1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel fuel $$$$$

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawn king, Jan 10, 2006.

1. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Diesel was $2.99 in Quincy Ma. yesterday! How can fuel be on the rise when we are in a warm spell?
  2. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

Corporate bs. It's cold out side so the price goes up, there is a strom brewing the price goes up, summer demand the price goes up, there is a shortage the price goes up, there is a snow storm the price goes up, their is an oil man for pres the price goes up. Any other excuse the price goes up!
  3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Paid $2.31 a gal in MI, $2.26 in IN, and $2.17 in IL on friday.

Guess it depends on where you are.
  4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

My dad and I were talking about this today. It is all because it is now too warm. It needs to be exactly 42.009876 degrees for the prices to go down. It was looking for a while that prices were on their way down. Gas around here is up to $2.33 and diesel was "ONLY" $2.74. What is worst is that everyone seems to be accepting the hike in prices. There is little to nothing about it in the news! I think it is time foe something to happen. Not many people will be able to take this much longer. Oh well, what can we do?!:gunsfiring: :cool:
  5. Jto89

Jto89 Member

diesel was 2.49 in raynham mass. that is the cheapest i have seen around hear.
  6. Crash935

Many people dont realize that the high cost of diesel hits everyone in the pocket. Fuel surcharges are charged by every trucking company to help offset the cost of fuel. That surcharge is passed on to the truck owners. However, the cost of consumer goods are increased so that the distributor, manufacturer and anyone else who ships by truck can recover what they had to pay in fuel surcharge to get their goods to the consumer.
  7. pools&plowingct

pools&plowingct Member

i would love to see 2.49 a gal for diesel i ampayin 2.69 the rest of the city is 2.79-2.85
  8. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

$2.93 in West Chester, Pa and diesel is always higher in winter because it is almost the same as home heating oil and in winter because of supply and demand it goes up and so does diesel prices
  9. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I have been filling up for 2.49- 2.54 at the same station. The price has been floating back and forth between the two.
  10. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Well I'm paying $2.70 for diesel in RI, but now gas seems to be creeping up, too, at $2.36 for the cheapest spots. I would like to see diesel back down below the price of regular gas again. :realmad:

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i am paying $2.40 for diesel here in minnesota.:waving:
  12. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

$2.49 for diesel, $2.31 for gasoline here in Northwestern Illinois
  13. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Bingo! my daytime job is loading company trucks. Just the other day I was offered .88 cents per mile including fuel. I told the broker that would work 2 years ago MAYBE... It would cost my company to movefreight for that.
  14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You act like there is something we can do- what do you suggest? Stop buying diesel fuel and switch to gas trucks? Gas goes up too. I know, how about we all walk our routes and shovel by hand instead- no fuel cost at all.....

The US has been behind the rest of the world in fuel prices for decades- we are finally catching up. Look at Canada for gas prices- been average $4.00 equivelant per gallon for how long? Italy and Germany have been $6.00 + equivelant per gallon for how long? The fact is more countries are developing and that requires fuel, both gas and diesel. There are many problems that have contributed to the current prices:

First supply- the Arabs only open the taps to barrel a given amount of oil a day- the less they barrel the higher the price (greed). The US bleeding heart environmentalists have been against the construction of a new refinery and successfully fought them for over a decade. The current refineries are running at close to capacity, no new capacity means no capability to refine more crude.

And demand- third world countries are needing more fuel to become 2nd world countries. Look at the growth in India and Pakistan for manufacturing in the past several years. Where have all the US jobs gone? Industry needs fuel. Increased demand to a market that did not exist 20 years ago (even 10 years ago really). War takes fuel. Like it or not, agree with it or not, the war takes fuel. Diesel fuel specifically. Tanks and trucks are mostly diesel powered, heli's and jets use jet fuel which is highly refined Kerosene, which is, yup, diesel further refined.
    The airline industry uses jet fuel....heavy shipping from oil transport tankers to cruise ships consume massive amounts of diesel fuel....

How do we reduce fuel costs- change fuel sources, find more crude, refine more crude, more effeciant engines.

They're debating on opening the Alaska refuge for oil exploration because of the constant complaints about paying $2.25 for gas and $2.69 for diesel (that's been the steady price from Framingham through Marlboro for weeks for diesel). The environmentalists STILL refuse to allow construction of a new refinary- which would take between 7 and 10 years to become complete- not operational just complete. Alternative technologies are becoming available. There's a company in Canada that developed and is marketing a hydrogen generator injection system for diesel trucks. It is self contained and uses the electrical system to generate hydrogen which is added to the air in take system of a diesel engine reduceing emissions, increasing power and increasing fuel economy.
  15. GSE

GSE Senior Member

You absolutely hit the nail square on the head! :salute:
  16. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

So, which is it? If we buy more oil the prices will go down. Then, you suggest to reduce fuel costs we change fuel sources, find more crude, etc. If this were the case we would stil be buying less oil from teh Arabs, thus increasing fuel prices.

On a different note, there is a HUGE difference between the oil found in the Gulf of Mexico and Alaska and the oil found in the middle east. The oil in the Gulf and Alaska is called crude oil. The oil in the middle east is called sweet oil. Sweet oil is used in the manufacture of gasoline & diesel products. No one has an efficient means of refining crude oil into gasoline & diesel. That's why we don't use our own oil as much as we should. We do need to figure a way to economically refine crude oil, that's for certain.

I really just don't understand why diesel costs so much more than gasoline when diesel costs less to refine. That one really puzzles me. I know the demand for diesel is great right now for the armed forces. Maybe we are being "rationed" diesel LOL.
  17. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

That's what I don't get. Why is diesel costing us more to buy than gasoline? It fluctuates so awkwardly.
  18. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, its bullsh*t.........:rolleyes:
  19. Crash935

You act like there is something we can do.

NO, theres not much we can do, I posted that so that people would realize that even though they dont drive a diesel vehicle the price of diesel still effects everyone in the end. Without the fuel surcharged being passed onto the consumer in the long run we wouldnt be able to afford to move the freight.

I have been buying bio-deisel, even though its the same price. The biggest problem is that the oil companies lobby to prevent alternative fuels from being produce and brought to the public. Think about it, we subsidize farmers not to grow crops when the crops they could grow can produce altrenative fuels. If you can get an alternative to market, does a station switch wholly to the alternatives or tear everthing up to add tanks and pumps, at the stations expense, to carry both types of fuels.

As for why prices go up in the winter, heating oil and diesel are produced for the same parts of a barrel of oil, so they are kind of stuck, do we make heating oil or diesel, heating oil wins this time of year.
  20. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran