1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel Re-program

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by BobC, Dec 5, 2006.

1. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Ford's recall for reprogramming due to some issue with sensor corrosion seems to have caused a lack of power and poor fuel economy in my 03 F250. It just doesn't seem as strong as it was. Maybe its a change in fuels. Anyone else notice this or have any thoughts.

2. rollnthunder

rollnthunder Junior Member

Every diesel that i have worked on the owners have always complained that after the update flash the truck seems gutless and lossed fuel economy.Thats why we always put a chip or programer in from dp tuner.

3. SmsSnowPlowing

SmsSnowPlowing Junior Member

Was this for the 6.0 or 7.3

4. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Sorry forgot they had both in 03. It's a 6.0

5. J29

J29 Senior Member

All of our 6.0 trucks at work were reprogrammed and felt the same as yours. Didn't have as much power as before. Still a beast, but takes a little longer to get there. Haven't noticed much change in fuel economy though, seeing as they all have 4.88 rear ends, all tow for a living, and do tons of idling, fuel mileage sucks anyways. J.

6. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

They are cutting down the fuel pressure in attempts to save the injectors. But all in all we all know the 6.0 is no where close to the power of the Cummins. So trade them in and buy a Dodge

7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

You and everyone else unfortunately. You'll get used to it eventually.

8. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Big Dave the Cummings is the only good feature Dodge has. I have too many friend that have been rebuilding front ends with low mileage usually under warrenty but the trucks are down for a while. Although I am not happy with reprograms power the truck has not lost a day in its 56,000 miles, knock on wood.

9. rollnthunder

rollnthunder Junior Member

It all depends on what they are used for and how they are maintained.My truck is 2002 F250 with the 7.3 and it has a 110,000 on it.I have never put ball joints in it or anything.I take my grease gun with a needle and inject some grease once in a while.I truely believe that is why i got so many miles out of my front suspension.The truck has had a 6 position chip in it since 30,000 miles and i have had to pull some things you wouldnt even think of.I had the back tires off the ground a good 6 to 10 inches pulling a stump that took a big Front end loader to lift it out of the hole.

10. J29

J29 Senior Member

BigDave,
    Dodge doesn't make anything that can tow what out 450's and 550's do. No knock on the Cummins, great motor. My cousin got over 300,000 miles out of his ram with daily abuse a given. Went through a few 47REs though. We did switch from the 6.0s to the Cummins in our 650's though. J.