1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

diesel or gas

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowman91, Aug 31, 2007.

1. I'm looking at buying a used truck with in the next year and would like to use a 8' plow(i prefer fisher, boss, or western) . is it better to get a diesel or gas? and what size?
  2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

diesel if you can afford it gas if you cant its that simple
  3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. Many of the people I plow with with gas trucks are fetting fuel every 4-6hours...full tanks. I can plow around 20 hours stright without even looking at my fuel guage. When were in the middle of a good snow my truck has ran for days without ever shutting off. It hardly uses any fuel to idle for hours. Plus, the diesel motor can outpush the same setup on a gas motor truck. Between weight and tourque these diesels are the way to go.
  4. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

snow man i got my truck at magarino ford in sussex . very nice people very helpful i'll plan on going back . one more thing too add to deisel debate my sure get good amount of ballst so much low end on diesel and wheels start spinning if don't have weight .
  5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I second that ballast and weight thing. I plow with a 100 fuel transfer tank over the axle(approx. 800lbs full) and approx. 800lbs of tractor weights behind the axle. This also alows me to plow in 2wd most of the time:nod:
  6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Diesel. 8.5' Plow on a 1 Ton
  7. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

i have 2 55 gal plastic barrels i fill them with water both weight about 1200lbs when i'm done that plenty seeing western calls for 1000lbs of weight . have some good meaters to clear the snow and your good
  8. would a hopper spreader be enough weight
  9. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

I*M a New Bee to the Diesel pick Up scene! a Retired Trucker--Big Jobs--my first Diesel pick UP! as I started plowing Way Back! w/ a Jeep pick up & had many differant Makes over the yrs & unless your Plowing Highways or Large Lots Shorter is BETTER! I live in MAINE--FISHER County--& Fishers a Great Plow but after Using a BLIZZARD I*M SOLD on Blizzard! its Faster & to Me Does a lot Better JOB I just Bought a Blizzard Off a Freind thats NOT Plowing any More so My 96 7.3 & the Blizzard will be Tested Come First SNOW! as mentioned in another Post--Ballast is the THING! at least the Weight of your Plow but MORE won*t Hurt! I Guess? Its Time to Prepair? as the SNOWS just around the Connor? so Get To Tinkering so You will be READY??--TAKE CARE! as Its Dangerous out There!--OleTower--