1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel or Gas? help me decide!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Workaholic, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

hi, this is my first post and i am really happy i found this site, i have a feeling its going to help me out allot. Anyways i am 15 and currently have 17 lawns i cut and i have recently purchase ALL new equipment including rider, push and trimmers etc. I also work for a company as a side walk boy in the winter and push driveways with my atv locally. I will be buying my first truck (for personal and business use) and will be registering my business and also buying a 72" mower n snow blade.

MY QUESTION IS:
    I am looking at 95-98 GM z71/4x4's and am debating between 5.7 or the 6.5 diesel.
    I'll be using it to tow a 16' enclosed hallmark full of lawn/landscaping equipment quite often and I will be pushing snow in the winter. I will also be driving it to school everyday (sometimes with the trailer to get a quiker start).

What would be my best bet.. as far a fuel miliage pulling power and what would be best for my 3 needs (pull push dailydriver)

Thanks for the advice

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I love chevy's but the pre duramax diesels are JUNK. The 350 always has been a good strong motor. I have to include my disclaimer tho as to not start a debating war. This is in my opinion only. There now I'm safe. :cool:

3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

WORK..........If your gonna buy used.... a gasser is your best bet !

Fellas with used diesels want the sky..... aka BIG $$$ for them and Blade
    is right the 6.5 has its problems also.

Save the headaches and shop time. Have ANY used rig inspected carefully
    at a auto shop you know and trust. Worth the few bucks it will cost.
    Esp. the intake manifold gasket on the 5.7 OBS trucks.
    Avoid a truck that has been pre-plowed or heavy towed.........

Don't rush and buy the first pretty face (truck) you find......... :rolleyes:

Good luck and keep us posted................geo................ :drinkup:

4. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

the 6.5 turbo is junk. to replace will cost you around 8,000. go with gas

5. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

He'sdefinitely right. I owned some of that 6.5 diesel junk. Go for the gas.

6. I'm sure some have loved there 6.5s but many love there gassers! You can replace a gasser 2-3x before you incure the cost of replacing a 6.5.

To sum it up, diesels are great...BUT..IF you have problems, you got BIG problems.