1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel or gas what to buy?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PTTP08, Jan 2, 2011.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I am going to buy a NEWER truck like a 08 or newer super duty F250 or 350 next season I am going to spoil my self in stead of my wife this time haha she got the 07 Ranger last year. My qestion is this should I buy a gas v8 or a power stroke? What are you guys running or prefer? I never owned a stroke but I have ran them they have lots of power and sound cool going down the road and they seem to get a lil better mileage than a gas BUT if they break down I better get out my wallet just a belt is 300 bucks. Gas or the Triton v8 I never ran one so I know nothing about them I am assuming they get OK milage if I take it easy I see ALOT of gas super duties running around town. If they break down I would gather that parts are half the cost of a stroke. Thanks for the input guys/gals

2. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

I own 2 power strokes and I like them for what I do. They always have a heavy trailer on them or a heavy load in them. For a straight up work truck I would go diesel. However if you are not doing a lot of heavy towing or hauling I might consider gas. The gas will have plenty of power to plow and is much nicer to run. I get sick of listening to my trucks all of the time. Also diesel is more expensive than gas so even though you may get better gas milage you pay more. I would never buy a gas truck to work with every day, but would love one as my daily driver/ occasional work truck.

3. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Ahh that is good thing to look at now my next ? is this and I should of put this in the original post what is the differance between a 250 and 350 ? is just suspension? It seems that both trucks have the same axles and or same drive train but I could be wrong. Again thanks again for your input guys/gals

4. JCark

JCark Member

From what I've gathered usually the difference is 500 lb's on the GVWR rating on the base models (on paper), but essentially on the base models the only difference is the badges. On the F350 you have more options as far as the suspension goes, including the option to have DRW's as well.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Here's my take......I bought an 06 F250 with a 5.4L gasser new and back then towed a 16ft enclosed trailer for landscaping. Around town it did fine and even on the hi-way it was so-so. Now we have a 24ft enclosed trailer, a18ft skid steer and again, around town it does fine but on the hi-way.....forget it! This this is in 1st and 2nd gear, maybe 3rd gear going down hill. The tach is always in the 3-4500 range screaming down the road. Towing either trailer loaded is slow going up even slight hills. If your just going to be plowing or towing say under 5k total, you'll be fine with a gas motor but anything above and beyond that I would recommend a diesel. This summer 2 of our vehicles are paid off (whoohoo) and we're looking to sell our 1 ton dump and buy another F250 or 350 and its going to be a diesel.

6. JCark

JCark Member

I had a 5.4 before my diesel only it was the 3 valve on a 99 F350 and it didnt have enough power to pass some one on the freeway with no load at all. I did tow a 20 ft flatbed trailer with it but I had to stay in the slow lane. Don't get me wrong I loved the truck but i had to go with the diesel and I'm glad i did. I have to say too the 5.4 was a beast when it comes to plowing and being a 99 it sat alot higher than my 06 too.

7. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I've been wondering the same thing lately, and maybe you gasser guys can chime in. I'll most likely be purchasing a new truck for myself this season, and turning my truck into a work truck. I only own diesels at the time, and while some start right up in the cold, I have two (fords...go figure) that hate the cold and need to be plugged in. After forgetting to plug mine in the other night, and waking up to snow on the ground I cranked the cr@p out of it in a panic and killed the battery. Had to jump it with the wife's gasser, which of course turned right over.
    So I guess I've just been really wondering about the difference. Gas is cheaper than diesel, I really don't tow too much with the truck anymore, and it can be harsh on the ears after hours of plowing. Is there really that much of a difference anymore, with all the new technology out? Especially with the new emissions additives.

8. JCark

JCark Member

IMO if your not hauling too much and you use it for mainly plowing, gas is probably the way to go, the mileage wont be as good but you wont have to worry about starting problems in the cold. Plowing with a gasser is a bit better too because you don't have to wait for a turbo to spool before you get torque to the wheels, you might like it better.

9. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

I own both gas and diesel right now. both are 03 F250 supercab SB 4x4. first one i got 5.4L. Runs great. plows great. was gutless driving down the road with over a ton of salt in the back. Then I added an Edge computer running it in tow mode. that woke it right up. However towing my trailer and boats it still always lagged or I had to be winding it out. I bought a 6.0L diesel a few months ago. Was very uncomfortable with the turbo lag at first. I added an Edge Juice and intake mod to help with that. It helped a bit. For towing and running heavy loads it is incredible for. For plowing it plows great however i miss the response of hitting the gas that my other truck has. When the trans gets hot it engages a little slower into gear. And the engine and trans temps seam to run a lot touchier. Fuel economy is better with the diesel. But diesel costs more. I would say I prefer plowing with the gas truck. but I prefer the diesel for every this else.

10. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Diesel is a very expensive option on a new truck or even pre-owned...and the maintenance gets a bit expensive as well, fewer people want to work on them, and it always seems something stupid goes wrong at the worst possible time...all of my trucks including my excursion are diesel but if i was buying another truck...I may lean toward gas...

11. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

As a personal driver I also prefer my gasser. Noise, smell, cheaper to fix and easy to find fuel. All my dumps are diesel, they are either loaded or pulling a trailer. I burn more fuel plowing with our Duramax than my 6 liter gas. Gotta slam the pedal all the time and in reverse it sucks, slow, slow, slow!

12. JJSLandscape

JJSLandscape Member

iv'e owned both. switched to all gas for the last 4 years and hated it for all of them. But, it depends on your situation. If your only using it to plow, not running a vbox, and light duty - a gas may be fine for you. diesels are more expensive to purchase- however they hold their resale value much more. i've switched back over to almost all diesels now and only bought one new gas because it was a hell of a deal, and that truck does fine plowing and hauling my snowblowers in the back. As soon as you put one of our trailers behind it, forget it I would rather unhook it, go back to the shop and get my duramax.

13. JCark

JCark Member

Interesting I get much better mileage with my diesel plowing than I did with my gasser, of course the gasser I had was a 5.4 in a HUGE truck so that could be why...

14. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Every diesel I have had uses less fuel plowing then all the gas trucks we have had, for plowing and towing I think the diesel is worth every cent more that it costs you to purchase

15. Yamaha0219

Yamaha0219 Junior Member

Why get a v8 gasser? Get a v10!

16. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

What is the mileage like on a v10? It seems to me a v10 truck is always cheaper to buy than a v8

17. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

worse then a V8, and not that much more power when compared.

18. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I concur 100%.There is no question--any diesel properly running will do much better on fuel useage compared to a gasser anyday.Once you go diesel,AND know how to properly maintain one,.especially during cold weather,you will never want to go back to gas if you are comparing them for heavy duty use such as plowing.

19. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Huh? What V10 are you comparing to what V8? When I was looking for a truck- mainly Superduties, I drove both the 5.4 and the 6.8 V10's. My favorite was a 3Valve 6.8 V10- it had a lot of power, plenty of torque, and was easily much more powerful/fast than the 5.4. Even the 2valve V10 that I almost bought (King ranch Crew Cab 2004), had a ton of power.

Fuel economy seems to be about 2-3mpg's less than the V8 all around, but towing or unloaded doesn't seem to make much difference in MPG's on the V10, as the V8 starts to drink it down when hooked up.

Personally, get the V10 if you're getting a gasser. I wish I had pulled the trigger when I had the opportunity.

20. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

Thats an interesting statement, I burn A LOT of fuel with my 6 liter and I'm not even plowing with it!

I've never plowed with a diesel personally, we've had great luck with our Ford V10's, the power is great, fuel consumption is so so while plowing and pretty awful while towing (4-6mpg).