1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel to gas

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by K20-85-8600GVWRod, Dec 22, 2002.

1. K20-85-8600GVWRod

K20-85-8600GVWRod Junior Member

I have read brief statments on different Chevy boards about taking a diesel block and converting it to a gas engine. I have 50K miles on a GM crate engine , but I am considering restoring my truck ( original owner) and want more power. Having a HD emissions truck there are no cats, dual exhaust from the factory, 410 rears and a TH400 tranny. Thanks for your imput , Rod

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I dont understand what your question is. Do you currently have a diesel crate engine in the truck? Is your crate engine a gasser, and you are thinking that a diesel engine block converted to gas, will make you more hp?
    If you have a diesel now, add a turbo and free exhaust that will gain you some hp.
    If not sell the diesel and find a 454 gas. The diesels are under 400 ci, and I dont see a way to convert it to gas fuel delivery. The heads do not have any area for spark plugs, plus the intakes are suited for a carb.
    You can get good money for a late model 6.5 diesel engine, that will offset the cost of a BB.
    Dino

3. K20-85-8600GVWRod

Wow, thought i was the only one here a couple days before Xmas. I am running the standard GM 350 right now. I think 200hp with about 375 ft/lbs torgue. My understanding is that you take an old 350 ci olds diesel, keep the block, crank and pistons. Add gas heads, intake and carb and whatever else. I am not a mechanic. The diesel block gives you a bullet proof motor that can be built into a really bad motor. thanks, rod

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

people use that block because there is more material, it can be bored much farther than a gasser block, its not worth doing to the truck, just get a zz4 crate if you want power. there are better things to spend you money on than doing that.

Click for more horsepower suggestions :)

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

K20, Welcome to Plowsite!:drinkup:

I agree with Dino, the cheapest way to get more power is more cubic inches. If you're going to swap motors, why not throw in a Rat? You'll never get the torque from the mouse that is standard equipment with the big block without spending gobs of money, and then you get a reliability factor if you get too radical.

6. K20-85-8600GVWRod

Thanks everyone, more to think about. Rod

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The swap would be furthe complicated by the fact that the diesel you are looking at is an olds, and has a different block to bellhousing bolt pattern than a Chevy/GMC.
    Either build that 350, which any slightly modified 350 should more than enough grunt for a truck, or get a BB. I have a stock BB in my 89 K-3500, and that has so much low end compared to a SB.
    Dino