1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel guys, help!!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JustJeff, Dec 3, 2013.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I'm just back into a diesel after of many years running gas. Are you guys using additives to stop gelling in your fuel tank at all? Some guys have told me that nowadays in the Northern States (Like where I'm at), the gas companies have already added in it at the pump. Don't know if that's true or not, or if I should be adding anything when I fuel up. All feedback welcome. Thanks!

2. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

I run the white bottle from Power Service. It has a Cetane boost and prevents gelling. My truck seems to run much better with it too. Any of the Power service products are worth it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

2X for the Power Service, keep them on hand. I have never gelled up yet. I get all my fuel from one place that stays ahead but this can't hurt. I only start to add it when the temp hits the low single numbers. Right now my fuel place guarantees that it will not gel to -25.

4. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

When I first bought my 7.3l I was scared of it gelling and used power svc as the bottle rec'd. Found out the truck got worse mileage and the additive is $$. I never put it in anymore and never had an issue. I do keep a bottle of 911 or dry gas in the truck just in case. We run a few bobcats and loaders and never gel up either.

5. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

All refineries change to a winter blend of diesel come November , many report a loss of fuel milage but its better than gelling up.

6. Norsky

Norsky Junior Member
    from minn

gelling

Power service additive has worked very well for our equipment and trucks .

7. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I use the 911 stuff in my tractor, where the filter always gells up. Works great.

8. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

PS-911 will eat the fuel lines and any rubber product. If your truck gels and that's what you have to use, take off the fuel filter and water separator, drain what gelled fuel you can from them, and then top them off with 911 and re-install.
    Dumping that crap in your tank will result in a shorter engine life, and toasted injection and lift pumps.

Just use #1 diesel when it's going to be below 10*, or add a splash of seafoam or kerosene. Problem fixed without destroying your injection pump.
    Even the white bottle of P/S is nasty on lubriscosity, and that means it's hard on the pump.

9. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Not being an ass, but is that your opinion or fact? Just asking as I use it and never heard such a thing..

10. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have never had any problems with anything remotely like that happening from PS. I also run Jet-A sometimes and hear stories that it does not have any Lubricity. "It will ruin your Pump in one tank." Well so far that is a NOT. One of my trucks has 175k on it. The VP44 took a crap at 150k because the lift pump went out. Most likely if I would have put the Air Dog on before that it would still be running on the original.
    I have and have used PS in all of these at some time

05 Dodge
    01 Dodge
    06 Jeep
    98 VW
    98 Case 1840
    Kubota L3710
    Kubota DZ21

11. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

If you fill your filter with 911 , then it goes into your injection pump . How can adding some to the tank be hard on the injection pump ?

12. Norsky

Norsky Junior Member
    from minn

i have never heard of that either. have used it for years and know many others that do and have not had any problems...........

13. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I've heard it mentioned before about some products from both one of my mechanics and my Napa rep, but I don't honestly know. I've seen charts doing comparisons, but unfortunately it can be hard to source where the info came from...kind of like batteries and tires or anything else for that matter.

I've always used Stanadyne when I can find it, otherwise I often use Howes, because that's what is sold in the local truck stations, but now I read issues w/ that, even though I haven't experienced any.

Thought this was a good read of a discussion from a few years ago, but I was about ready for a nap :sleeping:after about post 25:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/844887-howes-fuel-treatment-2.html

14. Get some opti lube. You will thank me later