1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel or Gas

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hookem_9, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Hookem_9

Hookem_9 Junior Member

Well, I did some searching with no luck, So I thought I'd ask. Which is better? Diesel or gas?
    Currently have an 02' 2500HD w/6.0 gas, considering an 04' w/Duramax Alision.
    Thanks,

2. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

How about this <a href="http://plowsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=8838">one</a>?

3. KenP

KenP Senior Member

CUMMINS POWER

4. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

It depends their both good. gassers are better becuase theirs less weight on the front end leaving more weight to be take up by the plow... Diesel get better gas mileage... either way ya go they both outta do the job well.

5. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

How about the 489hp i have coming out out of my 03 cummins..... i cant wait to see the snow fly!

6. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I have to change my avitar...... i cant have this up long... Hemi is old school now

7. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

ceaman......R U serious ?? 489HP out of the cummins diesel, what kind of torque ? That thing should plow a mountain of snow. I also see indiana in your post....check our website indysnowplowers.com

8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

489 at the motor or at the rear wheels?

489hp aint going to do you much good in the snow except light up your tires.....then again there is no such thing as too much power :D

You have to put some miles on things for the diesel to have a $$$ advantage. Or you need to do some deccent amount of towing. But oil burners sure are cool and very easy to get power out of. :cool:

9. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

those are rear wheel dyno numbers...

torque was 828 ft lbs

I am getting 47 lbs of boost
    running a edge EZ, stacked with a unnamed box and a Afe Intake.

I have an extra 4 quarts in the mag hytec trans pan but the torque converter slips a little on engage ... I need a triple lock converter ($1300). The rear diferential gets a bit overheated as well..... the paint is burnt off of the diff cover ... so a mag hytec pan will be installed as well as guages to monitor that as well.

the truck was purchaced new June 12th '03 and is just ready to roll 57,000 miles....