1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

diesel oil change question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gslam88, Jan 22, 2003.

1. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

I have a question, I changed my oil yesterday and noticed that the oil was dirty... change it every 4k or so... but my question is ... I know depending on the manual you read and driving conditions you should change the oil from 2,500 to say 5,000 miles of driving, but with the way this winter is going and how cold it is ( I got up this morning to 2 degrees...bbbrrrrrr frickin brrrrrrrrrr) with the ideling time increased how does that affect the oil changing time frame.... change it every 4 to 6 weeks if I idel say 30 mintues to an hour a day and that come out to 10 to 20 hours additionally based on only 5 days per week in time frame?

Also has anyone heard things about fram oil filters that they should nont be used anymore because they have gone down the tube in quality??

Pete :confused:
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Don't get me started on Fram filters,especially on a diesel.Don't even try one.I would use a GM or wix filter,or check out one of those GM diesel pages and see what most guys prefer.

Don't worry about the oil being dirty,most diesel oil is.It doesn't hurt to change it more often,especially if your idling a lot in cold weather.I don't go by mileage,I go by hours.100 hours and it gets changed.We have hr meters on all our trucks.This is mostly due to the fact the plow trucks don't see many miles,but a heck of a lot of hours.

I would go 2500 Miles this time of year.Only go higher if your doing a lot of highway driving.Short trips,idling and plowing are tough on the oil.If in doubt,get an oil analysis done,that will tell you the best drain intervals for your truck.A bypass filter is also an option to keep the oil cleaner longer,and extend drain intervals.Make sure your using a good quality,diesel rated oil too.

If your going to idle a lot with a diesel,consider some kind of high idle device.Idling at low RPM's doesn't build enough heat in the cyl's to burn the fuel properly,which can wash the cyl's down,dilute the oil,and gum things up.You don't have to go sky high,1300-1500 RPM will do it.I'm not sure in your application but there may be a plug in device which does it electronically.If not,you can make a manual one from a PTO cable,much like the big trucks have,or use a piece of wood stuck between the seat and gas pedal.Whatever works.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2003
  3. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

ok, i'll be the idiot that asks the question "what's wrong with fram filters?" espically diesels? I have never heard anything bad about them really and just wanted to know. WHat kind of air filters do you guys use in your truck?
  4. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

Mulch too many issues to list with fram some lack internal features the o.e. had , I personally use motorcraft oil filters for my fors psd and would recomend ac delco for g.m. like Chris said wix makes decent filters .
    Air filters once again the only air filters my trucks use are k@n the reason is one they do flow better but the biggest reason is i can clean and reoil them which helps keep cost down on maint

and last i too run hour meters in my trucks my 00 SD has 20,500 miles on it it plows all commerical 8hr run for that truck is only about 65 miles so think about it way more hours then miles,
    maybe one last suggestion has well on the line of maint fuel filter replacment and fuel additive i use power service on every take in the winter nothing sucks worse than a gelled up diesel .

p.s if you want to use fram cause of that cool black grip coating take a good bran oil filter and dip the end in tool coat and you will have the same results
  5. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

im curious, what problems are you guys having with fram filters?

i have been using them for years, with no trouble.
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

fram filters are not worth the potential problems,do yourself a big favor and do not use them anymore.Almost all the Cummins 5.9 failures in dodge pickups are traced to Fram,or other inferior filters.The media breaks,tears and comes apart on them,the small pieces get in the oil,and clog up parts,in the Cummins they plug the piston cooling jets,then the next time the owner is on a hard pull usually with a trailer, they melt a hole in a piston.Fram is not honoring their warranty on these filters,often passing the buck,and denying the claim,which is up to 6-10000 bucks with a Cummins.Dont take a chance with cheap filters,buy a quality filter.I use Fleetguard in my Cummins,exclusively,they are a subsidary of Cummins,if the filter goes,its there filter and engine,and I expect them to pay for the repair if its lubrication related. I also sample my oil regularly to keep tabs on the condition of the engine/oil,This is theb est way to determine oil change intervals. Id buy Wix.Napa gold,Mobil 1,and putolaotr filters.I use Wix in everything I own other than the Cummins.I have link get wix filters at great prices,if anyone wants it PM,since we are not allowed to post links to other sites here.I buy 700 worth of filters a yr from these guys,they deliver fast,and prices are great
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

8. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

I just ordered a K&N air filter for my truck the other day so i should have it by next week. I got it mainly for the overall cost savings and hoped to get better airflow. I have often wondered about Fram filters b/c they are so common and said to be good, atleast what i have always heard. Often seemed too good to be true. I was just in Autozone (don't get me started on those guys...lol) anyways they only stock stp and fram. Maybe next time i'll try stp and see how they are.
  9. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I buy the A/C delco from AutoZone, 1218, or a Wix. Napa is also a good place to get them as I heard Wix makes their filters.
  10. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

wyldman, you beat me to it.

"Read the study here:

http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html "

I have been sending people to that link for 3 years!

Really makes you wonder, huh? I'm just glad someone took the time to tear them all apart and analyze them. ALL equipment I service gets WIX if available.

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

It does make you wonder,you never know what your getting.

I've always found a quick way to tell a decent filter is by weight.I know it's no scientific test,but it a good indication of what's inside.

I use Fram at the shop on our customer vehicles,due to the fact that's what the customer wants,and asks for.They are also very cheap,and it helps margins on oil changes.It's amazing what a good advertising campaign will do.I have never had an engine related failure due to a Fram,but I have cut a few open,and I was very disappointed.

What's really scary is any of the filter manufactures,especially the ones who subcontract their filter construction,could change at any time,and end up like the Fram's