1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel Question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by F350plowing, Mar 17, 2010.

1. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

How many miles can these things run im looking a getting a used one and i see a lot with a lot of miles on them and wanted to know how long the generally last?

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Depends what you do with it, some get 500,000 miles. Lots of maintnence too. And if something breaks it's usualy not cheap.

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

You didn't state what make diesel,what size, or application.Anyway,if it's very well taken care of,a dry sleeved diesel[assuming you're talking 3/4-1 ton truck here] will usually go app. 3 times longer than a comparably sized gas job.

4. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I have even seen 6.0's with 500k miles but the rest of the truck is falling apart.

5. DodgeRam1996

DodgeRam1996 Senior Member

I'm new to the diesel world also and I'm trying to learn everything I can. I've read that around 250,000 (to 300,000 on some) miles some type of "overhaul" must be preformed. I'm not exactly sure what has to be done or how much it costs.

I would think if properly maintained a diesel could get up to 1 million miles, but the way plowing and hauling stuff beats on a truck 500,000 miles would still be an achievement.

6. ajslands

............................... Oops........... Double post..............

7. ajslands

^ semis can get a few million.........................

8. F350plowing

what about a 5.4 v8 in a 02 f250 its got a 191,000 is it worth looking at o is that to many miles its the crew cab short box stock the outside looks fine i have not seen it in person its kinda far away so i dont want to wast my time! any input would be great

9. ajslands

What are you ploughing? If your doing residentials; you might want a supercab instead, I do a few resis with an f250 longbed supercab, and it's realy hard to get into tight spaces, if your doing commercial you'll be fine tho.

10. F350plowing

im not sure if it will ever get a plow its for a 17 year old he wants to plow but i don't know if he could afford the plow he will probably still use one of mine if it gets a plow it will be all commercial use