1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel question for a 6.0L

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Brian Young, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Our 6.0L has gelled up twice now even with additive added. It's been very col here, well into the negatives with wind chills of -30 or so. The other day I had 3/4 full untreated fuel so I dumped about 1 1/2 cups of this PPF additive then topped off the tank and drove home which is only about 2 miles away. The truck sat for about 6 hours then we went out plowing and after about 2 hours of plowing it gelled up. I nursed it back to my shop and within 20 minutes it ran fine. I drained the water separator and drained about 3 quarts of water and fuel, left it sit in our shop for a couple days and everything has been fine. Today everything started and ran fine, I had the truck sitting at idle for about 1.5 hours then went to leave and it started spitting and sputtering. I pulled the filters and found the one on the frame rail had a frozen film around it so I drained everything again and left it drain for a while, installed new filters and after only a minute the water in fuel light came back on. Bad fuel? If so what can I do, the tank is almost full.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Wow. Sounds like ur having fun. U have any other diesels to compare with?

I would want to say bad fuel or ur tank has been collecting water over time and now its showing.

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like a lot of water in the tank, not so much the fuel gelling. Only thing I can suggest is drain the tank.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I was always told to never buy fuel in Erie.

5. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

What I would do.......Drain the tank of all Fuel...Change all filters again....Fuel Truck back up.....NOT from the same source you have been fueling...Treat the crap out of the fuel you are putting in due to the fact you will not get all the crappy Fuel out of the system....Not Fun...But that's what I would do

Put 911 or Melt Down in the tank after refueling.....The whole Bottle...It wont hurt anything

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  6. Brian Young

Thanks guys, I figured I'd have to drain it all out. Sucks because it's basically full but a new tank of fuel is better than being stranded I guess.

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

FYI.911 is basically alcohol it's used to dissolve water.
    It only should be used after a /freeze up.

a better choice is to use a additive that
    demulsifies or displaces water out of the fuel, leaving only fuel to burn. Products that emulsify or disperse water into the fuel are usually alcohol, like 911 or solvent based and can further damage key system components by allowing water to pass through the fuel water separator. Since water is abrasive, it tends to score or wear down the close metal to metal tolerance of the injection system.

only use 911 after a freeze up.

i'm with the rest, drain that tank and start fresh with new filters

8. Defcon 5

Well Mr. Farmer......He is Frozen up......There will still be Gelled Fuel in the system....Have used Polar Power Melt Down or 911 in lieu of Regular Polar power for 24 years now....It will NOT hurt anything in this one time application......Im sure you will have some witty retort.....So. bring it on

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

How dare you challenge him, google calls him for answers on everything.

10. Brian Young

Well one thing, Im going back to using Stanadyne (however you spell it). Ever since using this PPF stuff, it's gelled up. I actually found out some of the 05's had a fuel heater right at the pump so Im checking to see if mine does, if it does it's not working!

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Well MR.The sky is falling.

what is he doing in the post above?
    I'll wait until you are done.....
    '
    '
    '
    done?
    good

Why use 911 in the tank of fresh fuel?

we can lower the defcon level down to #1.

now go back and read my post again.
    Ill wait.....

as i said you dont want to use it in every tank only AFTER a freeze up, to dissolve the water.
    your yelling, what i stated above...

:laughing::laughing:
    ho my gawd
    funny and on topic.

12. kimber750

Now this explains a lot. :rolleyes:

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

don't you have to go pick your nose?

14. kimber750

Nope, so cold that is all frozen up. I do have an itch I can't reach if you want to help. Thumbs Up

15. Defcon 5

I read your almost incoherent post and what I said is treat it with 911 or meltdown for this one application....You will still have crap in the system...Maybe its time to admit you don't know everything.......:whistling:.....Your Not Basher.........:laughing:

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

or b&b. thank gawd

yea a lot of water left in the system Thumbs UpThumbs Up.

but is it frozen up?

no.
    a additive other than 911 is needed.

as you said in your rant and i in my statement is
    what for it

is to only use 911 after a freeze up.

You dont use 911 to prevent one.

NOW,with a tank of fresh fuel you dont
    want to not have any alcohol present.
    You WANT the fuel water separator/filter catching any water that could be left in the system. then you drain the separator often until things clear up.

like is said.

I'm not going to apologize for having over 30 years experience with diesels.

im just trying to help a guy out with some sound advice.

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

sorry, my swing don't go that way.

but you may want to ask GP :waving:

18. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I've driven diesels since 2001, and up until last year, i never put any additives in the tank and never had any issues. Last year, my truck gelled up twice. First time, limped it to the dealer, they flushed system, replaced filters and put their (Ford) additive in and gave me the remainder of the bottle. When i ran out, i ran to Napa and bought a bottle of power service or whatever is in the white bottle (same company that makes the 911). First tank i ran with that crap gelled again. Limped back to dealer. Truck was so bad, it only had enough power in 4 low to move itself, so drove 20mph to dealer in 4 low after spending an hour on the side of the road trying to figure out how to load on wrecker (unsuccessfully) with plow and spreader on. Flushed, filtered again. Through white bottle in trash and bought a case of the Motorcraft fuel additive and haven't had an issue since.

19. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Must have not used enough, I've been using power service white bottle for years, never had anything gell, even once. It's been -20 or colder last two weeks here. Only ever had a truck gell when I tried using Howes.

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'm betting it was the fuel, not the Power Services. PS is sold all over and has a great reputation.