1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel Question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by farmerkev, Feb 14, 2008.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Im not sure if Im posting in the right area, but I was wondering about opinions on a diesel truck in the winter. I live in MN and want to get a diesel truck this summer or fall, but what about the cold. If I plug it in and have good glow plugs, will I have a problem? what about if it sits out at school for a few hours? I REALLY want a diesel, but this is my only problem. My neighbor owns one and syas no prob, whats your opinion?

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I suggested don't pick diesel truck if you park at school it be diaster.

I want diesel truck but we found that if we live in coldest outside plus no electric to diesel for engine block heater.

I remember one guy that I work with his have diesel and he turn off then 3 hours later he try start it would spin but no fire so he end use starter fluid to get run. Now every time he turn off he plug to electric. Outside was -15 that day it not in Detroit it was north of Michigan.

3. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Bummer, I really want one, is there any aftermarket part I could buy to help?
    Thanks for the response.

4. Milwaukee

I am not expert but my Boss have 7 semi truck it don't have glow plug it have block heater but he don't use but he just use starter fluid then it run that.

But I heard starter fluid can break diesel

5. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

get the diesel

I have a diesel and would never go back to gas. As far as starting they start diffrent than a gas engine. But starting fluid is a NO NO. NEVER use it and i mean NEVER unless you got allot of money to spend. I plug my truck in every time i come home in the winter do i need to no. however it's easier on the engine and the truck warms up quicker. The only time my truck hasent started is when my glow plug relay was bad. the truck will turn over very slow on a cold day if not pluged in but it will still start if you got good batteries. Last year we took my buddys 2000 dodge cummens snowmobiling left the truck sit outside the hotel 2 days no plug in temp -30 windchill -50 with gusts got in the truck cycled the glow plugs twice and the truck tured over slow but it started smooked like crazy but by the time we packed up and loaded the gear the truck was go to go. Now my truck i can almost garantee woulnt start under those conditions because of the powerstroke the cummins has a higher compresion ratio witch inturn makes it allot easier to start on cold days than a power stroke. also the motor is smaller and has 2 less cylenders than the ford so the starter takes less power to turn over. It will take some getting used to when you switch to a diesel but i garantee you'll never go back to gas.
    Remember REAL TRUCKS DONT HAVE SPARK PLUGS. Hope that helps with your decision.

6. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I almost felt like putting that sparkplug quote in one post. I dont know very much about engines, but I have to start somewhere right? I am not sure about how glow plugs work, I hear people talk about turning them on, but I thought they were just a constant thing, could you please give me some description?

I would like a mid 90's 6.9 powerstroke. I could care less about the what trucks are better, all I care is its a truck.wesport But I do consider myself a Ford truck person. My favorite diesel, would have to be the good ole Detroits.

7. Milwaukee

ford 's 6.9L is best engine they make but 7.3L is better than 6.9L

What truck you look to buy? F350?

I know starter fluid is bad idea but my boss say it don't have glow plugs on Detroit diesel.

8. occ3377

occ3377 Member

two things, if your lucky there is a chance your school may provide you with a plug-in(ive seen it before!) and if you need a back up as said before the batteries are very important so always carry a jumper pack or jumper cables

9. speedy

speedy Senior Member

Starting fluid and glow plugs don't mix. Glow plugs are small, expen$ive electric heaters that heat the combustion chamber prior to starting the engine. http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glow_plug

In cold weather, let the glow plugs cycle several times, back-to-back. Do this by turning the ignition to run, wait till the glow plug or wait to start light goes out, then cycle the switch again. Good batteries are a must, you need the starter to have full power to turn the engine over as fast as possible. Lighter diesel engine oil or synthetic oil is a good thing to do for the winter as well.

There are small diesel-fired engine heater available for smaller diesel engines. they operate like the one for big-rigs. http://www.espar.com/html/applications/automotive.html

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  10. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

I bet this thread goes to 10 pages.:rolleyes::dizzy:

11. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

No prob for me, I would love a good lesson!:rolleyes:

12. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

I've never had a problem w/ my '05 Dodge, and it doesn't even have a block heater...

I've left it outside all night in -15 w/o the windchill factor, and it starts right up every time...

I would never go back to gas...

13. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Well maybe the newer ones are fine, but Id be gettin' an older one, they still fine with glowplugs?

14. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

My truck has glow plugs...

I don't know much about the older ones...

Maybe you could keep a couple 12 volt batteries and an inverter to plug in the block heater while you were in class...

Just a thought

15. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Would that work for anytime Im not driving and theres no plug in?

16. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

Maybe...

I'm not sure of the amp draw, but if it were only a few hours, I think it would work...

Hopefully others will chime in...

17. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I don't think that would work.

My block heater cord is still ty-wrapped under the hood. Never even used it. One time up north it had gotten down to -30*F, no wind chill that was actual temp. By the time I needed to start it, it was around -5 to 0 and it started like a champ. I've never had a problem with it not starting because of the cold.

18. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I havent plugged my truck in yet this winter. so far the coldest was a -25 windchill and it still started with no issues. as long as your glowplug realy is working along with all glowplugs and you have a healthy battery youll never have an issue. there are chemicals you can put in the tank if your that concerned about your fuel gelling.

I love my diesel, i wont say that that ill never own a gas truck again because they are so much cheaper to buy but the diesel, if you have a use for it is a great way to go.

19. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

Windchill won't effect it anyway. It could be 0, or 0 with a windchill making it feel like -25 but a truck isn't a human so it won't be effected by that. Still the point is today's diesels start at lower temps with less problems.

20. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

I am not sure about the 6.9, but my 6.0 will start with 2 cycles at -5 and our 99 7.3 is tougher to start but it will. also if you leave youre truck at school for say 5 hours, it should start up just fine, mine does all the time, but it really doesnt get below zero much here.