1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel vs. Gas for snowplowing--curious

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sweetpete, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Hey Guys:

I'm new to the forum and have had a question since I started plowing last season. As the title indicates, which is better in YOUR opinion?

Gas or Diesel? I was just curious, because I've gotten the impression that Diesel is too heavy for the front end and/or too tempermental in the winter as far as starting goes.

So, I have a gas engine, but I've also heard great things about the diesels and I've noticed alot of the pro's here use diesels for their trucks.

So, let me know what you think and why you went with a diesel or gas.
    Thanks!!

2. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

I use and have used Dodge's with a Cummins diesel for a number of years. If they put a Cummins in another truck I would probably follow it. Less bs, less stuff to go wrong. Also remember Cummins is a straight six, has about 40% less moveing parts than a v-8. Don't let the 6 cyl be a turn off, my 05 from the factory is rated at 325HP and 610ft.lbs. tourqe, that's before any aftermarket mods. The warranty is 100.000 miles on the Cummins. Fuel was cheaper, it seems to be dropping down again or gas is getting even more expensive. Better fuel economy than a gasser.
    Front end sag has never been a issue for me, Dodge offers a hd snow plow prep group. Also if you drive like a fool with 900 pound hanging off the front end raceing from account to account, you'll cause a sag in any trucks front end gas or diesel.

Yes the diesel will cost more in the short run but if you keep it you will save money. Here's another but. Very few, myself included keep a truck all that long, guess it's a guy thing.
    So the bottom line answer I guess is reliablity. Never had any down time because of a Cummins failure.

Roy

3. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

heres my answer both Diesl powerd. mine is the one in the air.

johndawesome 208.jpg

Diesil powerd Blizzard 810.jpg

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

This has been disscused MANY times in lenght. There are many guys that are pro or anti gas. For straight snow plowing diesel dosnt make sense from a money stand point. Diesels do get better milage when worked but not enough to justify thier cost for just for just plowing. New diesels arnt tempramental in the cold. They are fine. I love my V8 Diesel :nod: but I bought it becasue I wanted a diesel not becasue I really needed it......but who needs an 11 second plow truck anywho? :D

5. ratlover

from IL

If buying a truck for just plowing I would preobably go a reg cab 2500HD with a 6L gas

6. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

[but who needs an 11 second plow truck anywho? :D[/QUOTE]

I'd like one!!

Roy

7. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

great replies, guys. I apologize if the subject has already been beaten to death.
    I probably should have done a search, but I was too hasty to get my question answered.

I have the 5.4 and LOVE it. But it does make sense that a diesel used JUST FOR PLOWING would be a little overkill. Thanks for the info and keep the post coming, if you have something to add.
    Pete

8. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

Overkill? I don't know too many people who use a pick up just for plowing. If that were the case nobody would be *****'n about putting plows on and takeing them off. Also remember the resale value is increased.

Roy

9. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Well Roy, put your walkin' shoes on to follow the Cummins and get ready to put yourself in a Ford. I can't wait! :nod:

10. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

Nah, more unfounded rumors.
    But seeing as you mentioned Ford. I remember for a while (it may still be true) that in Fords bigger truck the F600 or whatever, you could get the Cummins that was used in the Dodge pick up's.
    Always struck me as a little strange that Ford didn't use the Powerstroke in it's own trucks but went to Cummins for a engine. Speaks volumes to me.

But you are correct, if by some chance Dodge uses the Mercedes diesel and Ford has the Cummins I'll have some serious thinking to do. Fortunatly this Cummins should go well over 400K, so I have time.

Roy

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Where you guys been the past 20 years? Ford has ALWAYS offered the Cummins as an extra cost option! Ford Owned 48% of Cummins for many years- Cummins bought themselves out from Ford about 1991. Talk to a REAL Ford truck dealer (I mean a truck only dealer)- you can get a Cummins any time you want it. Chevy couldn't handle the weight in their lighter front end.

Why, tho, would you want a Ford??

My Ram is my first diesel and I'll never go back to gas. No tune-ups, no major repairs that I wouldn't have had to do to a gasser anyway (tranny coolent lines), better milage, no worries. 16Mpg carrying a 1/2 ton of ballast or empty thank you- and that's with low (4.10) gears and the posi. (high gears get better than 20- find a 3/4 ton gasser that can do that!) I have 127K miles on mine and don't plan on parting with her.
    Tempermental starting is a rumor- the Cummins will start unaided to below 20*, and plugged in to a bit below 0*. Plugged in (block heater) it'll start to like 20 below. No problems starting them in the cold whatsoever.

12. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

The new ones don't come with a block heater plug. Now it's a $10 option. Cummins say's the block heater isn't needed unless your in extreme cold. I left mine unplugged at 0 just to find out. It started right up although it was a bit noiser.

Roy

13. ratlover

from IL

Your saying you can get a cummins in a ford 250 and 350?

14. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

It would seem justme say's they were a option. First I heard of it.

Roy

15. ratlover

from IL

Me too, I knew on the bigger than 550's but I didnt think you could get anything other than a PS now or were able to? Could be wrong. I just know that when I was looking at trucks I never saw an option for a cummins. I think you can also get a cat in the fords and also in the chevys you can get a big duramax(isuzu) or a cat. no flames just curious

16. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

That is my understanding as well regarding the Fords, don't have any idea as far as GM.

Roy

17. ratlover

from IL

up to the 5500's you can get a 8.1 or the 6.6 duramax. after the 5500 you can get a bigger duramax(I'm pretty sure the 8.1 in some) or a cat. I'm sure on the 5500's but a bit fuzzy on the stuff bigger than that.

18. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I wanted a diesel but after careful consideration I went gas. The diesel would have been significantly higher and didn't offer much incentive. The noise would have been rough and truthfully I don't really NEED a diesel. The big upside would have been getting free fuel at some work sites!

19. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

FORD:
    I have been driving FORD diesels since light duty trucks got them.
    The diesel's will go a huge amount of miles before they pop. I have driven PSD's with 390k on them, It had a cloud of smoke behind it but it still ran down the road. A friend has a 6.8 with 350K on it,still runs great!
    The MPG has doubled from the 460 gasser's but the transmissions don't last as long as the old C-6 did. If your going to keep it a long time and work it till it's towed away, a diesels the way to go.

20. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

gas VS diesel

I have both gas and diesel. The diesel costs 5400 for the engine, 11 quarts of oil in diesel 6 in gas, diesel fuel 2.54 per gal, gas 2.19. The oil filter cost more in diesel and you have the hard to get at fuel filter that need changed at least one time a yr. Repairs are way more expensive. Injector pump on the old 94 was 3300. Transfer pump was 700. Turbo was 1000. A vacuum pump on old 94 was 2000.

If you want one purchase it. They all have there good and bad points. The new Dodge is much better than the old ones. I sold the 94 and have a 2005 what a difference. Less wiring, more room in engine compartment. Heavy front differential. Huge axle Ujoints. No vacuum all electric transfer case shift. New Cummins is quiet compared to old. There is enough power to break most plows.

Dave