1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

diesel gelled up!!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by baddboygeorge, Jan 29, 2007.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

any quick method of thawing a diesel system out ! my tank is gelled up an i cant get fuel to the engine! i guess a good heater an a few tarps is the only way to get it thawed out! any other advice?? thanks George

2. JeepCreepn01

JeepCreepn01 Senior Member
    from Ohio

plug it in, it will help

3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Or get it into a heated garage for a few hours. You should thaw the whole thing out though, and then add a antigelling agent

4. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

i thought the heater is for coolant only ?

heated garage for a day it will all come back to life i am running a quart of 2 cycle oil with each tank havent used any additives yet other than that

5. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

George
    Whats going on didnt your block heater work for you. If you can just do as they said roll into some where warm and wrap it up.
    bik
    YOU put 2 cycle oil in your fuel tank????:eek:

6. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Try plugging it in first. If that doesn't work, Power Service makes an emergency de-gelling additive that you can use, it is different than their regular winter blend. I would recommend using the gray bottle in the warm months to keep your injectors clean & the white bottle in the winter to prevent gelling.

7. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

Am I missing something here? I thought the block heater only heated the block, not the tanks. And another thing, how is he supposed to get it to a heated shop when it won't start?

8. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Well first off dont buy crappy fuel :nono: lol yea just put it in somewhere warm for a while and then some antigelling agent and fuel treatment to get rid of moisture should work good.

9. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

It does heat the block but there could be a chance its in the line He should still PUSHwesport into somewhere warm.

10. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Apparently nobody here has tried to push their diesels into a warm place. If you guys are like me, it is really hard to find volunteers to help me on this task.

As for the plug, it depends on what brand of truck he has. On the Cummins, it is actually a grid heater, on the others, I think it is a block heater to keep the oil from gelling.

11. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Get a metal pan and fill it up with Charcoal. Let the Charcoal burn down till just hot ash and slid the pan under when it's jelled up. Never tried it before, but know truckers do it when there big rigs are gelled up.

12. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

Get some power service 911(red bottle). I would try taking your fuel filter out and pouring a little in there as well.

13. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

yeah its called diesel 911

14. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I see it mentioned above...

Link;

http://www.powerservice.com/diesel_911.asp

From now on I wouldnt fill up with out some Power service in the white bottle.I ran it every tank since 1991 and NEVER had a fuel system freeze up!

p91196-32hr.jpg

15. blk90s13

yes sir i add a quart of wallmart universal 2-cycle oil to each full tank of diesel fuel in my truck

if you have a couple of hours read this thread

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/a...lubricants/4054-first-time-w-2stroke-oil.html

16. oldmankent

Drain your water fuel seperator too. You might have more water in there then you think, and it could be freezing up enough to screw you.

17. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

you don't need anything fancy to prevent gelling, just get some ATF and use about 1/2 a quart to a full tank and you won't have to worry about it again, and it's less than 1/2 the cost of all the other anti gelling stuff. That is what Ryder uses in all of thier trucks and they have ALOT of them

18. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Don't use ATF!!! I have heard many people say they used it in their old trucks, but when they used it in their new ones, it caused some problems w/ the fuel system.

19. blk90s13

yea atf is not good for newer trucks

20. oldmankent

Don't use ATF. Use Power Service or Standyne. I prefer Stanadyne. You really shouldn't need any additive though, the winter blend has plenty of anti gelling stuff in it. Maybe you got crappy fuel, or you don't drive your truck much, so you have summer fuel in it. But I'd think summer fuel would even be ok unless it is really cold.