1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

diesel fuel conditioner

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Winterworks, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Winterworks

Winterworks PlowSite.com Veteran

What is everyone using for diesel fuel conditioner? I have been using stuff called Diesel Treat. I have also heard of adding auto transmission fluid to the fuel. Does anyone do that?

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I use stanadyne blue label diesel fuel supplement. The atf was for the older diesels, I dont think they recommend using it.
    Dino

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have also heard of guys mixing in a little kerosene. Not sure if it helps much. I like using blue label as well. Never had a problem with my trucks.

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

The kerosene just thins it out more but you shouldn't put to much into the tank I used to go 80/20 mix never had a problem.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Winter works,I use deisel treat 2000,by Shaeffers,is that what you use? the only difference is the 2000 has winterizer in it for cold weather antigelling.The shaeffers is the top of the line,if not the best deisel treatment out there IMHO.

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Back when, when taxed OTR fuel was dyed red, you would add ATF to nontaxed fuel to give it the red tint. Now that the colors have changed its not necessary anymore ;)

7. Winterworks

The diesel treat that I use is made by Howes. I heard that ATF cleans injectors?

8. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

In Michigan the off-road fuel is dyed red. So adding ATF could get you a huge fine.

A little kerosene or even a little gasoline will help prevent gelling, and even help after the fuel has gelled (for those that have that happen). Both are basically deisel fuel that has been refined even futher.

I wouldn't use more than about a half gallon per 20 gallons of deisel.

I wouldn't use ATF at all. It has too many additives. Some of which are to increase friction.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2001
  9. Winterworks

Thanks folks,
    I guess I will keep using my Howes, I can't seem to get the other stuff mentioned up here.

10. cgthoman

cgthoman Junior Member
    from Maine

conditioner

I have a 93 chevy with 222300 mls on it. I've been using Diesel Fuel Supplement, and swithced to Lucas, available at Napa. I started using both the oil and fuel additive. I've gained almost 5 miles per gal. It was recommended to me from a farm diesel mechanic.:) Atf cleans injectors, I was told no more than one quart per 30 gals. of fuel. Never tried it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2001
  11. cgthoman

cgthoman Junior Member
    from Maine

conditioner

I have a 93 chevy with 222300 mls on it. I've been using Diesel Fuel Supplement, and swithced to Lucas, available at Napa. I started using both the oil and fuel additive. I've gained almost 5 miles per gal. It was recommended to me from a farm diesel mechanic.:)