1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel Intake filter problems!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 04WhiteSport, Dec 7, 2008.

1. 04WhiteSport

04WhiteSport Senior Member

I just used my BOSS 7.5 poly plow on my new truck (04.5 2500 Diesel) for the first time and had some problems! First off, I was plowing some county roads near home with no problems with the blade to the Right. After an hour or so I noticed that when I try to power the Big CUMMINS up it was smoking out everything behind me! thanks SMARTY! past about 1700 rpm it had no power just SMOKE! i pulled over and found that the grill was packed with snow and so was the air filter and box. I cleaned it out and put a pizza box in front of the radiator and air intake near the headlight. Is this common with you guys? Not using a pizza box, the Snow in the filter?? is there a better way to block off the grill or to stop the snow from getting into the box?

Second..... At the end of the day on my way home, none of my power windows would work. AND my radio stopped playing. the unit still works, lights up and the SUBs still work, but only the sub box. I returned the radio today and swapped it out for a new one but its the same. This morning after the truck sat in the garage all night the windows worked again but not the Radio. I still have power to the radio and the Subs, just nothing else????? Could snow have gotten into something under the hood to make these things happen?? Anyone ever had this happen to them???

Thanks Guys!!

:yow!:

DSCN3210.jpg

2. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

What kind of intake do you have?

3. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

How fast where you going? If snow is blowing up over the blade yes its going to cake up in your grill and make its way to your intake. 2 ways to fix this 1. slow down or 2 buy a sno foil. As for the smoke thats your truck getting no air and not burning fuel correctly. Your smarty needs more air that a stock one can let in. . FYI take a baggie you get from your convience store and punch some holes in it, Then wrap it around your air filter. Now thats some smoke!!!!

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Hey Dave, how do you like the Rokktech/XZT stack?

5. BigDave12768

Its ok. Not much power difference wthout a Roktech with the ZXt on. I just wanted safe power. Plus zxt gave me the best fuel mileage. I had the triple dog and Edge. Both nice power. But Bully Dog wasnt great for fuel mileage. The edge was decent on fuel mileage and power. But I would probably end up smoking the tranny

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

So like already asked, what intake are you running? Must be aftermarket.... 5 days later and OP nowhere to be seen. Guess snow melted!

7. 04WhiteSport

Sorry, I just have the Factory box with a K&N deep cone filter.... Windows Worked the next day.... Radio is still inop! ussmileyflag

8. BigDave12768

Did you swiss cheese the air box or just drop the filter in? get a 1 inch hole saw and swiss chesse it. You will feel more power too.

9. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

Yet another good looking debadged Ram CTD.
    I'd get a ticket if I ran with front windows tinted that dark. Sure looks sharp!

10. 04WhiteSport

No i didnt cut the box.... would that help keep the snow out?

I have all the windows tinted 5% and the windshield 20% Kinda dark to plow at night! Gota roll all the windows down and pay real close attention to whats around me... But on the flip side, you can NOT see inside durring the day and I can pull up to a light and stare down the Hot chicks without feeling like a perv and looking away! Tounge her at the light and not feel hurt by the rejection of being a bald Perv. :) :yow!:

11. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

LOL... Damn Right!!

12. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

An aftermarket would probably help, sounds like snow is traveling up air inlet and collecting in the filter, here's a look at my 2 gen AFE, it sits back further in the engine bay than your's, but it's still protected pretty well.

DSC01575.jpg

DSC01577.jpg

13. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

You got your windshield tinted too? I've never even heard of that being legal anywhere. I bet that's hell at night like you mentioned.

I've got a big cone filter like Brian posted above, but it's not in any kind of box like his.... I'll have to remember to take it snow when the stuff is powdery.

14. BigDave12768

No it wont help keep the snow out. But it will allow air to come in from different places. If you put a K&N in a stock air box you not really getting all the benifits of the filter. You Air box draws air through the fender. Its opening is only about 5 inches long and 3 inchs high. So if Ice and snow is collecting on places that your filter is drawing air from you lose a bit. Swiss cheesing the air box will allow more air in and give your truck more power. You will also hear your turbo scream more. Really easy to do takes about 20 mins. 1/2 inch Hole saw and go to town.

15. JDiepstra

So to get back to the original question of the air box clogging up........ As you probably know, your air box takes in air from the fender, on the far right side of the truck. As your plow is pushing the snow off to the right, the powdery stuff is getting in through your grill and headlight, and getting sucked into the box as your turbo is sucking in as much air as it can. Drilling holes in the bottom of the box MAY help, as you are now sucking in air from more places, so the pull will not be as great from any one area. Also, the area under the box is well protected from the elements, and I do not imagine a lot of snow would get in there. I do not believe an aftermarket intake would help you in this situation, as they pretty much all pull air from the same place. Personally, I have never had this problem, but I also don't plow any roads. Do you have a snow deflectior (or whatever its call) on the top of your plow? That should help throw the snow off to the side more, rather than up and over and into your grill. I gotta run!!!!!!!!!! Too be continued.

16. BigDave12768

After market Air box do not draw air from same place. Most are wide open taking air of top of hood an other places. But his issue is that he is over fueling with the Smarty on. He gets on to push a pile then lets off it. Almost like barking the turbo. So he is getting tons of unburnt fuel. Not sure exactly how or why its done. But When I had my Bully Dog on my truck I could put along at 45mph on the highway. Then when I had a chance to go faster the truck would pour smoke out the back. So its gota a be the controller pumping in more fuel then needed and it bogging him down becuase of lack of air. With a Stock set up for air (you really are not getting the benifits of that filter) Then once the air catched up with turbo blowing it in it will clear up.

So answwer these question. what settings is Smarty on? HP gain?

Also 1/2 Inch Hole saw is a quick cheap easy fix and will give you more power.

Post your orginal question on DTR and see what they say. i am sure you will get response like mine. Plus smarty reps read and answer questions.

Also How fast do you plow? what type of snow was it? Fluffy or heavy wet? Do you plow roads or parking lots? Is this your first plow truck?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  17. JDiepstra

I'd go with the snow deflector guard on top of the plow and see if that helps if you don't have one already.

18. BigDave12768

I dont know how you can disagree with me when neither us know all the facts. If he has the smarty on 150hp

As for Air box filling with snow. maybe his plastic well has come apart. or he is driving way to fast down the back roads

And you most own gassers becuase 90% of the Diesel air boxes are wide open at top and just protecting bottom. Only the gassers have sealed boxes off the fender like the hemi in picture abovehttp://www.dieseltruckresource.com/pics/showphoto.php?photo=23135&ppuser=43772

So having the smarty turned up on a stock air box would cause it to smoke heavily and bog the motor.

19. JDiepstra

You should read my sig line cause I have the same truck as you!

I am not even going to continue to debate with someone who thinks a Smarty will bog an engine. Also, there is no 150 hp level on a Smarty!

20. BigDave12768

thats good becuase you have no idea about mods. And you right it has 130hp then 170hp But these included settings of timimg. So if he has it on 6 with which has no timimg advance. it would over fuel the truck till the turbo caught up. Thats one of the biggst things about Smarty is how much smoke you can throw with it