1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel vs. Gas

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MJLsLawnCareNmo, Nov 30, 2007.

?

Diesel vs. Gas powered truck for plowing?

1. Diesel

75.9%
  2. Gas

23.3%
  3. Other (Propane, CNG, etc)

0.8%
  1. MJLsLawnCareNmo

MJLsLawnCareNmo Senior Member

Regardless of truck manufacturer, which do you guys prefer for plowing either gas or diesel powered trucks? Why?

2. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

No brainerwesportwesport

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Diesel -

Because it's what I own.

4. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

Diesels can push those monster piles of snow so much better with that low end torque:nod:

5. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

You have soo much more torque to push any pile that get in your way with a diesel!!!

6. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Torque pushing snow and pulling trailers

30% more bang for the buck

7. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

For the average person/buisness ower I would say gas. For the fleet people with 2500 series trucks what do they mostly run?? You guessed it gas. Over and over it is a prooven fact in the long run not given the right conditions the gasser truck will save you cash. Not this year of next but in the law of averages.

Yes the diesel trucks are the work horses in the industry, flat out they will out preform outlast and get much better fuel mileage. Unless the truck is hooked up to a trailer 75% of the time, hauling at least 4500lb 60% of the time or 50 000km/30 000miles a year save your cash buy the gasser. Yes boys will have thier toys and the diesels are the cool, but the law of averages will catch up to you.

Learned this info from a old timer who has been around the block to say the least. I thought he was crazzy and didn't understand the benifits of the diesels. But in the long run he hit the nail right on the head. For the extra costs of puchasing, oil, repairs and running the cord to it during the cold months eat away at the savings. Yes the newer trucks have extended plans on injector pumps and engines but this is where the savings of the diesels really kick in. Just as you have to spend a small fortune on the new injectors or pump.

Love the diesel trucks. But the bottom line is profit!!!!

DAFF

8. GMSNOW

GMSNOW Member

I agree diesel will give you better gas mileage and more low end torque. But for example a Dodge 3/4 ton diesel will cost approx. $7000 more and the cost of diesel fuel currently .25-.30 more per gallon. So the increased gas mileage is greatly offset by the higher cost of fuel and the truck itself is much more expensive.

You have to consider do you really need the diesel? How much do you tow? How big are the lots you are plowing. At the end of last season we had to snow falls in the 10-12 inch range and my '04 3/4 ton Dodge Hemi - gas did just fine.

My 2 cents.
    GMSNOW

9. heather lawn spray

Yes the diesel trucks are the work horses in the industry, flat out they will out preform outlast and get much better fuel mileage. Unless the truck is hooked up to a trailer 75% of the time, hauling at least 4500lb 60% of the time or 50 000km/30 000miles a year save your cash buy the gasser. Yes boys will have thier toys and the diesels are the cool, but the law of averages will catch up to you.

Love the diesel trucks. But the bottom line is profit!!!!

DAFF[/QUOTE]

Valid points Daff

You been lookin' in our yard again:jester:

Our 05 goes out with 4750 lbs trailer load of mowers & trailer in the summer each day 5 to 6 days a week.

Currently a $10,000 CDN option, but we keep the truck for life. . . so $1000 per year extra cost. That's up against 30% fuel savings. Doing the arithmatic, if we spend $3333 in diesel a year per truck (heck we do that in the winter alone) then it's a good idea for us, cause we would have spent $4333 in gas. On top of that we get the torque :D

for driveways and part-time yes stay with gas

10. Wiseguyinc

Wiseguyinc Member
    from MN

I realize gas is cheaper today.But gas changes price every other day in my area.Diesel has been the same for 3 months.Gas was 70cents a gal higher this summer and now diesel is 50 cents a gallon higher. It all evens out these days.It is friggen expensive to drive either one! :mad:I like diesels for plowing. I like diesels for a work truck.For a daily driver putt around town truck,gas is better.

11. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Yep with those numbers you are doing good. But ...... when you have a no start bring your check book. There goes the fuel savings. It seems as you drive you save money in fuel savings and in time you will need to spend money in repairs. The extra cost of repairs will eat all the fuel savings. Its just a visious circle. Although sometimes you get lucky and get a good one, (diesel)saving a fortune. Only time will tell.

There is one thing to consider. As the cost per litre of fuel increases the savings per mile will increase, this will greatly effect the bottom line. As diesel nears 2.00 per litre the diesel will win hands down. Still have to do the math. But in Europe thats all they use.( ie smart car) Once again time will tell

DAFF

12. heather lawn spray

We have been remarkably lucky (talanted) with diesel repairs. To heck with the check book bring your 3rd born child ( she hangs over the engine compartment and hands wrenches to me). Drive trains are first on our list engines are near the bottom. and for Pete's sake stop talking about $2.00 diesel you'll give them ideas

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  13. Fordtruckman88

Fordtruckman88 Member

i would say the diesel especially when you are plowing two wal marts old navy and warehouses

14. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i'm not even sure if diesels last longer anymore. theoretically they should. i see gas motors getting more and more miles on them now so i am beginning to wonder. seen some diesels needing rebuilding before two hundred k.
    not to mention a gas motor is much cheaper to rebuild or replace. By the time a truck hits two hundred k you probably wont want it anymore anyway. Other upkeep expenses and questions on reliability or body issues. :dizzy:

i like diesels. i am not so sure they are better cost wise.
    gas seems easier to maintain and has less headaches also.
    just my opinion.

15. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

gas for me too. my guys take my trucks home ahead of a storm. if i trusted them to plug a diesel in it would never happen. so atleast i know theyll start on a cold a$# night.now my equipment i love diesel but pickups gas for me

16. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Plug them in??? I haven't plugged in a diesel since '99. Even when it's -25 here in MN, we leave them unplugged, never had a problem with the Cummins.

I've had a 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005 and now (2) 2006 Dodge diesels.

17. heather lawn spray

Our last diesel lasted 12 years and about 2400 plowing hours plus regular summer work. We might have done 120 miles in 16 hour session so mileage doesn't count with us

18. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Diesel all the way. They may or may not save you any money, but have you driven the same truck back to back with gas and a diesel? An extra 200+lb ft of torque at low rpms is worth the extrapayup unless you really don't use your truck for anything other than light plowing and as a commuter. I would not buy another gas truck except for a backup or for my wife to drive the kids around in, were the extra cost really isn't justified.

19. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have found the resale better on diesel.

bribus "By the time a truck hits two hundred k you probably wont want it anymore anyway."

I'll buy cummins 5.9's any day with 200k... I have 3 and all have 300+ kms on them... the one truck in the pic 2001 has plowed since new, so bak and forth back and forth that truck probably really has like 450 000kms on it. Truck is probably still worth 10 grand without the plow.
    I haven't even done a tranny on it yet and its a dodge.

I would rather buy a 2 year old diesel any brand off mr retired guy rather then a new gasser. gas here is $1.05 and diesel is $.97 / litre
    Around here all I see on used car lots is black hemi dodges with the 20 inch rims... you cant be getting a good trade in value when there are like 5 on every lot.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  20. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

Mines at 174k and you would never guess by driving it.

The only downside I can think of is that diesels like to eat up transmissions with all that torque, but thats not so much an issue with the newer trucks I'm told