1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel transplant

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by HEStufrthnnails, Dec 27, 2011.

1. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

OK. I have a 95" Dodge 2500 with a 5.9 gas engine and I'm wanting to transplant a Cummins 5.9 in it. And I've found an 01'. Will it work? What will I have to do to make it work. Or any recommendations or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ,Brad:mechanic:

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

The simple answer is A LOT. You are way better off just finding a diesel truck.

I am just going to guess here as I have not done it... engine, radiator, intercooler&piping, exhaust, computer for a 24 valve, transmission and you mise well do a t-case since it will probably be easier to find the combo, drive shaft, fuel lines and fuel tank, gauge cluster, front coil springs.... that should get you started anyways.

I assume a 12 valve would be "easier" but still not worth it IMO. You can buy decent 98-02 Cummins trucks for ~$10,000.

3. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Wiring harnesses are totally different between the two trucks. You will have to pull the dashes, wiring and interior too. IMO look for a truck of the same era 94-98 12 valvers. The 24valve truck would work but be way too much work for the benifits.

The 01 has terrible fuel mileage too!!

I would look for a wrecked diesel and transplant needed pannels from a 2wd gasser.

4. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

It's not that hard, just takes time. There is a kit you can buy that has motor mounts, bellhousing, etc....
    Go with a 12 valve, way easier. Don't rip your dash apart, just splice as needed. I put a 12 valve in a 98 K2500.
    Im planning on doing it again to a 2000 2500HD. Cost me about $4500 total, and I did 95% of the work.

5. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

24 valve boooooooooooooooo

6. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

But a 24valve to be spliced and cut would take a wiring guru!!! Don't forget they need a computer to run the injection pump, tach glow grid ect. Much easyer to move the whole harnes over to the new truck.

7. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it. Well what got this all started was I lost reverse in the 46 and it was about 1800.00 to take and rebuild it. I found an 01" complete,engine(diesel),trans.,and transfer for a asking price of 2500.00. Other thing is this combo has 200,000 miles on it. Could you imagine after getting it all functioning and have the trans go out again.Lol

8. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

did the exact same thing last year. I wish I had a better truck before I started. Now that my 95 has a 12 valve in it, I'm noticing how the rest of the truck is falling apart. Not fun.
    Oh well It should pay itself off after this winter, provided we get decent snows. Will def be selling it in the spring hopefully.
    It cost me about 2 grand to swap everything; I had someone else do it. Truck now gets 2-3 times the mpg, & has more power too. Looked & looked & looked & couldn't find a truck cehap enough to buy outright back then so I had it swapped. I prob won't go thru it again, but once; heck yeah :mechanic:

9. WILLD420

WILLD420 Junior Member

A gasser transmission shouldn't cost you that much. If you can even consider doing the swap, you can do your own transmission. It isn't rocket science. Takes more effort to get it in and out of the truck, than it does to rebuild the trans if the hard parts are in decent shape.

I have an 02 with a Cummins. The wiring on that thing is a nightmare. You would be way better off just finding a diesel truck and going from there. I've seen lot's of 94-98 trucks around here for 7-10K and some of them are in very nice shape.

10. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

New fuel lines and new tank, new starter, dual battery, probably a new alternator.
    Have fun making all this fit in the engine compartment.
    But honestly good luck!

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Exactly. Its even easier on a Dodge, same Motor Mounts, Same Trans Mount, Same length Tranny and Transfer Case, Same Driveshafts, Same Axles, Same interiors.

Not Really, if he get's the computer from the Diesel to go with it it's not that hard. The 95 isn't very wire intensive, so it wouldn't be that bad. Heck guys have even adapted their Gasser Crank Position Sensor to work with the diesel so they didn't have to mess with the Odometer at all.

If you get everything for that price its worth it.

Don't need a new tank, pump and a few lines yes. And all the Dodge trucks have the same room in the engine compartment diesel or no diesel. It literally bolts right in.

Go to Compeition diesel.com and check it out for yourself. Its not as hard as people make it out to be who have never attempted it. Same type's of things were said to me when I swapped my 5.9 Gasser from an Auto Tranny to a Manual - it was a bolt and go deal and I made money on the parts.