1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel oil change

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jhook, Nov 13, 2006.

1. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I just got my first diesel pickup - a 1997 2500 6.5L w 300,000 kms (180,000 miles) on it. Will be using it for plowing of course - how often should I be changing the engine oil in this unit?
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Every 3,000 miles if you want it to last, remember oil is the life blood of youe engine.
  3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

change mine between 3k - 5k miles
  4. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Ok, thanks, someone was trying to tell me the other day that I didn't have to change it as often as I do with the gas engines so I htought I better check that out. Will keep it on the same schedule. Thanks.
  5. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

good oil filter ( dont go cheap on them ) and rotella 15w-40 every 3k - 5k is the way to go
  6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I use Rotella T 15W-40 w/ a good filter every 4,000 miles.
  7. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I use Amsoil 15W-40 Synthetic Diesel and Marine Oil in mine with an Amsoil filter. Unbelievable stuff. You can start by changing it right away if you just bought it!
  8. TEX

TEX Senior Member

didnt know there was a 15W40 syn thought the syn were 5W40? but 4000 miles is good if your working the motor.
  9. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

You mean the Amsoil? For diesels they have a 5W-30, a 5W-40, a 15W-40, and a 10W-30, all in synthetic.
  10. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

My 01 has the oil monitor system, it comes on at about 5-7K miles. I use Rotella T full synthetic 5W40 in winter. Full oil pressure in less then half the time for cold starts.

11. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Lots of good points here, I am glad I asked. Thanks. :nod:
  12. Ripple

Ripple Member

I agree and even tho its a diesel>>> for a couple extra bucks...just change the oil more often!

I have a GMC with the 6.2L and it was changed every 3500 miles before I got it!
  13. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

ford recomends every 5000 miles or every 200 hours. the local quick lube recomends the same. 10,000 miles on an over the road truck.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  14. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

@ 3.5 GALLONS per change for mine, it's more than a "couple" bucks every 3K - but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

Don't forget to drain the water separator at least once a week, and change fuel filter more often than at recommended interval - mine is always filthy @ 20K even though recommended interval is 40K.

If turbo'd, change air filter at each oil change - restriction gauges are notoriously faulty. Also, with liquid deicers coming into common use, you may not be able to depend on visual inspection. That air filter may look OK and still be plugged up.

A well designed, properly maintained diesel engine will outlast your chassis - let alone the body!

'Course all bets may be off with this "ultra low sulfur" fuel. What doe's sulfur do for diesels?

BTW - the 6.5 GM diesel may lack power, but CDOT has some in 1 tons pushing 400K (miles, not kilometers). CDOT changes oil on the 6.5 @ 1500 miles due to excessive idling while crew is repairing roadside facilities. In normal use 3K should be fine.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  15. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Surprised no one actually answred the question correctly. On any vehicle U change ur conventional oil when It gets dirty, 3,000 miles, or 3 months wich ever of them comes first. On my diesel I change it about ever 2500 because i tend to do a bit of short trips with it so it starts to get fairly dirty sooner then the normal recomended 3,000. Same goes for synthetics absolutely stupid to leave it in there when it is dirty. the fuel brakes down the oils properties. If u drive the vehicle every day say 100 to 200 miles the oil will stay clean for a very long time that where synthetic oil are good because they dont break down as soon as conventional oil. So if it is clean u can leave it in longer. But most make the mistake of leaving contaminated oil in to long cause beacuse of going just by the mildege and not bothering to ck the stick. Change it when its dirty and it will run for ever I know it is expensive for a diesel. :drinkup:
  16. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Change the oil every 3 to 4 k. Use good oil, and stick to one brand.