1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel No Good For Plowing??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by truszip, Nov 11, 2003.

1. truszip

truszip Junior Member

While I was looking through the Boss Plow "choosing a plow" web site, they indicated that Ford doesn't recommend the powerstroke diesel for plowing? What up with that?? Mines a 97 F350 anybody have any thoughts as to why?? Thanks.

WOOFSPLOW Member

A friend of mine has a '96 and plowed roads and some drives with it last year. He never had a problem - until he went off the road and hit a tree!:rolleyes:

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

The biggest reason for this is the front end weight issue. Ford says that any plow with a diesel will overload the front end, maybe so but our F350 diesels have done fine EXAMPLE 1 Example 2
  4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I have been plowing with my diesel for years now and have NEVER had a problem. The front end sagging due to the extra weight of the diesel engine can be remedied by adding Timbrens or air bags. Otherwise, the power and torque simply can't be beat.:D
  5. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

Throw a plow on the truck, don't worry about it. My father has a 96 F-350 PSD with about 110,000 miles and a 8.5' Western that he had installed just a couple days after he bought it. The only problem that he has had with the frontend or the truck for that matter, was with the auto locking hubs, but now it has Superwinch manuals on it so problem solved. I also have a 97 F-350 but mine had a 460 so I have a little less weight, I had the same problem with the auto hubs so I am running manuals too. Good luck with the truck!
  6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Never had any problems with mine. I've got a bunch of Banks goodies on my diesel. Plenty of umphhh!:waving:
  7. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

Go for it. I have had 2 1996s and now run a 2003 Stroke. I now a lot of guys running these truck. In fact that's about all any of us run here.

96 f-350 with plowsmall.jpg
  8. Heron Cove PM

9. Heron Cove PM

10. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Ford claims that mounting a plow on any diesel other than a regular cad will void thier warranty, due to the weight issue. I know some guys who put plows on diesel extra cab and super cabs, and have talked their service guys into not voiding the warranty. Not a problem with putting a plow on a diesel, you just might want to add a little extra in the front for the weight.

11. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

This might sound silly but if Ford did not want you plowing with any of their trucks WHY would they offer the factory snow plow package standard with any of the 4x4 diesel trucks??

I just bought a F-450 XLT 4x4 6.0 PSD and the snow plow package was included. the front axel is rated for 6,500 lbs. I thing the heavy duty leaf springs and the soild axel can handle the 800lbs the plow weighs. and just for kicks I added Timbren load boosters front and rear. Now if there is some void to the warranty if I plow with it that will be too funny.

That is like seeling a F-450 Cab and chasis and telling you once you put the dump body on there the warranty is no good.

Maybe BOSS has a bad hook up for the Fords. Western had no problem hooking up to my truck.
  12. Heron Cove PM

Because the 450 comes with a 6500 lb front end STANDARD. The 250 and 350 DIESELS DON'T. The plow prep package is NOT STANDARD on the 250, or 350 DIESEL. You kind of answered your own question. If you order a GAS 250, 350 with a plow prep package you will get the heavier springs.
  13. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

Heron Cove PM How do your Fords handle the weight of the sanders you have mounted on them? I just mounted a sander on my F350 and havn't had the opportunity to even put sand in it. How many yards can you put in yours? I have put a set on Timbrens on the rear and I am hoping this will be enough. The sander is rated for 1.9 yards. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Nice looking equipment.......
  14. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

The sander weighs 800 pounds without material. Add another 2000-3000 pounds for material and you are now hauling 3000-4000 pounds, well within the operating range of these trucks.

As far as the engine goes... Whenever you see an International powered school bus going down the road or a fed-ex truck or an F-450 or F-550 running around, they all have the same engine you do. It is an International T444E engine. The transmissions are a bit different in the school busses but other than that the engines are built to work. I am kinda sad that Ford changed to the 6 liter. I guess you can't stand in the way of change.
  15. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

I just came from the ford dealer in town, and they had a F-350 reg cab diesel with an 8' western blade on it can the new 6.0 carry a blade?

16. plowwannab2003

plowwannab2003 Member

I read somewhere that the diesels have to much torque and can bend the frame when plowing. I have plowed with my uncle and he has two 1996 F-350 Power Stroke Dumps with 8 ft fisher MM plows and has never had a problem with them plowing. so i say go for it i see a lot of guys with diesels with plows.:nod:
  17. Heron Cove PM

First we load them to the gills. We have had all of them beefed up in the rear. We added 1 spring to the main pack and 1 to the overload. This seems to work just right. I want to say they hold the same as yours. We have considered about adding some sort of side board kit to the unit its self. But... then sometimes we think that may be too much weight.
  18. Fordtech

Fordtech Junior Member
    from LI.NY

You can bend the frame on anything if you push hard enough.
    I have a biased opinion of this but a Ford is the only truck to own and if it has a Diesel is even better.
    Go ahead and get the plow and a set of timberns and get to plowing along with the rest of the 8 million other ford truck owners. payup
  19. pines

pines Junior Member

I own a 2002 f350 power stroke diesel crew cab with an 8' bed. Any problems with a plow here? I have had dealers say that they won't even touch the truck ......as far as putting a plow on is concerned.
  20. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare Member

My 2003 f350 super cab with 6.5 bed (6.0 liter) has snow plow prep, you can get snow plow prep with the 250,350 style trucks as long as you have the 6.5 beds. The extended cab with the full size beds (8 foot) is where you are going to be screwed.

internet pictures 040.jpg