1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel or Gas for a new plow truck?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bignatewilson, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Buy the diesel if you can afford it and if it's your daily driver. JMO

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I agree, my personal powerstroke just hit 480,000 kms. Previous gassers crapped out at 220 k or so.

3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

This is the key !

If you can AFFORD the EXTRA cost's associated with a diesel by all means go for it. Just don't BS yourself into a truck you cant afford thinking you will save money. The only gain to a diesel Pickup truck now is the enjoyment from one. IMO they plow nicer, tow nicer, and are fun when you stomp on it. Other then that, the only advantages go to the Oil company's and the finance company's in higher priced everything....

A friend of mine just BSed himself into an 08 Isuzu Crew cab Chebie. Payments are now $750 a month (His gasser was $450). He gets 4 miles to the gallon better towing over his 6.0, and it is costing him an extra 10% MORE on his average monthly fuel bill with the diesel truck.
    He likes the new truck, but realizes now it was not a good move financially for his small construction company. I warned him, but he listened to the dealers BS that he would save a fortune on fuel.

4. AL THE MAN

AL THE MAN Member
    from Chicago

Anyone got anything to say about the Ram Cummins diesel motors.....I heard that you have to replace the fuel filter every 15K,and that the oil change interval is 7,500 miles

.... is it an arm and a leg to keep em goin?
    Im debating about goin diesel or gas. (used)

5. AL THE MAN

AL THE MAN Member
    from Chicago

6. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I have had a few Dodge trucks with the Cummins. Currently I have an 05 with 65,000 miles.
    I plow a lot of snow and spread a lot of salt. I get 24-26 mpg highway and anywhere from 19-22mpg in the city. I have added an afe air intake and I have added the Edge Juice w/attitude and what a difference it has made. Well worth the $$$ for them.
    The one big problem with the Dodge is the trans. If you get automatic trans. BUY the extended warranty. Mine is is for a complete transmission right now, Repair cost to Chrysler $8,560.00 my cost $100.00 deductable. Thank GOD I bought the extended warranty. I will buy a Dodge again and it will be diesel.:blush2:

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

480K!!! . What year is it?

8. AL THE MAN

AL THE MAN Member
    from Chicago

9. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

these things always get so ugly so quick, i have both ends of both kinds of trucks. half ton gassers and diesels. one ton gassers and diesels. at the end of the night of plowing ill use a half tank in my diesel to one and a half tanks in my gasser. 50.00 vs 110.00 last years prices on fuel. it seems to me the reason the diesel uses less fuel is it pushes its weight around with more power. it has more of idle power than the gas jobs. you dont have to put your foot in it as much to really push the snow. im not telling youthat with the fuel savings youll be able to buy a brand new truck but they are there. i had a 98 3500 with 30k that had a 454 fi in it. the money i spent on that thing in fuel a month is my payment on my 06 gmc 2500 hd diesel with all options. heres another thing to look at. how long do you plan on plowing for? does the truck have other uses?
    having one truck that hasent broke down on me yet ( knock on wood ) also being my new diesel was a life saver. dump truck went down, filled up the bed of my truck. buddy plow truck went down, plowed him out with new diesel.
    i have older diesels that do break down. alot. a 6.2L with 88k on it now needs head gaskets. take it for what you will. when i go to add another truck to my fleet it will be a brand new diesel. beacuse my truck work, and they need to keep working so that i can work. that why i buy diesels and that why i will keep on buying diesels.payup

im sure now someone else will come on here and bash chevys, tell you there dodge get 30mpg while plowing and never broke down because its a cummins.

10. Collision

Collision Junior Member

I know this is a dead old thread (almost ten years old) but all id like to say is i Guarantee the ford diesels will go into the 300 thousand mile range. My ford has 321k and never had the heads off. Plus, the 6.4 gets like 18 mpg highway while the 6.2 gets 11mpg, its a no brainer to go with diesel.

11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Veteran

I would not make guarantees on a ford... o_O

Need I say more than ford 6.0?

FredG likes this.
  12. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Well with this revival, I give it two days.

13. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Is that a guarantee?:D

Philbilly2 likes this.
  14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

No

Shoot, my brother in law had a Furd 6.7 with 11k on it that seized up.

The only reason the 6.4 looks better is because the 6.0 was a flaming piece of crap.

Any engine can go bad, there are no guarantees.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Philbilly2 and FredG like this.
  15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Get what Ya want.
    No , it wount
    Yes, it will.

Buy one or 2 of each.

16. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

I prefer good old tried and true 1H.P

17. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

So is this the next step when the Meyer throws up again?

Dogplow Dodge, FredG and Mark Oomkes like this.
  18. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Probably more reliable! I went to get gas after not driving the truck for a day or two. Plow went up fine went to the gas station and then the plow wouldn't move. Just sat in the truck for a minute. Ended up just being loose plugs, but man was I pissed when I thought something else went wrong! Thought for sure it was frozen and I couldn't figure out how on a new pump water got in.

19. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

LOL Would probably work a little better if they had a heavy weight on the plow.

20. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I'll say it again, We will all be pushing daises before anybody comes to agree on this. I like Diesel just cuz I like them and can have one. Not that I need it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.