1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

diesel help

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by sefh, Jan 17, 2007.

1. sefh

sefh Senior Member

My brother in law just picked up a 2003 F250 diesel with 40,000 miles on it. After looking at it I noticed that by the front passenger side fog light there was a plug. Do they come from the factory with oil or block heaters? I thought I would ask you guys first before I went tracing down wires. I was also wondering what trans do they use? Looking for a plow.
  2. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

The 7.3 Superduties had 4r100 auto, ZF5 manual.
    The 6.0L Superduties had 5r110 auto, ZF6 manual.
    I answered your other question in your other post.
  3. bigfoot1

bigfoot1 Member

Yep that is a block heater if it gets below 30 plug it in so it can heat the oil or she might not start
  4. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I have the 7.3 and the oil heater broke. It was 2 bellow last night and it was a ***** to get it started.
  5. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

If your engine will not start anywhere near 30*F then you got problems that need to be addressed. Mine has started at -12 without the heater, granted it was rough but it did start.
  6. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

I agree . Ive owned a lot of Diesel trucks and only had 1 with 250,000 miles that was hard starting when it was cold. First thing you need to know is if the glow plugs are working (relay) and then if ALL of the glow plugs are working. When my 2002 f250 was a year old with 20,000 miles 3 of the glows plugs had already burned out.