1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

diesel or gas

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NE BLIZZARD, Dec 29, 2004.

NE BLIZZARD Junior Member
    from NJ

I'm looking for a used F350 to plow with, should i get a diesel for the extra torque to push the show or will a gas be fine. Also, what is the best plow & V-shape 2yd spreader for the $$$$. My budget is limited, i can't go over 15,000 (total). So around 10-12 for the truck & the rest on the spreader & plow. I will be doing 5 commercial parking lots. All comments and advice are needed.

- Matt
  2. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I think you might be hard pressed to find a 350 with a power stroke for that price in good shape. I have a 97 F-350 crew cab dually with a ps and I paid 16,500 in 2003. I was just looking at 2000 models and they are still in the 20-25,000 dollar range no trade in this year :( .

The truck I bought to plow with is gas I couldn't afford to buy a ps just to plow with. I picked up a 96 f250 and I gave 7500 for it. It came with a plow and spreader that helped in the descision. If I had the extra cash and accounts lined up I would have got a ps over a gas I just couldn't justify it on a truck I will use a couple months a year in the postition I'm in.

My other truck I will never replace with anthing but a ps I put on about 30,000 miles a year and pull heavy trailers with it so it pays to spend extra $ there. I guess it depends if your going to due other things with it or drive it year round or just plow with it. This is just my opinion but I would say if you can find a ps in good shape for that price jump on it. On mine the only thing I had to replace was the cam position sensor and it has about 185,000 on it. Well a trans and brakes to but like I said I pull very heavy trailers so thats to be expected.

I don't think I helped you much sorry.
  3. earthwerks

earthwerks Junior Member

I have always used Dodge (cummins) diesels. My '03 High-Output works extremely well. I spent 8 hours last week plowing 8" depth and drove through 4 cities to do my route and only used a little over a quarter tank. The nice thing about diesels with auto trans is, especially doing large lots, is I give it half-throttle at the start, and halfway to three-quarters down (depending on accumulated depth) the run I let off fully and the turbo keeps pumping out power until the end. This saves fuel too. Had this been a gas engine (which I have driven) the truck would have immediately slowed as soon as I let off the pedal.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For that money, you'll probably be limited to a gasser. My diesel 3500 was six years old with 90,000 miles when I got it for $16,000. I've still spent quite a bit in repairs; probably around $3,000. The plow came with it, but the 2yd Fisher Vbox cost around $3,000 if I remember right.

So I'd say, either plan on a gasser or commit more money. Maybe you can get a different brand Vbox for less.
  5. hesko1

hesko1 Member

If you plan on keeping the truck a long time get a diesel !
  6. sharpercut

sharpercut Junior Member
    from MD

Be careful with the new aluminum ford gas engines. The spark plug has only 4 or 5 threads and can blow out of the head leaving a hole where the spark plug should be. We have had this happen to one of our 01 v8s. Our mechanic knew a guy who fixes this problem after it blows, but supposedly it happens frequently to the ford gas engines. We stick to Diesels, for many reasons, but if your looking used you can only get what you can find.
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You can find a used 94-97 Dodge diesel for about $10K-12K now around here
  8. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

We have gas and diesel trucks. Here is what I have found.
    4300 for diesel option, 35 cents more per gal for fuel, 11 quarts instead of 6 quarts for oil change, oil filter on diesel costs 2x the cost of the gas truck oil filter, fuel filter is 4 x the cost of gas fuel filter and there are less diesel mechanics than gas engine mechanics.

In the past 3 yrs I have spent the following
    injection pump $3300
    transfer pump and pressure reg $730
    Tranny lines and heat exchanger $500
    Turbo $1000
    double clutch torque converter and tranny rebuild $3400

My gas rigs never cost me that much. I have a few big rigs that require diesel engines for the power needed. Diesel costs more for parts, maintenance, orginal purchase and operation.

I have to say.. it is real manly to hear that engine!