1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dewey, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I looked for a Diesel section to post this and I didn't see it ,,, My question is... I was at a garage today and we were talking about trucks and such and the mechanic started telling me that all newer Diesels were being built with a Urea Tank. I had never heard of it.. I did a quick search online to see for myself and the site I went to did in fact confirm what he said...And from what I saw it is on all Diesels built after January 2010 there is supposed to be a Urea tank in conjunction with a fuel tank ...My question is how many guys on here have a truck with this system... is it in fact on all Diesels ??? I have never seen Urea at a fuel station is it something only dealers have...?? How expensive is it and does it help with fuel millege ?

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Yes they all have it, I'm sure all truck stops have it by now, most gas stations have it. Not sure on price, and no it doesn't help mpg
  3. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

They DON'T all have it. Dodge 2500 and 3500 series get by without.
  4. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

X2 on that! Cumins is the only diesel at this point without Urea to pass emissions.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Commonly referred to as DEF - Diesel Exhaust Fluid. Getting easier to find, AutoZone carries it.
  6. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Flying J has it for around $13.99 for a 2.5 gallon sized jug. Brand name 'Blue'

Keep the tank full until you need to pass inspection, then turn the system on. Down the road, turn it back off. No problem.
  7. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

There is no on or off for def. If the tank runs out the truck goes into limp mode.
  8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

The cab and chassis have it.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I thought so, but I wasn't going to start a fight
  10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

All diesels will have it going forward if they require it to meet the emissions standards, which are based on the emissions of the engine and the class of the truck. The DEF is supposed to replace the DPF system since it will not be able to be defeated by the end user as most DPF systems are being done, and the fluid will not affect mileage like the DPF system does.
    You can thank all the diesel "bombers" who think blowing black smoke (unburned fuel) is cool, the cheap company owners running old and worn out class 8&9 trucks, and the greenies for reacting in typical fashion (Eww smoke must be bad for the environment) forcing Congress to tighten the emissions on these engines.
    Also, Cab Chassis trucks are under the definition of commercial truck where the same truck with a pickup bed from the factory is not - a minor difference which has a major impact on the emissions classification for the vehicle.
  11. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I guess its one more reason to buy a gasser next :salute:
  12. wewille

wewille Senior Member

According to ford, they claim using the scr system with urea has allowed them to improve fuel economy significantly over previous exhaust treatment systems which only used oxidation catalyst and a dpf and regeneration, Ford claims it does not need to go into regen nearly as much(which kills fuel economy). Ford says their cost of operating is less over a years time than is the dodge with a cummins that does not use an scr. I believe cummins has found a way to use enhanced egr and a more aggressive regeneration process to reduce NOX levels. The aggressive regen that Cummins is using has not allowed them to improve fuel economy nearly as much as ford and chevy. SCR is selective catylist reduction, it is the name for the process where they inject the urea to reduce NOX emissions. Very fascinating stuff. But I agree, gassers are far more economical now days.
  13. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Just to clarify, the new scr systems which use def are NOT eliminating the dpf systems. Ford and chevy use both.
  14. wewille

wewille Senior Member

It indirectly helps boost fuel economy, by reducing regeneration events among other things.
  15. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Best bet is to buy the lowest mileage pre 07.5 diesel you can find! Cummins, of course!
  16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Actually, best bet is buy the condition 94-97 Dodge you can get- no computer controlled engine, no expensive injectors, no glow plugs, no block casting issues (53 block), no DEF, no DPF, no EGR, (only a handful of trucks had CATs), and can easily put out the power of today's diesel's with a few tweeks.
    If you can keep the body from rusting away and put a good transmission in it you're set.

Thanks for the correction, I assumed Ford and GM would be doing away with the DPF since Cummins is with the Urea system, especially since the DPF/CAT is where a large portion of mileage and driveability issues come from.
  17. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

Let me know when there is a by pass for this. Don't even get me started on how diesel burns cleaner than gasoline
  18. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

They're plenty more reason to buy a diesel over buying a gas.
    Eg. Better fuel economy.
  19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You better be driving lots of miles hauling lots of weight. And keep the truck for a long time.
  20. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

It also likes to freeze in cold temps, like during a snow storm.