1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel vs Gas

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by viking88, Jul 30, 2012.

1. viking88

viking88 Junior Member
    from 07726

I know this topic has been beaten to death. But I do need some sound advice here.

I have been out of the plowing business for 7-8 years and have taken a corporate job. Fortunately, I am in a position now that will allow me to plow when snow is on the ground. That said, I am trying to figure out two things: Gas/Diesel and F150/F250.

In my past life all we had were F-250 gas trucks with one F-450 diesel dump truck so that is all I am used to.

This truck will be my every day vehicle. The truck will not be used for towing or hauling large payloads, although it may happen from time to time. What I need to know from the experts here is would you suggest a diesel or gas for everyday driving and do I need to get an F-250 if I am just going to use it for plowing (mainly parking lots) or will an F-150 do it? Also does an F-150 come with an available plow package?

Also, what is the cost difference in routine maintenance between diesel and gas engines?

2. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

It depends how long your going to keep the truck, because if you are going to keep it for a long time get a diesel they last longer and are stronger. For the f250 vs f150, it depends on how much snow you get, I would get a f250 just because its more heavy duty truck. Routine maintenance for a diesel, oil changes are usually every 5,000-7,000 depending on how much towing or plowing you do. Oil changes can be around $70.
  3. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

No plow prep on 1/2 tons. I would suggest a diesel prior to all this EPA emission crap. I believe 3/4 tons hold up better and diesels do last longer. Chuck Norris drives a diesel.......he peed into a semi once, now that semi is known as Optimus Prime.

Plow prep isn't really that big of a deal. I think its just a couple lame bells n whistles.....oh boy a light switch for a light bar....oh boy a + 15 amp alternator....:laughing:
  4. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

If you going to use it everyday and drive it a lot, I would probably go diesel. Once the truck hits 100k you will see a bigger return on the money if you ever sell it.
  5. Chipper

Chipper Member

Having plowed with both IMO diesel is the only way to go. Just can't beat the low end torque for plowing. Most of "my" plowing is done at 1000-1200 RPM max. Which saves on fuel, wear and tear, heat build up in the trans and brakes. Plus you will get your money back for the extra cost of the diesel at resale time. Just try to sell a gas engine plow truck with 100K plus on it.
    Maintenance costs are a wash to me, being I do all my own work. Both use air,oil and fuel filters. The little extra cost for the extra oil is easily made up in the increased fuel mpg and not doing tune-up's.
  6. viking88

viking88 Junior Member
    from 07726

I appreciate eveyone's feedback. It seems that diesel wins this argument.

My biggest hesitation was the mainenance and associated costs as I have never worked on a diesel engine myself. I do most of the maintenance on gas engines myself.

Just a quick follow up question. Is there a difference in doing an oil change on a diesel engine different than gas, with the exception of more oil?
  7. Chipper

Chipper Member

Same as gas only make sure you use a diesel "rated" oil. Rotella is my favorite.
  8. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

If you really need a truck you need a diesel , if you can get by with a 1/2 ton you dont.
  9. Holland

Holland Senior Member

And what year diesel your after is a big deal too. Early 6.0's have ALOT of issues. We've got v10's, 7.3's and 6.0's in our fleet. Our early 6.0l are definately the biggest troublemakers . Cant complain much bout our 08's and 09's with the 6.0's, they've been much more reliable.
  10. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

2007 was the last year for the 6.0.

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Oh cant ya see it a F 150 with a 8.6 VXT and Wings and 2.5 yd Saltdogg and timberens 4.6L:laughing:

In all seriousness a deisel is awsome but I run a gaser ad with a little balast in the back of my F 250 I do just fine .

Dont have to worry about pluging in the cold or fuel gellin up ,Granted they have antigel additive just another cost

Oil change 180.00 Bucks 20Qts - if ya get a deisel rotella oil and Cat gold coolent $$$$

Torque and Horse power ..Deisel hands down....winner

2 am runnig low on fuel unlees you got a slip tank hope your close enough to find fuel
    gas anywhere for the most part

price per gallon pretty close unless you live in GOD FORSAKEN ILLINOIS home of the stick it to ya MAN :mad: :dizzy:
  12. Holland

Holland Senior Member

In trucks yes, not for the E-Series tho Thumbs Up
  13. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

There is also the added benefit of the diesel 250 getting much better mileage than the 150 with the v8. I have a 6.0l so I cant speak for the newer 6.4 and 6.7 but the engine is a pushrod v8 with different upper half. Maintenance costs are easily double. like another mentioned mine takes 20qts that plus filters is 200. Like the others have said, maintain it, keep it clean, run it hard and when they day comes that your done, you will get more for it.
  14. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

Isn't that the second time you have had to defend that statement? if it wasn't you then someone else had to back up that statement recently.
  15. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I love my diesel but I use mine year round! if you are just going to be plowing drives and small parking lots with it, and a daily driver then I would go with a f-250 gasser. Maintenance on a diesel is very expensive.
  16. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

Thats a good point. I use my gasser during the summer for light duty, heavy towing and hauling goes to the diesel. if you can make money with it year round go diesel.
  17. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

What kind of plows do you have hooked up to those vans?
  18. 4wydnr

4wydnr Senior Member
    from N. IL

What oil are you running?
  19. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

If you are not planning on driving the vehicle on a regular basis stick with a gas motor. Diesels do not like to sit and lead to more maintenance, trouble and decreased engine life just because they are sitting. Plus you can put a bigger plow on a 250 with the gas motor, The added weight of the diesel limits you to a 8' straight blade if i remember correctly.
  20. 01PStroke

01PStroke Senior Member

I thought the amount of oil needed went down after the 7.3s? I'm at 16qts every 10000 miles no problem (7.3).

I would also argue fuel costs (may be higher/lower) are more stable (see budgeting) than gas counterparts. I saw gas rise over 40 cents in two days this week! Diesel came up a tad, but nothing like that.