the truck you are getting paid for your fuel as part of the cost of doing business. It has become a personal preference now.<p>PHIL<p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider

7. ashlandscaping

ashlandscaping Junior Member

I have read some one say about the idea og fueling up once and going all night. I am sorry disel is no better I have seen on fuel then a gas when it comes to plowing. If you put a disel on the road I will agree that it gets better mileage but as far as around town and for plowing I have seen very very little diff. I have plowed and towed with all 3 dodge old and new style chevy old 6.5 piece of trash and the new turbo disel not to bad quite. and the ford both old no power and the power stroke. All in all I will plow with a gas motor any day of the week over a disel. A gas motor you can r up disel only has so much and then thas it. But that my own thoughts.

8. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Junior Member

According to Ford, the diesel offered in trucks from 150 to 350, they don't recommend a plow for any of the diesels. This is based on the front end weight being too high on these trucks. Although, this is based on the long wheel base Supercab. Ford futher states that the gas powered 250 model long wheel base isn't recommended for a plow either. This is due also to high front end wieghts. I ordered the F350 V10 Supercab LWB 4x4 with the HD capacity frt axle which will hold up to a 9' plow without voiding the warranty. Now if I could just get that truck before June...<br>Dodge has a tranmission servicability problem right now with their trucks. I'd give 'em another year to come up with a stronger transmission to handle pushing snow.

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Actually I believe that no manufacturer will waranty any extended cab truck with a plow, diesel or gas. All will ok a plow and diesel on reg cab pick ups. And all will ok a cab chassis with a disel. Now as far as fuel consumption with a diesel, let me tel you my experience.<br>Here are the two trucks<br>98 K-3500 cab chassis with 8.5 western v plow and sander 6.5 turbo diesel auto tranny<br>84 k-20 pick up with 8' meyer plow and sander 350 gas auto tranny<br>On Thurs I had 3/4 tank of diesel in the 98 and a full tank in the 84<br>I plowed all day from 7am to 12 mid night <br>The 84 plowed the same time periods and filled up 2x<br>Now you tell me if the diesel get better fuel mileage/consumption<br>60 gallons of 89 octane on or 25 gallons of diesel with a truck that weighs twice as much as the gas truck.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

10. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Here is the ford version from last year.<p>99 f 350 5.4 v-8 4X4 8 foot plow 24 hour period 2 30 gal tanks.<p>99 f 550 7.3 v-8 4X4 9 foot plow 4.5 yard sander with 5 yards at the start of the storm. Not even one tank.<p>You tell me what you would want. <p>Geoff

11. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey plowking,you are right about xcabs and diesels being a no-no,until this year.In 2000 and 2001 models,you can get a factory snow plow prep pkg on Dodge Ram 2500&3500 Quad cab 4x4,in long or short box(2500 only) with the 5.9 Cummins 24V turbo diesel and either auto or 5or 6 speed manuals.I mght buy one so thats how I know(I saw one at the fisher dealer with a 8ft MM last week before we had any snow I bet its gone now. <p>----------<br>John D<br>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.