1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

diesel help

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by sefh, Jan 17, 2007.

1. sefh

sefh Senior Member

My brother in law just picked up a 2003 F250 diesel with 40,000 miles on it. After looking at it I noticed that by the front passenger side fog light there was a plug. Do they come from the factory with oil or block heaters? I thought I would ask you guys first before I went tracing down wires.

2. FORDV10

FORDV10 Member
    from CT.

You plug in the truck when it gets cold.........It helps with starting the truck under cold conditions and gets the heat going early also...Hope that helps:drinkup:...........Sorry did not answer the question properly (Block Heater) comes from Ford...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  3. Jakkle5

Jakkle5 Member
    from Mass

It helps with coolant temp more than anything but yes it does somewhat heat the oil also.

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

It is a block heater for the coolant. Put it on a timer and have it turn on 3-4 hours before he starts the truck in the morning. Should blow warm air right off the bat.

5. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

That is where the factory Ford block heater plug resides. Not to get nit picky but rather to educate, on all PSD 7.3, and 6.0L it heats the oil so it's an oil heater, it is not located in the coolant passage. The warm oil heats the coolant so both oil and water benefit. Still performs the same job of heating the engine for easier cold weather starts.

6. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

Correct!

3 hrs for temps near zero. Do not neglect to plug in under 20F.

7. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Thanks guys. I love this site for these questions helps educate everyone.