1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

diesel or not a good idea

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by S & L LawnCare, Nov 12, 2004.

1. S & L LawnCare

S & L LawnCare Member

ok I am intrested in buying an F250 XLT SuperCab its a 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel but here is my problem how often do hey gell? i am a senior in highschool and would have to leave it for like 8 hrs on those cold days do u guys think i would have to worry about gelling? i mean i dont want to get out of schol and it does not start... also i have herd of things like in line fuel heaters or fuel tank heaters will these help at all :dizzy:

2. DJC

DJC Senior Member

depending on the year you should not have any problems. We have 2 ford diesels and love them.

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

It's been 20 below here before and I plugged mine in with no gelling. Started right up the next morning. Most gas stations around here add anti-gelling additives to thier tanks in the winter.

4. shepoutside

shepoutside Member

I have a few I don't even plug in, never a problem.

5. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I have never had a problem with my 01 F350 starting without being plugged in.
    Just add some conditioner to the fuel if you are worried about it gelling.
    There is also a product that I keep in the truck just in case.
    It's called diesel 911.
    It is a treatment that you can put right into the fuel filter to start the engine if you are having any trouble starting it.
    The fuel filter is right on top of the engine and all you have to do, is spin the fuel filter cover off and pour it right in.

P.S. never use starter fluid on the powerstroke engine, if it hits a hot glow plug than gelling will be the least of your problems.

6. S & L LawnCare

S & L LawnCare Member

wow, now what about the fact of leaving it for 8 hours while im in school.. is it possible to gell in that time

7. DJC

DJC Senior Member

You will now have to worry about the fuel in 8 hrs or 16 hrs. You should be just fine. :waving:

8. DJC

DJC Senior Member

sorry, I mean not worry!!!!!!!!!!

9. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

I wouldn't worry about it. I had the same thoughts when I got my truck. It's a '01 Dodge Ram with the 6 speed High Output Cummins Diesel in it. This last winter I was in at the MN State Patrol Training Academy, and we had to park are vehicles and couldn't go to them to start them or anything untill we were released at the end of the week (Friday night). The temperatures in Little Falls, MN (Northern MN) got down to about -30 at the most during our coldest days at night and probably around -10 to 0 degrees during the day. Of course there were some days that it got a bit warmer than that, but my point is, is that my truck sat all week like that during the winter and never had an issue starting it. I take that back. There was one time only, and that was when it was about -30. I cycled my grid heaters only twice which I don't think was enough. When it's been really cold I have done it as many as 4 times, and she starts right up. I don't know how Ford's start, but I know there has only been one time with mine, and I think it was cause by me not cycling my grid heaters two more times to get the cyclinders hot. I can tell you for a fact that I have left it unplugged in -10 to -15 at my house and has started up. You have nothing to worry about I think. As for the fuel. I agree with what has been said earlier. As long as you buy from a reputable place; like a truck stop that alot of truckers go to and fuel is gone through a lot, you don't need to worry about gelling.

Hope that helps

10. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

I usually keep my truck in a heated garage, however it did end up sitting outside during the coldest weekend of the year and it started right up. It was about -30f and I did'nt expect it to start. It kicked hard for about 30 seconds then smoothed out.
    Oh I forgot to mention it's a Powerstroke

11. Hawkc01

Hawkc01 Member

Sorry, I have to ask, what do you need a F250 Diesel Supercab for? Don't misunderstand me, this is a great machine (have 3), but a diesel is very work specific. If your going to use it only as a means of transportation then you ARE wasting your money. If it is work related, again type of work should also be a consideration, a gasoline might be the best value. I wouldn't want you to buy something you may regret. Let us know if we can help with some of these questions if you feel the responses would be worth your time.

Here's to looking out for you, buddy. :drinkup:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  12. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Hey butler, what year is it? Mine always starts right up.

13. S & L LawnCare

S & L LawnCare Member

Its Going To Be Used For Transportation,Plowng And Landscaping

14. Hawkc01

Hawkc01 Member

If you are just getting started, I would get a gasoline F250, but if you know you are going to be doing this for 4+ years, then I would consider a diesel. Gas will not pose any problem pulling/pushing the items you described.

Otherwise, that diesel should start anytime. We do however, plug them in at night here in the great white tundra.

Good Luck.

15. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

spend the extra money for the diesel,it's worth every penny. the new diesel's don't have a problem starting in the cold ,they scream a bit louder when it's below 20 .f but they will start.

16. S & L LawnCare

S & L LawnCare Member

No I have been in buisness for a while I have a 61" BOBCAT ZTR and a 48" BOBCAT Walk Behind. See I know that diesel is by far a stronger engine compared to gas I have $17,500 to spend used truck but the reason i am asking u guys this question is i have seen a lot of diesel trucks that match the description i said earlier and i would not mind having 1 i just dont want it to fuel to gell

17. Dig-it Landscap

Dig-it Landscap Member

the #1 diesel that they are putting in the pumps now is not supposed to gell until it gets below -40. if you are still worried about gelling you should put about 5 gallons of kerosene in a full tank of fuel this should prevent gelling and not hurt your engine.

18. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I never plug my smoker in and she starts up every time. I have a remote start that is wired to the WTS light. That way in the colder weather it will wait longer to fire so the GP's can get hotter. I have driven diesels for a long time and have never experienced gelling. Actually, the term 'gelling' is a bit misleading. What actually happens is the parafin wax found in the fuel starts to harden. The good thing about the 7.3 is there is a small heater element in the fuel bowl that helps warm the fuel before it reaches the injectors.

Before you spend the dough on a used PSD, if you are interested, send me a PM and I will tell you all the things to look for problems wise. Injectors, GP's fuel pump, O-rings, oil & fuel pressure info, etc. There's a lot to know. Have you ever seen the injectors on a 7.3? They are very unique. The PSD doesn't have a high pressure fuel system. Instead, it has a high pressure oil system. It's the HP oil that delivers the HP fuel into the combustion chamber. SOme say it's safer. Some say it's over-engineering.

19. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Most of the winter I run a blended fuel that is good to -15. In December and January I run straight #1 and have not had any trouble at -60. If you try running straight #2 you will gel up in less than 8 hours if the temp is below 0. Just be sure you get the proper fuel for the weather and you will be fine. By the way starting is not a problem at -60 either. Just plug it in and she will fire right up.