1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

diesel engines

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fordman, Nov 4, 2001.

1. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I'm looking at buying a truck with a 7.3L diesel. Iwas wondering what would be considered to be high mileage for this engine ?
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

im getting 18-20 mpg with my duramax, and its a 6.6 liter. im guessing you would get anywhere from 14-18 mpg
  3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

I think he was talking about how many miles were ON the truck.

200,000 is high mileage.

The new powerstokes should easily go that, the older IDI tended to start hard after 150,000 in cold weather.

They're great engines, but don't have the life expectancy of a 5.9L Cummins.
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

With all used INTL engines, make sure that the coolant has been treated all of the engines life. If not pin holes will form between the cylinder and water jacket at #8 cyl. Its a condition called cavitation.
  5. captjack

captjack Member

I have 2 service trucks in the 300's and still going strong.
    1 is a 7.3 - 1 is a 6.9. My personal truck is a 95 crew cab 4x4
    power stroke, and it has 220k miles on it and seems to run better
    check out ford-diesel.com for info on ford diesels
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I think that 200,000 is a good number. Of course this all depends on how the engine has been serviiced.
  7. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We run 4 plow trucks 2 of which our 7.3 liter. 1 is a 97 Powerstroke f350 4wd get 20mpg city and other is a dual wheel 90 internation diesel 14mpg dual wheels and 10 dump. 4wd and they will run well over 300k if maintained reg