1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

diesel transmission problems

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by FULLBURN, Nov 22, 2005.

1. FULLBURN

FULLBURN Junior Member
    from ct

I have a 2001 f-350 mason dump with power srtoke an automatic trans. first tranny lasted 36000 miles blew under warrenty, second trans lasted 45000 an just blew. I am a ford supporter but 2 trans in 80000 miles is not acceptable. I never have plowed with truck yet. truck mainly used for job estimating an trips pretty light duty work. has any one else had tranny problems. I also added a extra cooler to help out.

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

i have a 96 powerstroke.I changed the fluid and drained the torque converter every 20k miles.Truck has 107k miles on it.It is just starting to shift a little mushy but i can't complain getting 10 years out of a worked tranny

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have read that you need to have them rebuild it with internal STEEL PARTS. I work for an ambulance company that has 40 units,we always have a spare transmission in a case waiting for the next one to die. Someone will post a reply to where to have it rebuilt so it lasts.

For what it's worth ,I have had 2 Windstar minivans,one popped at 85k and one at 40k. The transmission shop was not a bit surprised. ($2,400 a pop)

4. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

Those trannies go bad quick for me. I also put in another cooler, trucool in front grill. I am changeing bypass valve on it next week, because of the different temp changes getting. Also, Check you flow rate in lines from coolers also. I wish I knew a good rebuild shop, but don't around here.

5. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Get a Chevy!
    From what I've heard, this sort of thing is not uncommon. I know Ford has a new transmission out, maybe it'll hold up. Not that it'll do you any good with this truck, but maybe Ford finally got it's act together with the tranny.

6. plowed

plowed Senior Member

The trans in my '01-550 took a dump last year during an event. It's the same trans as is in the 150s, 250s, 350s - you get the idea. We work the truck but it's never abused, it plows, hauls, tows like you would expect to do with a 550, that's why I bought it. Anyway, trans only had about 22k miles on it, maybe a bit less. My trans guy told me of lots of them, all similar mileage. No warranty for me, but the best local trans guy built it great. You can look at a BTS trans, which from what I have seen and heard is unbeatable from many standpoints. I told my trans guy that it doesn't need to look pretty, it just needs to work and last. Been great so far. Oh btw, when I took it to the Ford stealer it was slipping real bad, although they told me they could not re-create the problem. I picked it up and about 100 yards down the road it was slipping :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: The problem is the dealer techs don't get paid to drive or to try and re-create the problem, although the dealer will likely charge you a diagnostic fee. The techs only get paid to repair, so, many of them don't ever bother. Plus, my trans guy does all of the dealer work around here.

7. Pat M

Pat M Member

My 03 F250 goes in next week to get a new torque converter put in. Just had the fluids changed and they noticed shavings in the filter. Got the first fluid flush at 30,000 then the next one at 65,000 and the converter will be getting swapped out for a much beefier one. Hopefully the tranny is still good. Just need to decide on if I should swap it out now rather than later. I am looking at Hill Killer Transmissions since that is all they do and specialize in trannies for people that tow.

8. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

hey guys nothin uncommon about that. they have been having problems since they started using the 6.0. to much power i guess. My dad has done 3 trucks with the allison conversion (same tranny gm uses). No problems since he changed over.

9. payton

payton Senior Member