1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel vs. Gas for plowing?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by thepawnshop, Nov 3, 2004.

1. thepawnshop

thepawnshop Junior Member

After posting I found the thread I needed.....sorry!

2. I run a 2001 c3500. I pull bobcat s185, and much more. it's a dump bed that I've had over three ton of rock in the bed (no more suspension, but motor had plenty of power :eek: ) Its the gas 6.0, I did not wan't to spend the extra 6800 on the diesel. I have just recently installed a supercharger, to help me with gas mileage, which it definately has. And the power boost is awesome 410hp. I'll line up against a diesel anyday :drinkup:

p.s. It sounds cool too :D

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Too bad you have to have the supercharger to try and run with a diesel. :nod: :D

4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Don't most "newer" diesel's have a turbo charger???

5. The Boss

Stock. No supercharger

6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I wonder how much power a diesel woud have with out those turbos???

7. The Boss

Plenty :nod:

8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

No doubt, Bet it is all low end.... no real HP with out turbo...

9. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

mine didnt have any forced induction at all and I pulled a dodge ram with a v-10 that had a blower on it backwards not once, not twice, but 3 times he had 4x4 and I had a 2wd dually, lol

heres my truck idling shortly before I pulled hm across the lot:
    [​IMG]

dont need any turbo or blower to get "r" done! pumpkin:

10. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

All that low end torque gets you nothing in the snow but spinning tires.....

11. Big Nate's Plowing

LOL almost 450 hp@ 2800 and 700+ ft lbs @ 1400

:rolleyes:

12. The Boss

Any more questions? :rolleyes:

13. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

exactly... show me a tire that will keep traction in the snow with all that torque going to them... Ya gotta have a lot of weight to keep it.....

14. Big Nate's Plowing

the same could also be said for people that plow with the transfer case in low range

15. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I am not debating the power of diesel... If I had a lot a wieght to pull I would say diesel hands down...., but pushing snow requires a balance of power and traction.....

16. Big Nate's Plowing

do you drive with the throttle mashed to the floorboard all the time, atleast I dont.... the same motor making 500ft lbs @ full throttle will make less if there is less fuel/throttle and <100ft lbs at idle or less \

more fuel/air= power
    less fuel/air= less power!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  17. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

No I do not drive with my foot to the floor board, but if you what a diesel that has 700 ft/lbs of torque at 1400 rpms, Idle is usually around 500 so do the math, it still has a lot of torque that the tires will have to deal with in the snow...

It is a matter of opinion... you are going to think diesels are better, I say it depends on what equipment you have, and in some cases I bet a gas would be a better choice..

18. The Boss

It's funny that I've plowed with my diesel for 4 years and never had a problem spinning in the snow. :rolleyes:
    I've pushed piles twice as big as a gasser does.
    Nothing against gassers.

19. Big Nate's Plowing

just because a motor "can" make 700 ft lbs @ 1400 rpm dosent mean that it will it depends on the amount of throttle you are giving it :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  20. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

There are two many variables to just say "I push piles twice as big as a gasser" mean any thing. To be accurate, you would have to have the same trucks, same weight(front and rear axle weight), same tires, even the same driver....