1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel Overhaul

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PLOWMAN45, Feb 13, 2005.

1. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Whats the cost of rebuilding a diesel and what milage should and overhaul be done
  2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Which engine?
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The answer to the question is expensive and as high as possible, only if it really needs it.

Diesel motors are about twice as much as a gasser to rebuild.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i just wanted a ball park on any of the three major ones ford chevy dodge
  5. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

I wouldn't do it either unless absolutely necessary. Diesels should last about twice as long as a gasser, as long as it was treated well.

*** My Mack truck has 803,000 miles on it with no overhaul. Has had some other stuff though. Just had head gaskets replaced. I am shooting for over 1,000,000 miles. ***
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  6. jbjw@netins.net

jbjw@netins.net Junior Member

deisel rebuild

Hi i have 3 dodge cummins turbo deisel's 1-91 200,000miles,1-97260,000&1-98 150,000 and with routine maint. i have never had any problems with mine and they are always hooked to either a plow or a trailer. i have herd of some guys with 600,000+ miles on them with no major overhauls.
  7. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I've just rebuilt a Cummins 24 valve. There is nothing EASIER I'm telling you. The hardest part was putting the engine tranny combo back into the truck, I swear. It was HEAVY!

Cost was about $360.00 for head and block work. $500.00 call it for pistons, ringsets, rods and mains and a gasket set. Get a new headgasket, too. Another $125.00 or so. Get some extra engine oil and filters cause your gonna change your oil after 1000 miles or so.

Total call it $1000.00 or so if you do it yourself.

All the parts are so big and theres hardly a lot of them, you'll be surprised you're done. You'll feel like you forgot something. Easy.
  8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

But if you had taken it to a shop it would be like 3-4 times that... it always is. Trust me, I worked in one. Most diesel engines that came in were disgustingly dirty compared to the gassers and the shop charged extra because you would tear down the engine and smell like it for days, no matter how much you washed!!! Stupid little jobs like magnafluxing take longer because the block weighs a ton etc. There is nothing to them but shops will charge a lot for a job like that.
  9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

cummins is the SB 350 of the diesel PU world. they have been out and modded and worked on for so long you could get a rebuild kit from the local supermakrt.

7.3's and 6.5's and such have parts available and arnt bad......think of it as a doge 360 of the gasser world

New diesels would be stupid expensive and will remain as such for quite awhile if parts are even available??? Most people that chuck a motor in a newer diesel I am betting will just get a motor outa a recked rig or a new crate motor.

I can yank and build a SBC or BBC for stupid cheap but will pay through the nose for the same motor to be "professionally" built.
  10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I think the consensus is a minimum of 300K miles as long as you do the normal maintenance for all the big 3's Diesels. you may consider bringing it to the factory shop for a rebuild- not the truck dealer but the engine manufacturer (Cummins, Navstar, Isuzu, etc) I'm not sure where or If each has an outlet as such, Cummins has several- I have dealt with the Northeast division regularly but it might be worth looking into. I wouldn't trust a local Diesel mechanic as I would cummins themselves (Infact I wouldn't trust my Dodge Dealer to do it either)