1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel, Oil for winter ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Tom Smith, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

Hello all.... I have a 04 F-350 w/ 6.0 Diesel..... what type of oil should i use for the winter.... over the summer i have been using 15W-40 Rotella ..... what do i use for the winter months .. 10W-30 ?? Should i use Mobile one or Shell brand... does it matter ?? Do any of you put in synthetic oil in your diesel? I was thinking of using a synthetic but that could get pricey to do that, is it necessary? Also should i add an addiative to my diesel fuel just to be safe in the winter months? thanks :drinkup:

2. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

i use rotella 15-40 they say the cold pour point is only a 4 degree difference.if you can find 10-30 rotella then buy it if not the 15-40 is good .i feel its better to change your regular oil at 3000 miles than use synthetic oil and change it at 5000 miles. when the temps get below 25 degrees go to wally world and buy the fuel anti gell it's cheaper there. i have never had a truck gell up yet. don't forget where you are the service station have to put stuff in it or it would freeze up in the pump .

3. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Use oils that are API service rated CI-4. You should use Motorcraft Super Duty 15W-40 or 10W-30 only if it meets Ford specification WSS-M2C171-D.

Conventional Lubricants: Penzoil Long-Life 10W-30, 15W40 * Shell Rotella-T 15W40 * Chevron Delo 400 15W40, 10W30 *Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 * Valvoline All-Fleet Extra and Plus 15W-40 * Valvoline/Cummins Premium Blue 15W40 * Union 76 Guardol QLT 15W40 * Union 76 T5X Heavy Duty 15W-40 * Kendall Super-D 3 15W40, 10W30 * Quaker State FCI HDX Plus 15W40 * Exxon XD-3 Extra 15W40 * Phillips 66 Super HD II 15W-40 * Conoco HD Fleet Supreme 15W-40, 10W-30 * Citgo Mystik Premium Fleet 15W-40 * Citgo Mystik JT-8 15W-40, 15W-50, 10W-30

Courtesy of Dieselman.

Just my .02¢
    Rick

4. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

Is regular pensoil or say mobile one 10W-30 for gass vehicles different from the 10W-30 i would need to put in my diesel ?

5. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Ford recommends 10w-30 for the cold weather.
    I read somewhere that they actually ship them from the dealer with 10W-30 installed.

You can not use regular oil in a diesel, because the diesel rated oils have additives in place to keep the soot from clumping together and causing damage.

Make sure that your oil has an api rating for S (spark Ignition) and C (combustion Ignition).

Check out your owners manual and also do a little research online about oil for diesel.
    This web page might help.
    http://www.rotella.com/application/diesel.html

6. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Since this is the Ford section I will assume most diesels are Powerstrokes, either 7.3, or 6.0. In this case Mobil one is not a recomended synthetic oil for any diesel engine with HEUI injectors. This includes several Cat HEUI engines as well as the Powerstrokes. This is per Mobil, they recomend Mobil Delvac 1 as the Synthetic oil For these engines. Mobil 1 can be used in the Ford IDI diesels. I run Delvac 1 in my truck and I am very happy. In the winter it cranks over just as fast without the block heater and Delvac 1 as it used to with the block heater and dyno oil.

7. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

Tom, I live in your area.I just picked up rotella 10W30 from menards of all places for $6.00 a gallon for my 6.0 diesel.If you don't leave town and have access to pluging it in the 15W40 will work fine.I switch to 10W30(if I can find it)or 5W40 synthetic because I also go way north snowmobiling and can't always get to a plug for the block heater.Also power sevice makes a good anti-gell fuel conditioner.Get the stuff in the white bottles.I use it only when it gets real cold around here and every time when I go up north because you never know what kind of fuel your going to get!

8. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

It would probaly be wise to use 10w30 if you can find it just in case you cannot plug it in sometime even if you normally do.

9. kit

kit Junior Member

The first number is the pour point and the lower the number the better it will start in the cold wheater.In the winter I use a 0w40 from Esso and I haven't plug it in since the day I got it .Just make sure it is rated for diesel engine

10. Tarkus

I take it that this is Synthetic. What does it cost you?

11. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I won't tell you what oil to use. I WILL tell you that I use Delvac 15W40 year round and I have over 200K on my 7.3 PSD. Sometimes I use Shell Rotella but always stay with the 15W40. No problems. No hesitation on startup even in cold weather.

12. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

the majority of people never switch.but you need the relize we are talking about the 6.0 which seems to be more finicky about oil than the 7.3 is.

13. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

The 6.0's are very temperamental when it comes to the type/viscosity of the oil. The API rating is a very important issue. A CI-4 rating is recommended, but actually a CI-4 Plus is the newest one out. Just make sure that when you fill the crankcase back up, that you keep the oil level in the middle of add and full on the dipstick.

Rick

14. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I had not heard that one before.
    What's the reason for not filling it to the full mark?
    And also should I be doing that on my 2001 7.3?

Just wondering.

15. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Mebes -

No, just applies to the 6.0 diesel. Some owners are dropping the level as a fix for rough/rolling/surging idle/running conditions.

Rick

16. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

17. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

ZamboniHDB... Thanks for the info.

oldmankent... This is what I scanned right out of my owners manual.

2picture.jpg

18. Tarkus

Good job Mebes. There is no perfect oil for all temps and if temps get to and below zero a lot with a diesel you need to have a lighter oil in it if you want it to be able to start more reliably with no heat.

19. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

can i use ROTELLA T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 for the 6.0 Ford Power Stroke. Thats the only synthetic i can find

20. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Hello Tom, coincidentally I was in Geneva last night for the X-mas walk. I realize this may be a little bit of a drive for you but you can get Delvac 1 in Huntley,and in Sycamore @ Farm and Fleet. You might try the New Holland dealer just north of North Av.(rt.64) on Randall Rd. You can also try the truck stops at the Hampshire I90 exit. Buck Bros. John Deere at 47/72/20. or as a last resort look in the yellow pages under oil distributors. But to answer your question I would go by the API rating. I do not personally know of anybody who is using that oil in a PSD. Probably because it is not a true synhetic, but a synth/blend.
    Good luck Gregg