1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel Sucks For Plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jamesbgood, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesbgood

jamesbgood Junior Member

:help: I'm currently in the market for a plow truck, and was thinking of getting a diesel 3/4. i was speaking to an installer/mechanic of snowplows the other day (very reputable co.) and he was telling me to stay away from the diesel 3/4s because the extra weight of the engine on the front end affects how well the plow performs when pushing heavy snow.. Now you would figure a guy who is around snowplow trucks and their drivers all day would know a little something about what he's talking about, but Ive searched this forum and have found nothing on this being an issue. So I'm looking for opinions from people who have driven both engines in 3/4s and if you found any difference in the way they performed when pushing snow?
    Thank you
    :salute:

2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I have both, and I prefer a diesel any day. They're expensive and I buy all my stuff new, so I don't always get one, but I still prefer them. What he is talking about is if you are looking at a pre 2011 GM truck, with the extra diesel weight, you are "technically" limited on what you can use for a plow.

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I prefer a diesel over plow also. Infact I use a diesel! F250 I have to throw it in 4 lo when pushing heavy wet snow piles but other than that it's good.

4. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i was thinking of putting a plow on a 04 2500 HD chev i owned with a duramax...until i found out how ungodly slow reverse was.

5. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I now have both and will be using the diesel this winter and putting a driver in the gas. Both 3/4 ton and the diesel will have the bigger plow.

6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I prefer a diesel over gas also. Infact I use a diesel! F250 I have to throw it in 4 lo when pushing heavy wet snow piles but other than that it's good.

7. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

The installer is correct the extra weight does effect the performance ( but in a good way) just like putting weight in the back of your truck, I have a diesel and would never go back to a gasser if i had the choice. I think that installer bumped his he on a frame when he was installing a plow! :laughing::laughing:

8. jamesbgood

jamesbgood Junior Member

I didnt know this, is this something that all diesels do or just the chev? how ungodly slow are we talking here?

9. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I plow in 4 high and can go 30 mph maybe he plows in 4 low then I could see it being slow

10. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

we have an old beat up/rusted out 93 suburban in a-1 mech condition we plow with now...when i was going to upgrade my 04 chev hd 2500 duramax to something newer, rather than get beat up on a trade, i was going to retire the sub, and put the plow on the 2500...it would be my guess, i've never timed it...that the reverse on that is half of what the suburban is? a LOT slower anyway. this has the 5 speed allison, with the low hole being real slow, great for pulling trailers, has 3.73 rear ends in it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  11. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I use F250 F350 and F550 Diesel trucks and would not consider anything else. Not sure on other brands but the weight is fine with the right springs.

12. jamesbgood

jamesbgood Junior Member

shoudnt be a problem with a 900-1000lbs set up? as long as the blade is under the max front axel weight rating, correct?

13. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Do you really need to go more then 15 mph in reverse?

14. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

oh yeah, when you have the truck chasing finger drifts on a 5-10 acre lot left from a 624 deere loader/14' pusher, and want to keep up, you sure do!

15. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

If the propertys that big why dont you just turn around at the end of the run....

16. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

when you can back up 20-30 mph, why waste the time turning around? especially when the snow has to all go to one end of the lot?

17. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

diesel

Dayex does this so when he trades the truck it only has half as many miles on it ! ! ! !

18. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

LOL, watch your odometer when you plow, you're racking up miles forward, or backward.

19. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

Pushing power

I will alway remember the day when I watched one of my subs creep into a pile of plowed snow and just move it forward with his diesel. My gas truck would have been spinning its wheels if I had done that. I don't think you can beat the pushing power.

At the same time, I was able to clear that same pile with my truck just using some different techniques.

For the money, I would go gas. My gas trucks have been able to clear everything I have asked of them. When I got into 14 inch snow I just had to take smaller bites.

20. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Exactly, gas trucks can do 90% of what I ask them to do in snow plowing/hauling. Will a diesel do it better, sure which is why my vehicle will be a diesel, but employees/plow only vehicles will be gas.

The extra expense doesn't pay for itself in my eyes on a truck that sits 7 months out of the year waiting for snow :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.