1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel or Gas Power wagon? help me.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by KPZ Enterprises, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KPZ Enterprises

KPZ Enterprises Member

I need to get a new truck and i was looking to get either a 06 dodge 2500 diesel with 30k miles or a 09 Powerwagon with 18k miles on it, they both cost the same 35k but cant decide which one to get. I tow a 16ft landscape trailer and a 12ft dump trailer during the summer and plow during the winter, so which one is best?

2. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I will never own anything but a diesel again. 35K sounds high to me for an 06 with 30K miles. I didn't give that for my 07 mega cab brand new. I know there are a lot of options, but even loaded it sounds high.

3. KPZ Enterprises

KPZ Enterprises Member

thnx 4 the reply, im still up in the air about it but it might come down to whatever i can get the best deal on and were in the beging of the price battle between the dealer now. lol

4. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

go with the diesel! but look around because that is way to much money check theprices on ebay

5. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

yep tony paid 35k for his 06 with 40k on the clock and his truck was in perfect shape.

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think you can put a plow on a Powerwagon because of the winch. I could be wrong but that's what I was told when I was shopping for new trucks last year.

Also, the PW gets next to nothing for mileage. They're definitely a work horse but if I were you I'd go with the diesel.

7. KPZ Enterprises

KPZ Enterprises Member

we will see about the winch since my neighbor up the street jst bought an 2010 wagon , were putting it on tomaro so ill let u guys know, at this point im leaning toward the diesel.

8. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

go to the dodge pic and vidoe thread rhford has a plow one on his and it looks sweet. page 3 i beleive

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

power wagon for the win plowin. factory selectable lockers . and thay can be slightly modifyed for plow and winch use.

10. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

I am about to buy a 2007 6.7 Cummins.... THAT BEING SAID! wait for my explanation!

I just drove a 2010 Power Wagon while going over my future fleet at the dodge dealership... That thing was tuned OHHH SOOO SWEEEETT :nod: It got the same fuel mileage as my FX4 2010 F250 XL (about 10mpg or so). It was the sweetest gasser ride and I would have guessed it was a quiet diesel by the power. With the maintenance costs and EPA stuff in the future, you may be better off with this vehicle over a diesel.

If you are going to be hauling SS and Backhoes and roll offs like my new truck will, then you will want a diesel for the torque numbers and better fuel economy.

The 5.9 2500 and the powerwagon are very close in quality... it is a tough choice, but if you are not hauling trailers over 14K GVWR consistently then you will want to go with the powerwagon. That truck is awesome and you can let those trail boys make fun of your gasser, cause it will probably beat up on some of those diesels. It is the cream of the crop plow truck. I do not recall the one I drove having the winch sticking out or under the front. i thought it was built into the bumper but that might change from year to year... idk....

Most municipalities are moving away from small diesel vehicles and will be replacing them with the V10 and tuned V8's in the near future (due to emissions crap now).

If you really want to spend dough the right way, wait until august and get an International TerraStar with the newer NaviStar Diesel. i hear they are getting away without regen. or DEF systems.... they have something in the makes for it.... won't be out in 4x4 til august though!!! great truck for this though!!!!

In the end it is your decision but I was impressed with the powerwagon (and I always hated the hemi in a truck and ditched it for vortec.... it changed my mind!)

11. KPZ Enterprises

KPZ Enterprises Member

for the majority of the time i am jst towing 2 xmarks and one walk behind, but there is the occasional times were i will be towing a skidder (maybe once a month) and in the near future i plan on buying a dump truck as well. i test drove the power wagon today and it had a lot more power than my 03 silverado hd, so i was also very impressed by the hemi and thats y im keeping it as an option.

12. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The PW axle ratio is 4:56 whereas your Chevy is probably a 3:73 or maybe 4:10 and that's why you felt such a difference in power.

13. KPZ Enterprises

KPZ Enterprises Member

the chevys got 4:10 in the back, but even so it the the pw was sweet. lol

14. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

If you are planning on buying a fleet then I suggest trying to make the components the same on everything.

Mowers use as many of the same parts - blades, spindles, belts. Same goes for trucks. Get the same power train in each vehicle. It allows you to service them at the same place or get used to doing it yourself (easy to train newbs too). Use the same wheel/tire size so that you can buy in bulk. Use the same fuel so that some Dumb @$$ doesn't put gas in your diesel.... use the same plow manufacturer and stock parts.

It is called streamlining your maintenance. if you want to grow into a landscape business like those big guys out there (pro turf and such) you need to know more about managing the crews and equipment than doing the landscaping to be totally honest. Most business plans fail because there is not enough R&D put into the management techniques used.

Part of my plan was to switch to all diesel vehicles because of the types of stuff I plan on hauling and getting into. I chose the Cummins diesel because it was very reliable and their update was readily available on the used market. I went to the dealer and got prices on five brand new 2010-2011 Cummins quad cabs. Before I invested 120K into trucks I decided that I would get a used 6.7L with the same options. I researched and spoke to the diesel tech at my local dealer and decided on this 07 drw 3500 with the same engine/tranny. So I invested under 30K into the vehicle and will feel it out for the next two years. and try to decide if the investment is worth it. Then I can drop dough into the vehicle. I don't have them yet and I already know where to do my diesel fuel stops, what parts to stock, what codes commonly flash, and how quick and where I can get service done. Now I just am going to try it small scale.

I did the same with mowers and am in the process of doing the same with plows. Streamlining your business is very important. I always suggest just starting. Go out non-streamlined and learn what you would change. Save up some money and then drop it on the right stuff. Smart buying, and testing the waters will help you make many important management decisions. Start small scale and work up. If it doesn't work for you and a buddy on a truck, then how will you motivate people to work for a fraction of the cost and get a good return. Remember the principle of diminishing return.

That is about all of the advice I can give you... the rest is up to you...

15. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

Dude you are gonna get **** MPG's just get a diesel and stop ***** putting around. Only good thing about the wagon is the lockers... my truck is built like the wagon 4.56 detroit locker in the rear and truetrac in the front.

16. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Esso and Sunoco will love your new Power wagon !!!!

It comes to making the right choice when buying a piece of equipment. Dollar to dollar anyone who does alot of towing and or driving the diesel truck is the only way to go. The PW would make a great toy / Sunday driver.

17. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Yeah those Power Wagons got 4:56 rear end. You MPG will be like 6-8 if yo are towing anything. I would buy a diesel

18. trevier

trevier Senior Member

I would love to drive a power wagon, there isn't one dealer up in NH that has one in stock, they all say the same thing, it's all about the MPG, who cares, let me worry about that, would love to at least test drive one though,

19. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

It also couldve been that the HEMI has 390HP to the chevy's 320HP.

20. KPZ Enterprises

KPZ Enterprises Member

lol ya that could have it it too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.