1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

diesel fuel?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cumminswithplow, Dec 22, 2004.

1. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

This is my first diesel pickup. Went to the gas stop tonight. Had 4 choices for fuel. What are the differences? Which one should I use? Offroad (which i know isnt for me). I use that in my skid loader.Then there was no 1, no 2, and diesel premium. There was quite a difference in price. Ranging from $1.45 for the offroad. All the way to $2.12 for the premium. and then nuimber 2 winterized was $1.94. So can you guys help me out? Thanks.

2. wls

wls Senior Member

I use the winterized, Probably #2, most of the time, but put premium in once and a great while. :)

3. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

If you in Alaska you should use #1, for other areas #2 just fine.
    I always add 12oz of Power Service additive (go to wallmart) for 35 gal of fuel.
    Have a great Holidays!!!!! :drinkup:

4. somm

somm Senior Member

We been doing the same as k has past 5 years with our (#2) diesel. Power Service is currently less than $5 at our local Walmart, enough to treat 100 gals., stabilizes and improves winter performance. We use #2 Diesel, and be sure you've changed out engine oil to 10-W-30, or the lighter viscosity recommended in your owners manual, for easier, less sluggish and smoky cold weather starts.

5. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

Hi Somm! Have you consider using Rotella 15-40 oil? This is the only one that I and all of my friends use in my truck and Kubota Diesel. Same thing, You can get it in Wallmart for a bit over $6 a galon.

6. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

i just got done taking my truck to the dealer because i didnt want to start, i thought it was the glow plugs but he said that the cetain rating was so low that is why. Its supose to be around 40 for a diesel and mine was at 19 so be carful what and where you buy your diesel fuel. The station where i use to buy is crap so i now go to gas city where they say what the rating is and my truck starts fine now. So i persoally would mix a some premium in with the #2 truck will start easy also run better.

7. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

1fast4X4--heres the Facts On DIESEL FUEL--#1 is KERO--It will Run in Your Diesel--but--dose NOT have the Lubracation Qualities of #2--#2 is Regular Diesel & its the Same as Home Heating OIL--only Differance between ON & Off Road Diesel Fuels ?--is--Home Heating #2 & Regular Diesel is--Home Heating #2 has a Dye Added--so its Color is a Pinkish w/a Purple Tint!-- & OFF Road is CLEAR a Straw Color--& WINTER Diesel Fuel is a BLEND of #2 & #1 -[KERO]--Here in MAINE usually 60% # 2 & 40% KERO--& Some Construction Contractors Here Order Winter Blend Mixed 50-50--Here in MAINE the Politicians Hungry for MONEY Passed a LAW that If? a TRUCKER is Caught? w/ OFF Road Fuel in His Fuel Tank or Tanks? [the Pinkish Fuel w/ the Purple Tint!]--such as the Trucker has been Using OFF Road Fuel? Pumped Out of His Home Heating Fuel Tank? which COST a few Cents per Gallon Less!--the FINE IS! 100 Dollars per Gallon of His Trucks Fuel CAPICTY! which IS! a very Stiff FINE! & Here all Diesel Vehicles have to BUY a Diesel Fuel Permit IF? the Vehicles Fuel Capicity is over 30 Gallons!--as a few Politicians Here Drive Diesel Powered Cars w/ Capicities Under 30 Gallons -THUS! their EXEMPT--Nice HUH?--Ole JIM--

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Jim seems to be correct, but your formatting is very hard to read.

#1 fuel oil is Kerosene- it lacks the lubrication to burn except in special conditions.
    #2 fuel oil is normal Diesel fuel, now add dye to it and remove the road tax and you have home heating oil AND off road diesel. Same stuff. The die is a FEDERAL requirment and carries a FEDERAL fine in all states because you are avoiding paying road tax. Only off road exclusive vehicles can use it- in ME logging equipment that NEVER drives on the roads can use it as do tractors, dozers etc. Also called Farm Diesel (no road taxes)

If you live in a climate that you are reading this board then you have snow and your stations will all have winterized diesel as normal diesel because of the cload point and gell point- it would be clouded or gelled in the semi's for delivery and in the stations tanks. All you have to do is ask the station manager when they start recieving winterized shipments they will gladly tell you. I add Power Service to mine in addition to the winterizer they use because it also cleans the injectors and claims to help- I have never noticed any improvements in the milage or power but it does keep it from freezing over.

Never mix Kero and #2 unless you know exactly what your doing- you can easily destroy the injector pump. Most important - Read your owner manual it clearly says what fuel to use (#1/#2/winterized) for your climate and what engine oil viscosity to use for your climate. 10-30 is too light unless your in northern Montanna, Alaska, etc. And Make sure no matter what oil you use it MUST be diesel rated (SD/CH-4+)

I have been useing Mobil 1 15w50 Full synthetic for 5 years no smokeing issues- no oil flow problems reguardless of how cold it gets (this stuff pours like water down to like 10F) and it was the only full synthetic that was Diesel rated and easily available at the time (Amsoil was but not easy to get)