1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel MPG

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowman91, Feb 9, 2011.

1. looking into getting a diesel. not exactly sure what truck but definatly a quad cab.just curious as to what kind of fuel mileage the desiel guys are getting
  2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

That's a loaded question.Short and sweet figure 16MPG as an average figure,highway driving.
  3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I can pull 18 MPG out of my '99 F350 with 37" tires if I drive it with an egg under the pedal on the highwway. Usually see about a 14 MPH average mixed around town and highway in the summer.
  4. Ewsa

Ewsa Junior Member
    from CT

Better milage than a gasser.
  5. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

18 empty around town, 20 highway empty. 16-18 loaded (11k gross total, which is a gooseneck trailer with car on trailer). Custom built truck but essentially its a 92 Dodge 1 ton, intercooled Cummins Turbo, Automatic overdrive, 3.07 axle gears. If you want good fuel milage opt for 3.73 or 3.54 gears. 4.10 gears are harder on fuel, and with a Cummins engine you will not like 4.10's, it keeps the engine revved out of its torque curve going down the road.

With newer trucks yes 16 is a good average figure to expect I'd say. They have done wonders in improving stock power output, and also the emissions are sooo much different these days, but all of that only costs more fuel economy. They don't make em like they used to... Sometimes good sometimes bad...
  6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

This. Mid to high teens depending how you drive it and if you talk real sweet to it you can see low 20's on the highway.
  7. ColvinsPS

ColvinsPS Member

my dad's bone stock 250k mile 7.3 crew cab long bed f350 gets like 11 in town and 13-14 on highway. One time i got 17 on the way home from somewhere and it must have been perfect conditions because it hasn't happened again. He desperately needs an exhaust, synthetic oil, and dp tuner but he won't ever do any of that unless i do it for him.
  8. matteo30

matteo30 Member

I have an 08 350 with the 6.4 and it will get 13 on the highway with a little lucas additive
  9. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

I get about 14 in town and low 20s on the interstate going 70 mph. I have a heavy foot in town tho lol
  10. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

08 Duramax 4 door with DPF. I see 12-13 plowing, 15-16 around town and have gotten up to 19 on a highway trip.
  11. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

03 F250 6.0L 125K With Edge juice and diesel additive. 10 plowing with 1 ton of salt. 13 around town carrying about a ton. 14 around town empty. 15.5 on highway at 80 to 90. all these are me driving like I do with a very heavy foot. I can get 18 on highway with cruise control on between 65 and 75. Look at the turbo boost. the lower the boost reading, the better the mileage.
    This is always better then my gasser witch is the same truck with 5.4L It gets about 30% less millage whatever I do. I like plowing with the gas truck better. It's alot more responsive when it comes time to drop the blade in a lot to be plowed. The diesel is better in every other situation.
  12. dm5.9

dm5.9 Member

I have a 2500 ram, i get about 17-19 highway ive had a high of 22 though, and about 16 around town and about 6-10 plowing in 4wd all night with lots of backing up
  13. bsharp704

bsharp704 Member
    from Grant

I am getting around 15 city and 18-20 highway. The other night I checked it why plowing during the Feb. 2 storm. Plowed 16 hours in the city with both plows being used (9-2 V plow and 14' Ebling backblade) and went through one tank. It avereaged out according to the computer at 10.2 mpg. I thought that was great for plowing, considering the snow and the plows. Can not beat the Cummins, tons of torque and heavy enough to hold its own while plowing.
  14. bsharp704

bsharp704 Member
    from Grant

Ouch that has to hurt the wallet at the pump.
  15. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

2008 F450 4x4 dump, in the summer when it was brand new the best I ever saw was 9.4 mpg. Now plowing with a sander 7.0 Of course this is what the dash reads, but its prolly close.
    2006 F250 6.0, programmer, 35's, I checked last storm I put 120 miles and burned 25 gallons of diesel. Ya pretty bad, but this was basically all pushing snow, short distances between lots.
    Thinking strongly about gas for the next truck.
  16. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

My ECSB gets 10-12mpg towing up to 12k lbs or when plowing heavy snow, 16-19mpg empty around town, best of 23mpg on a long trip empty, tuner cranked, fresh air/fuel filters and fresh oil change with synthetic oil. Truck also has air box mod and muffler delete.
  17. EXR

EXR Senior Member

You're truck must be tuned..I get 8-10 plowing 11-12 around town and 16 hwy. I know I'm not the only getting crappy mpg.

If I did it all over again I'd get a pre-emissions diesel. My truck has had issues already because of this crap.
  18. salvage101

salvage101 Junior Member

i do all highway driving...i got a 99 f250 with the 7.3 it has a mbrp exhaust and k&n airfilter, i will get roughly 14 mph with no load from full to empty doing all highway miles..once i load it up with the plow and a ton of salt it cuts it down a lot, hard to tell when plowing snow tho cuz im always bouncing from my truck to the skid steer so my truck also runs for 2 days straight.
  19. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

our '04 3500 DMax Dump gets 8 in the summer for lawn care and 4-5 plowing, our '00 and '99 550's - 7.3 PStrokes get 7 - 8 in summer landscaping and 3 - 4 in winter plowing.
  20. D&E

D&E Senior Member

I always calculate my mileage every fillup. 99 7.3 Extended Cab Long Bed. Straight piped and Tymar intake mod

Unloaded Highway - Highest I've seen is 22
    Loaded Highway - 17-18
    Unloaded City - Best I've seen is 17, worst is 12. Depends how you drive it
    Loaded City - Average 15
    Plowing - 10-12. I figure that's not too bad, because I really wail on it when I plow

It's not great, but it sure beats a gasser. I've gone 17 hours straight on less than 1 tank, but then again, it's a 35 gallon tank.